What's Wrong With My Mom's Car ?

Options
donyellemoniquex3
donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
2012 Hyndai Sonata Turbo 2.0 Pre Owned approx 41k miles upon purchase.

The turbo went out once already... But not like today. We live in a rural hill ridden area in the Appalachian Trail. Today we wanted to go to the local state park to go swimming and there's quite a few steep hills. Went up the first 2 hills fine, without turbo (it's being serviced tomorrow, turbo won't kick in, and it's stalling upon start up--- today the engine backfired and it smelled like a skunk bathing in rotten eggs) Well at the third hill it started bucking, shaking and the engine would "roller coaster" like uppp downn uppp downn (imagine the humpty dance song). Gas was fine, oil was fine etc.

Everyone I flagged down had no service on their cell. (that's our town for you, we complain we need a tower, but when one is proposed to go in, nobody wants it)

Replies

• Beautiful_disaster40
    Options
    No idea what's wrong with it but if it keeps having problems you may be able to sell it back to the dealer under the lemon law if you bought it from a dealer. At least in my state you can do that, I had a BMW that I did that with, worked like a charm. Sometimes new cars just are bad no matter how many times you get them fixed.
  • tristan299
    tristan299 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    It's broke
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    It's broke

^^This
  • Drama_Free_Zone
    Options
    Sounds like it's losing compression. Broken vacuum tube somewhere or you've managed to blow the valves out of a *relatively* new engine. :bigsmile:
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Blocked cat. Won't let turbo spool.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to any of these suggestions. The oscillating revving has nothing to do with the exhaust driven turbo impellers. Get it into the shop, and for God's sake, don't DRIVE it when you know it's got problems. Good luck, I hope it's a cheap fix.
  • LegendaryOrange
    LegendaryOrange Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    I know when my car is acting up the first resource I turn to is the 'chit chat, fun, and games' section of a fitness forum.

It's the timing belt. The cams need to be balanced in order to make sure the belt isn't grinding on the flux capacitor.
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This is hard to diagnose without knowing specifics . Rotten egg smell is typically catalytic converter.Loopy idle is usually a vacuum issue. Is there a check engine light? What was the problem with the turbo last time? When you say it wont kick in, do you mean it wont spool at all?If the oil is fine then you can rule out a blown seal on the turbo. My guess judging by the information i have available is, low grade fuel, running rich, getting dumped into the exhaust, ruining the catalytic converter, causing back pressure, making the wastegate remain open.
  • LegendaryOrange
    LegendaryOrange Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    When you use the turbo how often do you accelerate beyond 88 miles per hour?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    starvation mode
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    CAR UPDATE: Needs a new fuel pump. Pressure was supposed to be 3,000... It registered at 70. Ordered, under warranty and should be here tomorow-ish.
    When you use the turbo how often do you accelerate beyond 88 miles per hour?
    It just kicks in when you accelerate to a certain point. IE up hills, on the highway, passing someone, merging etc.
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    starvation mode
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mopar_lover
    mopar_lover Posts: 198
    Options
    It's Korean.
  • TheNewPriceIsLoading
    TheNewPriceIsLoading Posts: 2,135 Member
    Options
    With a vehicle that relies on a turbo to produce power, if the turbo is out, it is in restricted power mode. Can't produce as much power, and therefor will chug like a train.