Feeling a little bit deflated

Options
I have had control issues with food for a while but I have been doing so much better in the last couple of months. I will see something I want and I will tell myself " okay if it's that serious you can get it tomorrow" and usually the next day I do not want it anymore or I will get some version of it that is better for me.

I am noticing a flaw in my technique, this only works with stuff I feel I can have at any time. The fact that I know that if I really wanted McDonalds I drive past it 5 thousand times a day makes it less urgent for me.

Yesterday I went to put together my friends nursery and she had marshmallows everywhere and juice and Starbucks ( these are items I never see, can never afford, or never allow myself to purchase). For some reason I felt like I would never see these items again. I didn't sit down and eat everything in one moment but I did pick at these things for the whole 6 hours I was over there and I did so WITHOUT logging first which is something I learned not to do anymore but I did it anyway. I knew I was going to go over and I knew I was going to go over a lot so I wont say I lost complete control but I still I went over by like 1560 ( that's a whole day).

I am trying to focus on the positives like I didn't eat everything. I was aware that I was overeating so its not like I just completely failed at life. I am trying to focus on the fact that the reason I felt like I would never see another marshmallow again is because I really have changed my diet quite a bit and stuff like that is disappearing more . I crave it less but when I see it... it's like rediscovering it.

I don't know... I don't even know if im making sense.... UGH I am just feeling.....slightly disappointed in myself....

Replies

• zodan1976
    zodan1976 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    HEY....we are human and we all make mistakes.....the best and most positive thing I see here is that you realized what you were doing and want to change. I too have an addiction to food. mine isn't so much sweets as it is good home cooked foods. (I'm southern and married to an Italian....LOL) I have a hard time with not going back for seconds....and thirds.
    If you want to be friends on here we can encourage each other.
  • brirandle1
    brirandle1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to know that the next day is a new day. I was delfated myself today when I weighed myself and I didnt lose any weight, didnt gain either which was good, but still a bit of a downer. I have been working with MFP for 6 weeks now and have lost 14lbs. I keep telling myself that this a lifestyle change and just stay the course. I have cheated at times during the time but then the next day I go back to my healthy routine by logging on to MFP. Like the previous poster said, we are all human, you are a success for trying to improve your health and not quitting.

Keep it up girl and would love to have you as a MFP so we could support one another :)
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I can very much relate, because during a diet I will tell myself that the fattening food item I want will be still in the store after I have completed the diet. I think it is excellent strategy! It won't necessarily work 100% of the time. 1560 calories isn't quite a 1/2-pound; what I would tell myself is to adjust my projected diet completion date by several days to allow for 1/2-pound.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters. Today is a new day. You've come a long way in your thinking and your relationship with food but its still an ongoing learning process. Knowing your binge triggers help. As does remembering afterward that food guilt is just another way of letting food control you so let it go. You're doing great.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You can't let one bad day throw you off track. As long as you have more good days than bad days, you're in good shape.
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Nt2Badhuh Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks ... I am trying not to get too discouraged because I have made a lot of progress... especially in my relationship to food. It was just...disheartening... because I really did know better but I was like " MARSHMALLOWS and STARBUCKS!!! remember those? Remember how awesome they were"

lol

this feeling will pass but jeez right now Im just staring at my diary like EPIC FAIL!
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Eating in moderation takes practice! You keep doing better and better as you go along. You didn't eat it all, and seriously even 1500 calories is at most going to stall you just a little bit. Just pick back up and keep going!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you acknowledged that you ate more and went over - try to log what you can so you at least have some numbers.

And while you're at it, log some calories burned for the six hours you spent unpacking, moving, putting together, cleaning, decorating, sorting, and putting away the nursery. Because much like you ate foods you wouldn't normally eat, you also were doing activity you don't normally do.

Don't feel deflated. It's one day. If you did this every day, it could become an issue, but you didn't gain weight having one bad day any more than you're going to lose all the weight by eating well one day. If think about it, it was a good experience. You were around foods you don't normally eat, you ate over your goal…and it's probably not going to have any real impact on your weight loss. If it was a lot, you may not lose this week. But in order to gain, you would have had to have eaten 3500 calories to gain a lb on top of the calorie deficit you've been running all week. If you're set to lose 1 lb per week, you would have had to have eaten 7000 calories yesterday above goal to gain. Doesn't sound like that happened. Don't beat yourself up, you're doing fine.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Thanks ... I am trying not to get too discouraged because I have made a lot of progress... especially in my relationship to food. It was just...disheartening... because I really did know better but I was like " MARSHMALLOWS and STARBUCKS!!! remember those? Remember how awesome they were"

lol

this feeling will pass but jeez right now Im just staring at my diary like EPIC FAIL!

Feel for you, I really do! But it is one day! Tomorrow is a new day! Without marshies and Starbucks! Just don't give up! As everyone has said, it takes time to learn, to moderate your intake a and lots of practice! We all trip up...just get back up!
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Nt2Badhuh Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. I logged it all.....1560 over lol but hey... I am still under my weekly goal but yeah I will just acknowledge yesterday as a .....slow day lol
  • Happyirisheyes
    Happyirisheyes Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    We all have bad days, it shows we are human ;-) On these days just enjoy the over eat and then start again the next day. Don't worry - you're doing great!
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'd look at it as it's not a day that I failed, but just a day that I put off getting to my goal. Some days the goal is more important, some days a treat is more important. At least marshmallows are fat free :wink: