Eating and working late at night

Options
I get up every morning around 8 (I have kids so I wake up at this time) and I am in bed usually be 1230-1. I work 4pm-11pm 4 days of the week. I am having trouble not eating after a certain time because I honestly feel hungry. Yes somtimes I eat more snack foods and I am cutting that out, but what do I do since I am up so late and feel hungry and how do I not go over my calories? I am going back to eating 6 small meals so eating like every 3-4 hours. The problem is with my goal of loosing a half pound a week I am 1500 caloires per day.
I was thinking of just having a protein shake around 9pm those nights and hoping that holds me over until the morning. Any suggestions?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some people experience trouble sleeping or heartburn when they eat late at night. If you're not one of those people then it doesn't matter what time you eat your calories.

Additionally, I'll note that some people do really well on 6 small meals a day and others find themselves hungry and irritable when they spread their calories out like that. Meal timing won't affect your weight loss. It may affect your mood, energy levels, hunger, etc. You can schedule your calories however you want throughout the day.
  • preslyann50
    preslyann50 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have used eating smaller meals during the day and it has helped me with the bulk of my weight loss. I know you can techinally eat your calories whenever you want during the day but it's not a good idea to go a large portion of the day without eating.

SO since it has worked for me to eat smaller meals more freaquently and I'd like to stay at 1500 calories a day, I was asking what people who are in similar situations do so they aren't going 4-5 hours without eating when they honestly eel hungry :)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Eating times won't affect your weight loss. Protein shakes are very good. Protein powder is also great and could be added to a variety of food like eggs and ice-cream. There is nothing wrong with eating less during the day in order to save calories for a nightly snack. This is one of those things you will have to play around with until you find a way to be satisfied without going over your calories for the day or week.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ignore conventional mealtimes. Plan your food around your lifestyle - if you go to bed late, eat late. There's no rule you have to eat at the same time as your neighbours or coworkers - as long as your calories in over 24 hours are fewer than your calories out over the same period.