Eating healthy on a very tight budget.....

Options

Replies

• MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Also, portion control... The smaller (or more normal) the portion size is the more your saving.
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I know I've already posted several times but as I read other responses I really hope you do consider a food bank if you have one in your area my dad used to go there, you can score a good amount of canned beans and veggies to start you on the right path
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas :smile:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Organic dried beans at my local health food store are $1.99/lb from the "bulk" section. That's cheaper than most meat. Organic tofu at BJs is also about $1.99/lb. Both options are reasonably priced sources of protein.

Frozen veggies are cheaper than fresh usually...and keep longer.

Peanut butter is a cheap go-to for my kids. Instead of prepackaged snacks, my kids eat A LOT of bananas. I also don't buy snack-sized prepackaged things for my kids lunches. I buy a large container of yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. and I use reusable containers for these snacks.
  • Komodo26
    Komodo26 Posts: 55
    Options
    Do you have a everything 99cent store where you like...they have some great fresh.....really fresh sometimes for a buck....ansparagus, green beans, eggplant, sugar snap peas, green beans and more...also fruit as well

Also for a quick snack I cut up cucumber and Apple's and sprinkle some takin on it, my two kids and I love it so when I find them on sale I stock up
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I know I've already posted several times but as I read other responses I really hope you do consider a food bank if you have one in your area my dad used to go there, you can score a good amount of canned beans and veggies to start you on the right path

And remember to give to your local food bank! The one I volunteer at serves 20 counties, over 300 local food pantries, several local senior citizen pantries, and hundreds of weekend backpacks for kids who are food insecure at home.

Only 14% of the food this food pantry receives is government supplied and 86% is from donors (individuals, grocery stores, farms, etc.) We give away everything we get but that doesn't mean every basket is well balanced. We are limited by what we receive.

So GIVE to your local food bank! You never know if you may need it. Many of the folks we serve are hard working people who have suffered an illness, become disabled, or had a family tragedy that drove them to hunger. Many are employed in retail and restaurant situations where they sell food but are not paid a living wage that enables them to buy it. It could happen to any of us!! So GIVE!!
  • DCarter1701
    DCarter1701 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are just as healthy for you, even if you're not a fan of the texture. Also, there are cheaper veggies than green beans. Cabbage is super cheap (49 cents a head where I live) and I can make that into salads with brown rice and other veggies, add beans if you like, very healthy and cheap.

If you have an ALDI nearby, they are a good source of cheaper groceries and some have recently added organic products and gluten free products. Their produce can be hit or miss, but you can save on staples and then spend a little more for produce.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    See if you have any good ethnic grocers in the area - we have a large Chinese grocer here (and several down in the RTP area) that is stocked with lots of fresh vegetables for very low prices. Asian greens are very tasty and easy to prepare. A pack of Tofu there is $1, versus $4 at my usual grocer. It's also great for fish as well, which is still swimming up until the point you buy it.

Eggs are a great choice. Also, bags of beans in bulk are extremely cost effective and you can do a lot with beans, rice and a bit of meat for flavoring (and some spicy pickled relish really helps). I'd personally stay away from just throwing pasta and sauce on the table - it's easy and pretty tasty, but it's not very satiating whatsoever and makes it extremely easy to overeat. Legumes, rice, chicken, and lots of vegetables (fresh, frozen and sometimes canned) are the way to go.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider buying a crockpot. You can make a ton of food for cheap with it. I throw in dried brown rice and black beans and let it cook for awhile. Then, top it with some sour cream. For a veggie, you can put green bell pepper in it. With all the ingredients, it adds up to about 5 dollars total. You can get at least 5-6 meals out of it too!

Now, THE DOLLAR STORE. I live by the dollar store. You can get things like soymilk, beans, rice (all dried), sugar free applesauce, nuts, even pasta. People seem to think that all there is is junk but that isn't true. I'd check out Dollar Tree if you have one in your area.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on a student budget...invest in frozen veggies. They keep forever!!
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My Husband and I live on a tight budget and have been successful in losing weight thus far! Be sure to buy what you like but just eat smaller portions.

We go for the golden rules:

- Always make a Week-long Menu and add items to shopping list
    - Buy Value, reduced or (at a push) own-brand items from the supermarket
    - Don't spend over the budget
    - Don't go shopping hungry!

We also are sure to buy the following to keep costs low:

- Tinned Fruit, Beans, Vegetables and Soups
    - Wholewheat Bread
    - Pasta
    - Lettuce and Mushrooms
    - Eggs

We regularly eat simple to prepare meals at a low-cost. The majority of our meals are under £1.00 for 2 dishes. Below are samples of the meals we eat:

* Tacos with Wedges and Beans
    * Frittata with Beans or Salad
    * Chicken Breast, Wedges and Lettuce
    * Sausages and Mash with Carrots
    * Cheese and Tomato Pasta with Mushrooms
    * Spaghetti Bolognese
    * Steak, Jacket Potato and Lettuce
    * Pizza and Lettuce
    * Burgers, Wedges and Lettuce

I hope that this helps you!

Kaela x
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Sales! I only make about $1,200 a month income. So I only spend about $200-300 a month on groceries. I check the weekly ads you get in the mail/newspaper. I buy rolls of frozen Jeanie-O ground turkey at our Walmart for $2.58 a lb. I can't touch it anywhere else for less than $3-4 a lb. I'll buy bags of frozen chicken breast, a 5lb bag will last the whole month. I can usually find my whole wheat pasta and bags of frozen veggies for a $1 each. I buy a big box of sliced cheese that will last about 2 months. Walmart brand is about $11 for I think 96 slices? I keep shredded cheese on hand too. I'll buy several bags when it's on sale. I make my own sauces with tomato paste or cream of ___ soup. The paste is about $0.60 a can, I do 1 can water for pizza sauce (so its thicker), and 2 cans water for pasta sauce, then add my spices to get the flavor I need. The same with cream soup I do 1 can water/milk ratio and add my spices. I buy store brand spices for about $1-2 per spice, depending on what it is. For bread I go to outlet stores, we have a Sara Lee outlet and I can get my bread for $1.50 a loaf, and if you spend $10 there you get a free item. So its nice :-) I buy a box of powder milk and mix it up myself, but Aldi's has the cheapest milk where I live if you must have the real stuff.
  • tarak75103
    tarak75103 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Trying to feed 3 adults on 200 a month is hard. I do a of frozen veggies, eggs, chicken, salads, veggie soups, i use cabbage instead of rice etc to put the veggies on top of. oatmeal, wendys chili.... taco salad, chicken veggie soup, turkey instead of hambuger and you can get coupons from jennie off line every month for 1.00 off. hubby goes fishing so that helps too.
  • Athena1007
    Athena1007 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My husband and I used to live at poverty level, and I started couponing and thru helped a lot, but it only does so much. We focused on a lot of dried foods, beans, rice, pasta, etc. I also got creative with cooking - example: I figured it how to make Rice-a-Roni for $0.21, as opposed to paying $1 for a box. If you know how to cook, you can skip the processed meals and make a healthier version for less!

Aldi was also essential to getting by. Make good use of your freezer, frozen veggies like everyone else said. Also if you have a farmers market, go about an hour before they close and start haggling: the farmers are most likely going to reduce their prices so they don't have to take stuff home!
  • preferhealthys
    Options
    You can also find some healthy recipes here : http://www.preferhealthystyle.com. You can find different combination for budget plan and also healthy and delicious food.
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you've got a kroger around, always scope out the produce section for anything marked with a "Manager's Special" sticker. It's usually half off retail, and good for at least a couple of days in the fridge. Same goes with lean meats, except those can be frozen for 4-6 weeks, so stock up whenever you find a nice score!

Frozen veg, again, is very cheap. I buy the crap out of frozen broccoli florets. It's a mealtime staple 'round here.

Chicken is hella cheap, and very versatile. Go chicken, go.

Swap ground beef out, and bring ground turkey in. The frozen rolls of ground turkey are sooooooo much cheaper than beef. I always use it in chili, soups and tacos (sorry turkey, but you ain't for no burgers, mmhmm).
  • NOMORECARS
    NOMORECARS Posts: 156
    Options

Don't think of food as healthy and unhealthy. Just count calories.

WOW
  • NOMORECARS
    NOMORECARS Posts: 156
    Options

Don't think of food as healthy and unhealthy. Just count calories.

WOW, JUST THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT TO DO.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I know it has already been mentioned a few times but frozen vegetables are the way to go. I am actually only repeating it to give a tip on how to cook them so they aren't so yucky. My family has been much more welcoming to frozen veggies since I have been steaming them rather than boiling them. Don't buy the steam in a bag ones because there go your savings, just invest in a steamer basket which aren't too expensive.

Oh, also, roasted carrots are super good. Sometimes I cook them alone and sometimes with potatoes and onions.

You might want to see if someone you know has a membership to Costco's, Sam's or BJ's. Unless of course you can afford one yourself. I reluctantly bought a membership to Sam's a few months ago and it has been a huge asset to me. But be careful and know your unit prices for other stores because sometimes they are more expensive and it is just hard to tell because you are buying like 1,000 pounds of whatever so you think it must be less until you actually calculate it.

I keep a bowl of lettuce I have chopped up (already shredded is way more money) in the fridge and it is a easy side to anything. Just cut up part of a tomato and whoever wants to eat has a small salad on the side.

And there is nothing wrong with having something like pasta or rice with dinner most nights. Just don't make it the whole meal. I would also say that you could probably do a lot better as for as money goes than buying boxed sides. Or course, you might not have the time to cook from scratch too much so I am not judging but it really is a lot cheaper to make it yourself (and healthier too) than to buy it in a box where you just add water and boil.