Eating healthy and still not losing weight

Options
I burn a lot of calories with my job and running around being busy every day. I get lots of rest and I have recently cut out my beer intake. I drink a lot of water and I eat very healthy but I dont seem to be losing any weight.
I dont know what else to do besides buying diet pills!

Help!

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food and your exercise? are you eating at a caloric deficit?

read this, its a good place to start
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • Steffanie723
    Steffanie723 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Avoid diet pills! They will not help you. You may need to cut out any sugary drinks and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Your body might also be getting used to your work schedule. You may need to start working out to start losing weight again. When your body plateaus, you need to change your regime. I know you can do it!!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy doesn't mean anything if you're eating too much of it.

You don't mention whether you're logging it or not, nor the method you're using to measure it.
  • rachelwaces
    Options
    I log everything and eat about 1200 calories a day because I have to!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's really going to help us if we have more information. Right now any advice we give you could either be something you're already doing or completely contrary to what your actual problem is.

You don't mention how long you've been at this? Weight loss isn't going to be linear. How long has it been since you last saw a drop on the scale?

Would you be comfortable opening your diary for us to take a look?

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by a whole lot when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is always going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Can you make your food diary public :) We can give you better ideas etc if you make it public so we can see what you are doing now :) We can all suggest stuff but unless we know what you are doing now it may not help :)
  • rachelwaces
    Options
    Are you logging your food and your exercise? are you eating at a caloric deficit?

read this, its a good place to start
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

Thanks for this! I will buy a scale for my food
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing out your food or are you estimating? It's amazing how skewed our perception of what a serving actually is on some things.

ETA ~ We posted at the same time :) Definitely invest in a scale. It can be a game changer!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What does about 1200 calories a day mean? Do you weigh everything and make sure you use the correct entries? Do you do cheat days? Are you tiny?
  • katnewk
    katnewk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    People tend to overestimated calories with exercise .... I use to run regularly and knew some overweight runners... you typically burn about 100 calories a mile.... you know how easy it is to consume 1000 calories .... not many people can run 10 miles a day.... MFP is awesome. Even though it's not exact... close enough... I actually do mine the night before planning everything I'm going to eat... then I know how many calories to plan for... I review at night and put in my ex... it really helps me to be proactive ....
  • Sharonmdenham
    Sharonmdenham Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Avoid diet pills! They will not help you. You may need to cut out any sugary drinks and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Your body might also be getting used to your work schedule. You may need to start working out to start losing weight again. When your body plateaus, you need to change your regime. I know you can do it!!

Just count everything you put into your mouth for a week, weighing and measuring everything. You will be surprised at how many calories you are truly injecting. Adding exercise will definitely help you but you have to know how much is going in to know how much exercise you need to do. Remember your body needs at least what MFP says is your goal to function properly. Don't yoyo diet, on and off, this is not for yoyo dieters its for a LIFESTYLE change. Say NO to diet pills they are bad for your body and eventually you will gain the weight you lose with them back, sometimes triple what you lost. Good luck!

P.S. you can drink beer just add exercise to work it off.
  • rachelwaces
    Options
    ok so I have made my diary public. I have been hit and miss at this 'getting healthy' plan. I think my routine doesnt help and I do want to quit the alcohol. I need to invest in a food scale and be more patient but your tips and advice is WELCOMED GREATLY!
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? A lot of people think they're eating one portion when it turns out they're actually eating three portions, so be careful.

Are you having a cheat day? 1200 calories per day won't do you any good if you have a binge day once a week and cancel out your weekly deficit. You need a diet that is sustainable. 80% healthy, 20% indulgent. Allow yourself to have treats but don't go crazy. It's okay to go over a little on holidays and special occasions. But it can't be too often or you'll eventually stop losing weight or start to gain some of it back.

Do you log your drinks? And measure how much you're drinking? Calories from drinks add up very quickly, which is why I drink only water on most days. Be careful because some things are labeled per serving and the container is 2.5 servings so you need to multiply what it says by 2.5.

Do you log all of your fruit and vegetables? Weight Watchers has this silly point system where fruits and veggies are zero points because they want to encourage people to eat more fruit and vegetables. Well, it turns out that these things do have calories which add up quickly (especially fruit). So people who used to do Weight Watchers need to be careful.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    If that's you in your profile pic then you're pretty small already, so weight loss will be slow.

Definitely be more accurate with measuring food.

Not sure how much exercise you do, but 1200 calories may not be enough.

Um, ok, just looked at your food diary. Way under 1200 calories most days, and generally filled with kit kats and pizza! Maybe go for healthier options...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your diary? You have a lot of days below 1200 calories, a lot of missing days, and your protein and fat look fairly low most days. You can lose weight by undereating for sure, but it seems like it's not doing you a lot of favors right now.

If you're cleaning and walking for 5 hours each every day, you might want to consider resetting your activity level to lightly or moderately active, because there's no way you're sedentary.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Err I don't think you do. I've just had a look and some days you log 500 calories so I'm guessing those aren't fully logged and your logging needs tightening up as not everything is weighed which it needs to be. Have a look at this and it will help you get your logging accurate once you do that you'll know how much you are really eating . Good Luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    ok so I have made my diary public. I have been hit and miss at this 'getting healthy' plan. I think my routine doesnt help and I do want to quit the alcohol. I need to invest in a food scale and be more patient but your tips and advice is WELCOMED GREATLY!

It seems like you tend to get a great start with breakfast, but later in the day your higher sodium and alcohol intake could be leading to some water retention. It's also worth checking your macros (protein, fat, and carbs) under the Food>Nutrition tab. It doesn't seem likely that you're getting enough protein.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    if your that active, 1200 isnt enough, aim more for 1500-1800
  • rachelwaces
    Options
    Thanks for everyones help!
  • MistyRose0424
    MistyRose0424 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump for great links :)