Too much water?

Options
2»

Replies

• TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    i have found this paragraph on a website seems it can be dangerous to drink too much water.

Dangers of Too Much Water
    Don't start drinking an extra gallon of water a day - that can kill you, especially if you are fasting or eating very little. Water taken in must be in balance with body salt - electrolytes. The body needs to maintain salt balance or risk hyponatremia with heart attack and even death. Drinking too much water dilutes the salt in your blood and tissues - and can kill you. Healthy athletes have died from drinking too much plain water and not replacing salt. Dieters should not plunge into drinking gallons of water a day in hopes of burning a few more calories. Drink an extra few glasses, yes. But a gallon is too much.

found it on this website.

http://walking.about.com/cs/howtoloseweight/a/water011204.htm

I'm in nursing school and this is most definately a fact.......I would say stick to the 8 (8 oz) glasses of water a day and if you want or feel you need more dont go over 12 glasses. If your getting that much on a regulare basis don't restrict your sodium since your flushing so much out in your urine and you should be safe.
    If you still see no lose of the scale I would see you doctor.
    Good luck!
  • LFullerTX
    Options
    I learned the hard way. You can indeed drink too much water.

Drinking 8-10 GLASSES of water a day, I had thrown off my electrolytes. Generally, wasn't feeling good so I went to the doctor. He was stumped until I mentioned how much water I had been drinking. Problem was I was drinking 16-20 cups of water a day. Now in my defense, it was summer and my office was hot. Even still, my doctor says it's the cups vs glasses that causes the problem :)

Two days of Gatorade every 4 hours and I was fine. No harm no foul.

My doctor's suggestion? 8-10 CUPS of water a day spread out through the day. That's your 64-80 oz a day. I drink way more than that in a day now, but I do have juice and milk in addition to the water.
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    try the link below it will take you to a quiz that helps you decide how much water to drink. I should be getting about 18 glasses of water and I uasually get an average of 12

There is such a thing as drinking too much water. which can result in drowning your organs but it is very hard to do and requires that you to drink a lot in a short time period.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

Loved the link but dang it said I should drink 124.5 ounces of water today, or 3.7 liters. I know I have been getting atleast 64oz. but not that much so drink up to me!
  • winningthin
    winningthin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I remember that incident (regarding the radio station water drinking contest and the woman who died from drinking too much of it -- it was really sad as she had children and was quite young). I am also awre of similar incidents that were broadcast across several news stations nationally. Based on these reports, I agree that drinking too much water in a short period of time can be extremely dangerous. I'm sure a doctor could support this information with greater detail and facts.
  • kate1398
    Options
    Below is from a nutritionist that has a program that I was and still am trying to follow:

Drink lots of water.

Another very important key to getting a flat belly is remembering to drink lots of water.

How much? Before each of your five mini-meals during the day, drink 12 ounces of pure, fresh water—that’s the same amount of fluid found in the average soft drink can. Then drink another 12 ounces of water with your meal. Because you should be eating five mini-meals each day, that’s a minimum of 10 glasses of water each and every day.

Many people think drinking water will make them look bloated. But I assure you the exact opposite is true. Most men and women are actually in a constant state of mild dehydration, so their bodies hoard water like a squirrel stores acorns for winter. If you begin drinking an increased amount of water (about 10 glasses) for a few days, your body will naturally release excess water weight and you’ll become less bloated and lighter.

Water helps flush out toxins that can be released when fat is burned for energy and is involved in our body’s metabolic functions. Another important thing to keep in mind is that water makes up 75 percent of muscle tissue. Not to mention that it plays a key role in burning stored fat as fuel. So you may not lose fat as easily if you aren’t properly hydrated. (Get my drift?)

Did you know that being dehydrated by as little as 1 or 2 percent of your body weight can impair both mental and physical functions? That includes burning body fat, by the way. (Fatigue and weakness can result from not drinking enough water as well.) I suggest carrying water with you while you work, play, and exercise—try to get in the habit of sipping it throughout the day.

The key is to drink water even when you’re not thirsty, because by the time your body clues you in, you’re already too low. So put away those diet soft drinks and sugar-filled fruit juices. Instead, replenish your body with lots of pure water
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I personally try to drink 12 a day, but I have found that if I go much over like closer to 15 for a few days in a row, my side kind of like where my kidneys are will start hurting, almost like a pinching feeling. So I try to stay closer to 12!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I think there is such a thing as too much water. Drinking 64 oz a day is the most anyone should drink i think. When i did that i lost weight .

64 oz is definitely NOT the max. Assuming someone has healthy kidneys, their body can filter out 800 to 1,000 milliliters, which is 27-34 oz per HOUR. As long as someone isn't drinking more than that on a regular basis, they should be fine.

20 cups (at 8oz/cup) is 160oz - spread out over 16 hours that someone is awake is only 10 oz. per hour. It may be more than we technically need, but it is not a dangerously high level. It's just important to spread it out and not guzzle all of that at once.

The weight gain is likely related to other factors, not the water.

I totallly think you are on the money here. When I was working as an aechaeologist....hiking through the woods all day in the south. I used to drink at leat 100 oz of water a day b/c it was hot and I was sweating. but I also drank 32oz of gatorade to replace the electrolites and a lunch with some salt in it.

Now that I have a desk job I drink 8-14 8oz cups of water depending on the amount of exercise I do.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If your going to look up articles on anything that is medical on the internet please look on sites the have .gov, .org etc like the Mayo Clinic any one can say anything just because they say their a Doctor or a trainer doesn't make it true. Do not trust Wikipedia any one can change the information