Cheat or "Free" Days/ Rewards

Options
How many of you allow yourselves an occasional cheat (not sure if that's a good word for it but I'm going with that) day? What does that look like for you in terms of what you can or can't eat? Or do you reward yourself once in a while with a treat? How often do you do that and what is your reward?

Replies

• ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If it's a cheat day, I never go over on caloric limit. I do, however, pay lesser mind to my macronutrient ratios, such that I don't mind having more carbs.

That said, there would unequivocally be no junk food even after adjusting that. I might opt to have noodles and extra fruit or something.
  • LSinVA
    LSinVA Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't really allow myself a whole day because I find I will go way over when I do. Unless it's a super special occasion (i.e. weddings. Christmas etc), I make sure I track everything. It keeps me accountable.

Instead, I will allow myself a cheat meal once a week if I feel like I need it. I still watch portions and extras but not as strictly. A cheat meal, as opposed to the whole day, usually keeps me within my calorie goal and allows me to feel like I can still have the foods I love without the guilt.
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just fit stuff that I like (ice cream, chocolate, pies, milkshakes, etc) into my calories and macros. I don't do cheat days because I can do some major damage in 24 hours :)

There are special occasions like weddings/vacations that I'll slack off a little bit, but its few and far between.
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    I do not reward myself with food, I prefer patting myself on the back, buying a nice bodycream, going for a haircut, buying a smaller size skirt, getting a facial. All this in order to reinforce what I have accomplished.

As far as having food that are not part of what I eat on a daily basis, I do not stress about that, if ice cream is offered I might take some but in a smaller quantity and work it into my daily goal or I might go for a longer walk.

Definitly I do not view food as a reward, it does not wirk for me.
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I basically eat whatever I want within my calorie goal... If I want a piece of pizza I will have one, but just one and not everyday after that. I find it helps me avoid full blown cheat days, and I would never eat whatever for a whole day.. If I do get into a mood where I just wanna stuff my face, oh well I workout almost everyday and it happens, were human. BUT I try to save those binges for vacation, holidays, family gatherings, my birthday.
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days because I can do some major damage in 24 hours :)

Same here!! 24 hours can be dangerous!
  • tattoogal77
    tattoogal77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used to give myself a cheat day but I have come to realize that the one cheat day turns into a whole weekend of cheats. So I think its a better idea to allow yourself to eat what you would usually consider a cheat food/meal, but make sure you stay within your daily calorie goal. You may find that those "cheat" foods become less frequent because they take up so much of your calorie allotment.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    How many of you allow yourselves an occasional cheat (not sure if that's a good word for it but I'm going with that) day?
    It's a common practice that seems to work for some people. I don't do it because it's contrary to my approach which was and continues to be to stop thinking of food as reward or entertainment. However, there is no food that is completely banned from my allowable foods. Anything is permissible in small amounts that keep me within my caloric and nutritional goals.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    About once a month, I'll go over maintenance on a Mexican food meal with a lot of tortillas and chips. I'll probably still be under goal for the week and doing so hasn't stopped me from losing weight.

I don't think of it as a reward, I just think of it as something I really like but that won't fit within a reasonable (daily) calorie goal for me, so it has to be offset in other ways because I'm simply not willing to give it up entirely.
  • daviesdavies8888
    daviesdavies8888 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat meal yesterday, regret it as now I feel like I have undone the progress I made in the week.

Won't be going overboard again next week.
  • bronsted93
    bronsted93 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days because I can do some major damage in 24 hours :)

PREACH. :laugh:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I try to never think of food or drink as a reward.

Nor do I think of splurges as "cheating" or "free" (cheating on a lifestyle doesn't make sense to me).

I do splurge from time to time when I really want to. But make sure not to over board.
    Splurges, for me, aren't built into the calendar, aren't based on achieving a certain goal. Rather they are naturally occurring indulgences with my family. Pizza night and the like.

I also take pajama days where I do nothing outside the home, and no exercise. I stay in, read, nap, watch netflix.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't reward myself with food. I will splurge on holidays or my birthday.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days/meals. If I want something, and it fits in my daily goal, I eat it. If it doesn't fit, I either don't eat it or walk/run it off later. I've gone over my calories for the day on here once in 67ish days.

I treat myself with stuff I want that's NOT food. When I hit 25 pounds lost I bought Dolce, by Dolce and Gabana - it's a perfume that I was lusting after. Next up is a running tank from Nike that I really want.

I don't think having a treat day/meal (I like treat instead of cheat) is a bad thing, it's just not for me.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat day, was at a bbq at a friends lake house and it took me almost a week to recover. I didnt over eat but still it wasnt a good food day. I am still in the learning process of this new lifestyle and really dont want to jeopardize my progress so far. If a treat will fit into my day I may have something but no more absent minded eating for me...
  • nige101
    nige101 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There are special occasions like weddings/vacations that I'll slack off a little bit, but its few and far between.

this :-)
  • These_goto_11
    These_goto_11 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I also take pajama days where I do nothing outside the home, and no exercise. I stay in, read, nap, watch netflix.

Love, love, love Pajama days! I try to do one every 2-3 months, preferably when it's raining!

As far as cheat days...

If I go way over my calorie goal, I feel like crap,
    If I cheat and have a cigarette, I feel like damnit (quit around Memorial Day haven't cheated in a few weeks)
    If I drink too much beer, I feel like worthless the next day

So I just don't do that stuff, I still like pizza and beer, but in moderation.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    no cheat days for me. my biggest reward is getting fitter and healthier. i wouldn't want to sabotage that with extra calories one day a week that i then need to make up for. or if i have something extra, i keep it within 150 calories of normal and make it up with a brisk walk.

i eat foods i love every day, and that way every meal is a treat and i feel satisfied. i have a half square of sees milk chocolate most days - it's 28 calories, and i let it slowly melt on my tongue. i also have a bowl of cereal, milk or soy milk and 2 tsp xylitol before bed, which for me is a treat and i budget my daily calories so it fits in. some days i have a serving of potato chips as part of a meal. and i've created a guacamole recipe that's absolutely yummy - i look forward to it a lot. i have it with 3/4 of a serving of blue corn chips.

what i'm trying to say - life is too short to eat foods that aren't delicious. make sure that everything you eat is one of your favorite foods and you won't feel deprived or need to "cheat" :)
  • katnewk
    katnewk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like my cocktails so one day a week I will have a couple glasses of dry red wine or tequilla lime and diet sprite or gin and diet tonic ect ..... I will also cheat on vacations. I feel it may slow my progress a little but keeps me on track for the long run... which is good as I would rather be heavy then not enjoy life.... I will probably be really bad with the up coming holiday ( the 4th of July) but back on track the 5th.... with no regrets ... its a planned no guilt cheat
  • xxharleyquinnxx
    xxharleyquinnxx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I used to have two every weekend where I would just eat whatever and never log o_O however now I allow myself one per week but make sure I log (and sometimes I don't even have a cheat day in a week) or on on occasions I will have a cheat day where I don't count at all, however this is like if it is a special occasion like if I go out drinking (I do this like once every two months or something). I have found that it has spurred on my weight loss not having one every weekend but if you do have one then make sure you just pick yourself up because there is always tomorrow :)