Fitbit - has anyone had progress with one?

Options
I'm thinking of purchasing a Fitbit. Wondering if anyone has made progress. I'm also not sure whether to buy the 'one' or the 'flexi'
Welcome your thoughts.

Replies

• kmburrowes
    Options
    Love it! I have the One and it has encouraged me to get active. it is amazing how this tiny thing begins to rule your life! I\lost 2 lbs in 3 days, that is only how long I have had it, but my daughters have both had them for a while andthey have each lost about 25 lbs.
  • suze2008
    suze2008 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am currently using a Fitbit zip and it has really helped me to keep going with my walking. This has made a big difference for me as it helps me to set goals and reach them. I walk 2.5 to 6 miles every day - on streets, beach and hills. I am thinking about getting the flex so I can track even more,, and not have to worry about leaving it clipped to clothing! It has only dropped into water once, but don't want to take the chance again!. I have 1o pounds left to go!
  • DarkStarBurning
    DarkStarBurning Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've got a Fitbit One and I love it, it really pushes you to do a few hundred more steps and to run up those stairs. I winced a bit at the price, but I have zero willpower and really needed the nudge. I've been using it 2 weeks and have lost 5lbs on a mostly walking-based exercise routine.
  • geeners81
    geeners81 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i have the Fitbit One and love it. I look at it.. and it will remind me i need to step up the pace to get to my goal. I feel naked without mine
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get the flex but I need to upgrade my phone (I still have iPhone 3GS) for it to be compatible. Iphone is coming out with a new iPhone in the fall which I'm hoping to get, but now I hear that iPhone is also coming out with an iPhone watch that is similar to the fitness wristbands so now I'm planning on waiting a bit.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Correction: Apple is coming out with an iWatch or something like that I hear.
  • 4realthistime1
    4realthistime1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Morning fitbit gurus! I have a question. I recently got a flex and it seemed to be working ok the first 2 weeks. But about 3 days ago it has started deducting calories from diary. Ex this morning I wake up. Didn't even get out of bed and it said I burned 220 calories, so I checked MFP and it took 220 away from my daily goal! I haven't logged anything yet but it's telling me I only have 1320 calories for the day instead of 1540. I have the negative calories enabled and the setting to lightly active... any ideas what happened? Thanks in advance and have a great day!
  • Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I like it. I got it for the same reason that I got a food scale. In the case of the scale--I can't force as much food into a 1/2 cup measuring cup and call it a serving anymore, it shows me just how much I put into that serving. For the fitbit, it shows me just how much I have been up and moving. No more guessing how active I have been. I have lost 6 pounds since getting it about 3 weeks ago.

I would recommend it!
  • drummygurl
    drummygurl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the flex. I love it. I'm addicted. A co-worker/friend has the FitBit One and we compete. I've lost 37 pounds in 6 months just by hitting 10,000 steps a day. I sometimes go for 15,000 and I sometimes run. But the majority of my weight loss came from a 500 daily calorie deficit on MFP and walking with my FitBit. Best present my husband ever got me!
  • vikkiec12
    vikkiec12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Morning fitbit gurus! I have a question. I recently got a flex and it seemed to be working ok the first 2 weeks. But about 3 days ago it has started deducting calories from diary. Ex this morning I wake up. Didn't even get out of bed and it said I burned 220 calories, so I checked MFP and it took 220 away from my daily goal! I haven't logged anything yet but it's telling me I only have 1320 calories for the day instead of 1540. I have the negative calories enabled and the setting to lightly active... any ideas what happened? Thanks in advance and have a great day!

I've only had the flex for about 10 days but I think what happens is : because you've set it to slightly active, the flex will estimate how many calories you should burn in a day, based on you being active. As you walk more your negative amount will get less and less, but if you don't burn as much as the flex is thinking you should burn, it will stay as a negative amount. Basically you have to burn as much as a 'slightly active' person (according to fitbit) in order to not get a negative adjustment. Bit hard to explain but hope this makes sense? :)
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just recently got a Fitbit One. I am still establishing my average level of activity but will soon be challenging myself to beat my average every day and to try to beat my PRs. I love it!
  • Fallingsakura
    Fallingsakura Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - I'm definitely going to give it a go. I'm wondering is the flex compatible with an iPad as my iPhone is quite old?:smile:
  • drummygurl
    drummygurl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies - I'm definitely going to give it a go. I'm wondering is the flex compatible with an iPad as my iPhone is quite old?:smile:

The FitBits sync wirelessly with the iPad 3, 4, Mini & Air.
  • Fallingsakura
    Fallingsakura Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I just have a iPad 2. Though my daughter has a 4s phone. I'm deliberating.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Is it an iPad 3 or later?
    https://www.fitbit.com/devices

I lost 35 lbs. with a Fitbit in 2010. I use a One now. The clip-ons are more accurate than the wrist models, not that you really need accuracy, but just as a point of comparison. I would probably be happy with a $59 Zip since I don't use the sleep monitoring or alarms.

Be sure and buy it from an authorized reseller. A lot of them don't work out of the box. A local store for quick exchange is my preference.

Are you a Costco member? My warehouse has the Flex with 3 bands for like $90, I think.
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I did because it really helped me see how many calories I burned during regular work day vs lounging around. I adjusted my calories accordingly.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options

I just use Pacer on phone for tracking steps, but it does have a negative adjustment you can turn on. I assume Fit bit has something similar. MFP will track progress as will secondary device (Fit Bit / Pacer, others).. You can select if you want MFP to negatively adjust based on data from other device.

In MFP click on Exercise Tab, then look under Cadio. Mine shows: Pacer Calorie Adjustment. You may see something there. Click the little icon to the side and it should show options
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Not 'progress' per say... I've used my Fitbit for maintenance. It keeps me accountable and nudges me to keep up my active lifestyles instead of lapsing back to laziness.

I've maintained my 66 pound weight loss for over 2 years now. I got the Fitbit after I met my goal weight. While I was losing, I had a BodyMedia, but I think I Fitbit would have worked just as well.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Love mine, reminds me to keep moving and I am in competition with my hubby for the amount of steps in a day (I'm winning so far ha ha). I usually do 13000+ steps in a day outside of workout time. I find it useful tracking my cardio/ lifting times. Also the sleep tracking reminds me to get enough sleep - something I was not doing. Wont sync with my phone because it is too old so I just sync with my computer once a day
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I had a FitBit One, and I was mixed about it. I really liked seeing how much I walked and how many stairs I did, and it totally DID help me move around more in a time when I wasn't able to get to the gym very often.

On the negative side... I found that it gave me too many calories for my given activity. Even with my stats put in and stride lengths measured, when I ate back all the calories it gave me when syncing to MFP, I slowly but steadily gained weight. So I disconnected it from MFP and just used it as a pedometer to keep active, but I don't trust its calorie measurement anymore.

And then I lost it earlier in the spring anyway, and I don't feel the need to replace it. I'm now able to go to the gym and run regularly, so I don't need it to nudge me into keeping active any more.