How much weight before I see a change?

Options
As of today I've lost 30.6 lbs! Yay! I'm really happy about that, but how long will it take before me or other people start to notice a change? I started off at 300 lbs. I'm 5'11. I knew that I would have to lose at least 20 lbs before I could start to notice a difference and thought that definitely by 30 lbs I would see one. My pants do fit better, but I haven't went down any sizes. When I ask people if they notice a difference the honest ones tell me not really. I'm going to keep going. I know the change has to be seen soon, but I'm ready for it now. LOL. So, how much weight did you lose before you had to go down a size in pants and before you saw a difference in the mirror or before others saw a difference in you?

Replies

• caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It's taken me 30 pounds. I fit into size 18 now, I started at 20 (and 20 was a little tight). A bunch of people noticed at a wedding the other day. It made my week lol. I started back on here at 255 in January and am now 225. If you start at a higher weight it takes longer to notice a difference. Sometimes I don't notice a difference in myself, but others obviously see it. And I've lost like four inches on my hips, which is hard to believe. So the progress is there even if I don't notice it.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Took me around 20-25 lbs before i saw any significant change.
  • Keevy333
    Keevy333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great job so far! Congrats! I started at 230 and it took me about 30 pounds to see a difference. Noticed my clothes fitting looser first. Just keep going! You'll get there! It took awhile for the people around me to notice as well.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Twenty pounds to drop a size (from 248, 22 to 20), thirty to notice a difference when I took pictures
  • _L_A_
    _L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think it'll be very different for everyone. I can't remember when I started to notice a difference in the mirror, it didn't take long to notice my clothes were fitting better!

I took starting photos and then take occasional progress photos and to be honest I hadn't fully realised how far I'd come until I looked back at the photos side by side! So maybe it'd be a good idea to take photos if you aren't already?It's very hard for yourself and people who see you all the time to notice gradual change.

Also, something I have thought about in the past when I've lost say 10lbs and been frustrated that I can't see a difference, imagine a lump of butter to spread on your bread, it might look like a big chunk when it's as a lump, but once spread out over a layer of bread it is a very thin layer, it doesn't add much height to the bread does it? But it adds that whole lump of fat and associated calories to the bread! I lose weight (and gain it) very evenly across my body, so I imagine I'm skimming off a teeny amount off of my body surface area as I lose fat, which won't make a noticeable difference short-term but actually does remove a lot of fat, and a decent amount of weight and as I keep shedding of the small layers they'll add up into noticeable changes :D

Don't know if thinking of it like that will help, but it really helped me to think of that and to keep going even though I couldn't see the changes I wanted!

A 30lb loss is amazing :) even if you can't quite see it yet you've become healthier and you must be changing size at least a bit because your clothes fit better! So if you keep going you WILL see changes and so will others :) (although don't rely on other people noticing, some people just won't notice because it's not something they've given much thought to, others will be jealous at your success and will not pipe up or downplay your weight loss and many will feel to embarrassed/shy to actually bring up a sensitive subject like weight even if it is to pay you a compliment!). Well done on your amazing progress :D
  • DecemberPsalm
    DecemberPsalm Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, so thanks for making this thread! :)

In the past I have noticed a difference after just 10 lbs - looser fitting clothes, not perpetually bloated anymore (since in the first 10 lbs you get that big "water weight whoosh" and you start eating less of course so I don't feel full with food 99% of the time, haha.

For me, based on past experiences, the difference between weighing 250-something (where I'm at now) and 220's is a HUGE difference, and does include a smaller dress size (though I can't remember how many off the top of my head). So that goes along with what some of you are saying about the 30-lb mark.

Edit: Forgot to say congrats on losing 30lbs girly!!! That is amazing! :)
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    About 30 lbs for me. The hard truths for me were that i wore a lot of stretchy clothing at my biggest and even my jeans had some give to them. So it didn't affect my sizing as quickly. And 5-10 lbs on a skinny girl is noticeable but in my frame not at all. I lousy 60 lbs 2 years ago and it was halfway thru that i noticed changes. When u are small a few pounds can affect your clothing size but when u are bigger the sizing is more generous and can easily be 20 lbs before u go down a single size. Ugh. Seems like a lot of work and slow results sometimes. Hang in there and keep it up!
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 31 lbs.
    I think I felt a change, however slightly, at 15lbs in how my pants fit. At 23lbs someone that doesn't see me often commented that I look like I lost weight. At 25lbs I went to the next size down. However, that same size is tight in some styles.
    You have the right attitude, stay on track and that next size is soon to come.
    Keep in mind we each lose weight differently. If I were gauging shirt size then I haven't reduced my size. Past weight loss experience has taught me my upper body is generally last to go, unlike others that lose quickly. For me, it's the legs and hips presently.
    You are taller then I am and your height may have something to do with it also.
    Again congrats! You are on the road to lots of good things coming your way.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Height plays a huge role, as well as starting weight. I lost 12 pounds between August and April with no real intention to and it didn't make a huge difference. I've lost 11 since May 1st and I can see a ton of little differences. I'm 5'0 though, so there's a lot less space for the weight to be.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Do you have any before pictures?

I couldn't see a change in myself.... but the pictures show it.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" - I started out at 299 lbs - it took me about 40 lbs before I really started to see a difference - I actually had to see a before picture and then a picture at the time to see it in my face. People didn't really start noticing a difference until 50 lbs for me. Now they say all the time that they can't believe how much weight I have lost at 77lbs lost. I see it in my face, but still go to get 3XL clothing and realize I don't need that size and don't feel that an XL will fit me, and notice it's almost getting too big on me. I still feel like I need to get that size 24 jeans, but then have to go get the 16 jeans and swear they won't fit, but they do. My body image in my mind has not caught up with my weight loss yet, but maybe someday it will :)

Here is how I see my weight loss the most. By doing comparison photos - side by sides.

698a7e8a-c510-4fa4-a32a-3fe380bf7abc_zps09378ecc.jpg?t=1404077037

and

830391eb-50a4-41f2-b284-75c72eecf430_zpsbc0f5142.jpg?t=1404077008
  • stefsc1
    stefsc1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started at 350 pounds at 5'10'', and am now 40 pounds down and perhaps half of a pants size. I can see SLIGHT differences if I compare photos of when I began and now, but there really haven't been any big changes, appearance-wise. My fat is definitely less dense now, I am much squishier now than I ever was, but my clothes don't fit much differently and I don't look much different. It's a little disheartening, but I know if I just keep with it I'll see changes eventually.
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I had to add that I read your profile and it caught my attention about you wanting a Betsey Johnson dress. I am rural, blue jeans 99% of the time, but have to admit she has some really nice dresses. I even enjoyed the purses . . . and I only use a clutch purse for function, not style.
    I wanted to thank you for reminding me that I actually could consider "style" when I reach my goal. You deserve your Betsey Johnson dress.
  • randaroo13
    randaroo13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would say that at times you won't even notice a change with only weight loss. I haven't lost any weight yet but through running and eating better I have gone down a pants size. Just keep going on your journey. Maybe take measurements and progress photos if it's hard for you to notice a difference in yourself. Good luck!
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 258, I am now 228, down 30 lbs as of today and I have lost sizes and feel a bit smaller, I think when you get to 40lbs you will feel it FOR SURE, so just get through it, IT'S COMING!!
  • smallbore
    smallbore Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am the same hight and in the same weight range, in my past weight loss it took 40 pounds before people really notices (down to about 255). Really stunk when shorter friends could loose 15-20 pounds and the change would be so notable ... I feel what your talking about!
  • marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11", close enough :)

I was between sizes to start with and it took me about 28lbs to get down that half. During exams and deadlines I had high and low days and was happy to just maintain. Noone who saw me frequently could see any difference and friends I hadn't seen since my heaviest weight didn't seem to notice.

In the past month, I've started up running a 3mile meadow a few times a week. I've only lost another 4lbs, but now I'm comfortably down another whole dress size. It's only now that I can really see much of a difference- still not a huge difference in how I look, but clothes that didn't used to fit are getting pretty loose. I'm still holding out hope that other people will see the difference soon.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    It depends where you start off. If you start very heavy it can take a while before your change becomes obvious. For me it was at about the 40-50lb mark.

Now I am a source of gossip among the cashiers at the local tesco's lol they occasional stop me and ask have you lost weight again! Honestly it feels great cos im like score. It shows.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Took me about 30lbs to notice any difference or other people to say anything, i only could tell in pictures of myself at that point.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    About 30 lbs for me. The hard truths for me were that i wore a lot of stretchy clothing at my biggest and even my jeans had some give to them. So it didn't affect my sizing as quickly. And 5-10 lbs on a skinny girl is noticeable but in my frame not at all.

+1 and thank goodness! Otherwise I would need a new wardrobe. As it is now, I am going to have taking some things in, As chubbygirl253 said, when your clothes are stretchy (just about all of mine are), it takes longer for them not to fit any more. My pants did start to fall down - mercifully, we are not in pant weather now.

People started to notice around 30 pounds for me but at 40 pounds down, even I notice. I give a presentation to students and parents where there is a picture of me at probably my heaviest - to be honest, it keeps me motivated.

You are doing great - keep up the good work!