Finding the man of your dreams online?

Options
47Jacqueline
47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
I just watched a TED talk about online dating. https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_webb_how_i_hacked_online_dating
It was funny and rang true. I'm actually wondering if I'm approaching it wrong rather than there not being anyone there. So, are any of you having luck in this approach?

I have tried Match.com and OurTime.com. I know there are guys out there that could be a match for me even as a relatively young senior, but I haven't had any results whatsoever.

Whether this thread is a success or a failure isn't important to me, I just want to talk to anyone who has been successful, and has something to offer that might help me succeed. I live in NYC so, I should not lack for candidates.

Replies

• janelleovunda
    janelleovunda Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online through Plenty of Fish. Yes I had plenty of fish I threw back in the sea before I met him but we have been married for four years now and I truly believe he is my soul mate. So I am a true believer that love can be found online.
  • vickee13
    vickee13 Posts: 31
    Options
    I've been with my boyfriend 9 years now and we met online, you just got to work through the rubbish to find the prize! Much like dating in the 'real world' really! :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • ProfessorOwl
    ProfessorOwl Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm right here, ladies. :tongue:
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I actually knew my husband IRL before finding him on a dating site. Being matched with him on okcupid.com got us talking, and later married. :) Keep looking.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I met my ex on a UK Wildcats fan site. We started out just talking basketball but it eventually grew to becoming friends and then a couple.

Just give it time. :smile:
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    One of my nieces keeps posting lists of things (on Facebook) of what the perfect man is. She just graduated college, is drop-dead gorgeous, and very single due to her impossible expectations.

Good guys are out there. They may not make 6-figure incomes, have wash-board abs or have a lake house, or meet "All 20 Must-Have Qualities of the Perfect Man," etc. Keep looking. :-)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    My wife did, so it's definitely possible.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to join a couple of more sites, maybe and also rewrite my profile.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I have two friends who met their now spouses on-line. Ha! I met my husband while standing in line at a grocery store. I was complaining about slow service. He should have know then to run but we've been married 25 years. :love:
  • Beautiful_disaster40
    Options
    I hear all kinds of horror stories about the people online but apparently people do find their match. I guess you just have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince. Just go in without expectations and have fun with it. Google some tips for what to say on your profile, my girlfriend did that and found a hilarious intro, it definitely catches attention. Oh and I've heard from guys to throw in body shots and not just head shots, they want to be informed what you like like. Kinda messed up but I've heard it on several occasions.
  • alisha999
    alisha999 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My friend met her fiancé on plenty of fish and quite a few people I know have had positive outcomes with that site :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online through Plenty of Fish. Yes I had plenty of fish I threw back in the sea before I met him but we have been married for four years now and I truly believe he is my soul mate. So I am a true believer that love can be found online.

Plenty Of Fish here as well. Been married 2 years now. All in all, it took 4 years of online dating off and on.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Why not just find someone on MFP? It's like hook-up central 'round these parts.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on OkCupid almost 6 years ago... We just celebrated our 3rd anniversary last month.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if people think that there is that dream soul mate out there?
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible, BUT it is extremely rare.
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have no luck in dating, online or whatever.....guess I'm just too different :-P Hence why I have a group called Spinsters Unite! :P
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on Yahoo Personals in 2005. We'll be married 7 years in August. So it is indeed possible!
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    I am not looking for a mate. BUT.....I recently joined a women's "get together" group in my area. About a week later I got an email from some man who saw I had just joined this group and read my profile and thought we could share our lives and be companions to each other?????? Mind you it was a 60+ women's group and this guy claimed to be 49. I opted out of the club, didn't answer the email and haven't looked back. The reason I mention it is maybe you should try joining a woman's group. I just googled "groups" in my area and at least 100 turned up. Had a wonderful 43 year marriage. Married my childhood sweetheart and soulmate. No one else could come close to what I had with him so.....no, I'm not looking. Good luck in your search, however.
  • TinyTeTe
    TinyTeTe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My wife did, so it's definitely possible.

:huh: