Some ridiculously simple advice...

Options
...Please don't get disheartened by fluctuations in the number on the scale!!!
Remember weight loss is not linear....
So if on weigh-in day not only have you not lost the 1lb you wanted to lose that week but you've actually "gained" a lb - don't get disheartened. Next time you weigh yourself, the "gain" will likely have come off, may be even with another pound or two.
Being entirely honest, I am motivated by the scale moving downwards. And can be discouraged when I see a gain.
What matters is to KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING and hang in there and the TREND will be downwards :)
(I know this is simple advice but I have stumbled so many times being disappointed with a number even when it could be fluid retention from exercise etc etc. and it's easy to give in when you don't see the scale move consistently downwards. Oh and weighing once a week instead of every day is a good thing!)
Good luck everyone :)

Replies

• epadmeister
    epadmeister Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    bumping for whenever I need a basic reality check! Too many times now I've hopped on the scale after a week's hard work, looked down and thought "...oh :(" Damn right Kitty! Let's just keep doing what we're doing and get healthy for good! Life is about waaay more than just numbers on a damn scale :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Great advice!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Nice advice! I'd just add in that weekly recording is good but a daily weigh in helps to track the fluctuation trends too.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been weighing every day, but only recording the losses. Cheating? I don't know. Maybe, but it's a super bump when I reach a new low and get to record it, and a challenge to reverse a gain so I can record a new loss.

Maybe when I get closer to a maintenance weight I'll just record weekly to keep from gaining again.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do a full wheel someday, like OP. :) that's a beautiful pose you got there...
  • albayin
    Options
    well I have been doing what I have been doing for over 2 years...my scale hasn't budged, not even a pound...I guess I must be doing things way too wrong...
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been weighing every day, but only recording the losses. Cheating? I don't know.

Lots of folks do it this way. Not cheating at all. I get on the scale almost every day but only am recording Sundays. Whatever floats your boat.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. Just for fun, really. What I've noticed is that it really helps me know exactly when my period is going to start. It's pretty amazing, really.
  • BenneiK
    BenneiK Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been weighing every day, but only recording the losses. Cheating? I don't know.

Not cheating, I do this too. It's interesting to see how my weight fluctuates, and I love getting to record the new low! Also, it kind of becomes a motivator to see how often I get to record a new low!
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I recently read a thread about doing a moving average. Weigh every day (maybe create a new category on your check-in page called "daily weight"), and once a week do an average for the week and log that as your official weight. It's supposed to help you see your real progress, without the noise of those daily fluctuations. I really like that idea.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I weigh like once or twice a month,,otherwise I get a little OCD about it..lol..this way is nice to see a 2-4 lb loss just about every time.
  • laura328
    laura328 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you Kitty! Exactly what I needed to be reminded of. Sometimes that darn scale ruins my whole day!
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do a full wheel someday, like OP. :) that's a beautiful pose you got there...

*blush* why thank you!
    I am crazy flexible - a combo of genetics and 18 years of yoga!
    sorry to hear you're weight isn't budging the way you want it to :/
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I recently read a thread about doing a moving average. Weigh every day (maybe create a new category on your check-in page called "daily weight"), and once a week do an average for the week and log that as your official weight. It's supposed to help you see your real progress, without the noise of those daily fluctuations. I really like that idea.

I like the sound of this!
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    ...Please don't get disheartened by fluctuations in the number on the scale!!!
    Remember weight loss is not linear....
    So if on weigh-in day not only have you not lost the 1lb you wanted to lose that week but you've actually "gained" a lb - don't get disheartened. Next time you weigh yourself, the "gain" will likely have come off, may be even with another pound or two.
    Being entirely honest, I am motivated by the scale moving downwards. And can be discouraged when I see a gain.
    What matters is to KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING and hang in there and the TREND will be downwards :)
    (I know this is simple advice but I have stumbled so many times being disappointed with a number even when it could be fluid retention from exercise etc etc. and it's easy to give in when you don't see the scale move consistently downwards. Oh and weighing once a week instead of every day is a good thing!)
    Good luck everyone :)

That is one of the most practical, sensible bits of advice I have seen on here in all the time I have been a member.
  • kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have never ever been happier than when I decided to only weigh bi-weekly or less... keeps the trend downward.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I like the sound of this!

Brilliant! I just averaged out each of the past five weeks as a test and there is an obvious downward trend.

I get a little fixated on the days that show a 2lb gain for no apparent reason. You're right....this method filters out the 'noise'.

Glad I read this thread. :flowerforyou:
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Great post, very motivating. Thank you.
    For those of you that like to see fluctuations and trends in your weigh, try Libra.
    I record daily my losses and gains and it shows you a trend. It's very interesting, I love it!
    I hope that's okay to say on here, it is a different website.
  • suzreen
    suzreen Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been weighing every day, but only recording the losses. Cheating? I don't know. Maybe, but it's a super bump when I reach a new low and get to record it, and a challenge to reverse a gain so I can record a new loss.

Maybe when I get closer to a maintenance weight I'll just record weekly to keep from gaining again.

I do that same thing! I only record the lowest weight i've ever been, and I weigh daily. Works well for me, and does help you to realize just how much fluctuation there is.
  • albayin
    Options

*blush* why thank you!
    I am crazy flexible - a combo of genetics and 18 years of yoga!
    sorry to hear you're weight isn't budging the way you want it to :/

no wonder~ but still amazing

I guess it's time for me to accept that I will die heavy but I can look better...