Sore muscles.

Options
dave4d
dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
I've heard you aren't supposed to work a muscle if it is still sore. Here's my dilemma. I have just started exercising again last week. I did a leg workout a week ago but I've also uppped the intensity of my cardio. I went to work my legs yesterday but noticed on the first squat my legs were still sore, probably from running. Should I work them anyway knowing they are already sore from the cardio, or should I wait to do leg workouts until they aren't getting sore from a cardio workout?

Replies

• scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My legs were hurting on Monday evening because of a workout that morning, so I didn't work out Tuesday morning since they were still so sore. I ended up deciding to work out Tuesday night and then had a super hot shower afterwards, and my legs felt so much better.

I think it's ok as long as you know it's not an injury and just from working out. Your muscles do need time to heal though, so every single day isn't healthy either, but don't put it off a week or something just because they're sore.
  • bethann1976
    Options
    I find that light cardio helps my sore muscles feel better more quickly. And I'm a big believer in just listening to my body -- if it hurts too badly, I stop.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Typically your body does need rest. This rest priod allows your muscle to rebuild. If you did a HIGH intensity Cardio session the day before, your legs may need a break especially if they are sore.

Soreness, as long as it's muscle fatigue not pulls or strains, are a good thing. This means your muscle tissue has broke down a little and will repair and build that lean muscle that is so great for buring fat!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I find working out with sore muscles is OK... usually the exersise decreases the tightness, just take it easy, if I didn't work out every time I was sore, I'd only work out once a week! haha
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I intend to still do cardio with the sore muscles. My biggest goal right now is fat loss anyway. I'm thinking if my muscles are getting sore from a cardio session though, I might be better off waiting to do the weights to work those muscles, at least until I'm not getting so sore from the cardio. After last weeks weight session, I could hardly walk for a week, but I kept doing light cardio. It hurt too much to run, but the elliptical trainer and walking on the treadmill was ok.

Thanks for all your answers.
  • When you first start working out, legs can stay sore for several days. But they are actually the most important muscle to work since they are the biggest, strongest muscles. I have worked sore legs many times and done fine, but there are a couple of things to remember. First, be sure it is just soreness not an injury. Also, you may want to lighten up a bit or go less intense while they are still sore. But most importantly, stretch good both before and after a leg workout. Of course, you should do it for every workout, but legs will get much more sore than other body parts so spend a good amount of time (5-10 minutes) before and after to help lessen and prevent soreness.
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    BUMP

I had a PT session the day before yesterday and - man, did you do a good job - I can barely get up from my chair today!

It's too painful for comfort (slight muscle sore, I do not find unpleasant at all), but at least I know that I took a good beating that makes me stronger.

Shoulders etc. are fine, so I'm planning to cycle to the gym today to loosen up my legs and focus on my upper body today.