Stronglifts 5x5

Options
Morning All,

I am going to be starting the Stronglifts 5x5 programme soon. Just wondering what results people have had on the programme.
If you have pictures you can post that would be great motivation.

Thansk :)

Replies

• ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am interested in tracking this - I have been following the 5x5 stuff with emails from Medhi. So also keen to hear about successes.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman so no big mucle gain. :wink: I've lost 1.5 clothing size, lots of cellulite, totaly reshaped my body. Can squat my weight and deadlift 150% of weight after 2 months. What results do you aspire to see?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I do SL as well and have for nine months.

What results are you wishing to see. My weight loss was about my calorie intake.

SL has given me strength of course. I squat my BW +35lbs, DL over 200lb, Bench 125, OHP 90lb and Row 125.

What weight lifting does while at a deficit is help maintain muscle mass (as long as you are getting in adequate protien) if you are eating at maitenance you don't lose weight just weight lifting. It is the deficit that does that.

SL is about building strength and exercise...yes it can add to your calorie deficit but that is not that is not the primary reason for doing it.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for 6 months. My body shape has changed. I hadn't been tracking my overall body weight much until recently as I was looking better/slimmer but recently gone back on a calorie deficit as I really need to shrink as well as get strong.

Make sure you start with the empty bar and progress at the rate it says. I've lifted in the past and am currently dead lifting what I could before I started. The difference being this time I'm at 120kg I feel I could go on much longer. Before I got to 120kg and I was already at my max. By progressing slowly and steadily but all the time you build strength properly and more balanced. Diving in at a higher rate may result in a quicker platau.

My current strong lifts stats are

97.5kg squats
    120kg deadlifts
    67.5kg bench press
    37.5kg overhead press
    67.5kg barbell row

Each one of these exercises are still progressing. I haven't had to deload once yet. I stalled on a couple of the lifts as I wanted to ensure I was getting the right technique.

Also one thing extra to note, make sure you warm each exercise up gradually. It isn't needed as much as lower weights but as it starts getting heavier you soon realize which muscles are tight etc. I also incorporate a 2 minute row to loosen up my leg muscles before I squat. This is the only thing I do slightly differently to what Mehdi says as I tried warming up just by doing the movements with no weights but still felt my hams and hip flexors were a little tight. I do only 2 minutes though and very steady.

I also noticed when I struggled with some of the lifts that I was trying to rush through. It wasn't until I started using the stronglifts app on my iphone that I realised I wasn't resting enough in between.

My wife is also doing it. Her body shape has changed too.
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Stronglifts for about 6 weeks and I am not noticing much improvement in my strength. I have added weight as it says (2.5kg) each time, although I have struggled with the overhead press and have had to go back to virtually the start again. In my other activities I haven't noticed any improvement. I do yoga as well and in all the strength moves I am still struggling to hold them as much as I was before. Doing standing poses still hurt my legs and I can't hold them for any greater length of time. I am surprised and disappointed - I thought I would notice an increase in strength.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Stronglifts for about 6 weeks and I am not noticing much improvement in my strength. I have added weight as it says (2.5kg) each time, although I have struggled with the overhead press and have had to go back to virtually the start again. In my other activities I haven't noticed any improvement. I do yoga as well and in all the strength moves I am still struggling to hold them as much as I was before. Doing standing poses still hurt my legs and I can't hold them for any greater length of time. I am surprised and disappointed - I thought I would notice an increase in strength.

Are you finding the lifts difficult? are you using proper form? what weight did you start at? where are you now?
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I started with the weights that were suggested.....empty bar for squats, bench press and overhead press (so 20kg), 30kg for the barbell row and 40kg for the deadlift.

My latest weights are 57.5kg for squats, 22.5kg for overhead press (I went up to 25kg but couldn't get 5x5 on 25kg for 3 sessions in a row so I went back down today), 75kg on deadlift, 30kg on bench press and I tried 40kg on barbell row for the first time this week, but only got 3x4 and 2x3 reps.

I find some lifts more difficult than others, but I feel like I'm using proper form. I try to pay particular attention to my form so I get the most benefit.
  • dpwdash
    dpwdash Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am also starting Stronglifts today. I am very excited and a little scared/ nervous.
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting week 8 today and so far have loved it. As others have said, I've lost weight while doing this but that is because I'm eating at a calorie deficit and following up with 10-15 min interval sprints on the mill depending on how much time I have.

I didn't start with the bar on all of them because of how much I was lifting beforehand but the initial weight was signifigantly lower that what I was doing already. Ultimately didn't feel the need to start lower that what I did. If you have never really done compound stuff like this, take his suggestion, leave your ego at the door and start with the bar so you don't hurt yourself.

Here is what I started at:

Squat: 135 lbs
    BP: 95 lbs
    OH: 45 lbs (Bar)
    BR: 95 lbs
    Deadlift: 135

Here is what I am at 8 weeks later:

Squat: 245 lbs (This is starting to get a little rough but I think I can get over 300 before stalling.)
    BP: 150 lbs ( These are somewhat difficult, I might be able to get close to my BW before I stall)
    OH: 105 lbs ( I hate this excerice, I've stalled twice now, once at 100 and last week at 105)
    BR: 150 lbs (I'm going to stall on this soon. Also I do actual barbell rows, what Medhi shows is Pendlay Rows with the weight on the ground)
    Deadlift: 255 lbs (These are pretty heavy but I feel like I will keep progressing on these for a while until I stall for the first time. Surprised my grip has been staying strong. Still using double overhand with no chalk)
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this week, interested to hear that most women are going up by 2.5kg not 1kg like Mehdi mentions his girlfriend did. My gym doesn't have 1kg increments to 2.5 it is!
  • bmannen1
    bmannen1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am going into my 5th week. I have lost 3 lbs and around 8.5 inches from the few measurement I took (1 forearm, .5 neck, 2 waist, 2 hips, 1 calves).

Starting Stats
    Squat 45lbs
    Bench Press 45lbs
    Barbell Row 40lbs
    Overhead Press 45lbs
    Deadlift 60lbs

Current Stats
    Squat 85lbs (increased 40lbs)
    Bench Press 65lbs (increased 20 lbs)
    Barbell Row 60lbs (increased 20 lbs)
    Overhead Press 55lbs (increased 10 lbs)
    Deadlift 90lbs (increased 30 lbs)

I would probably be further along but a few weeks I didn't make it to the gym for the 3 days. I am starting to see more definition in my arms (through the flab) and every time I increase my lifts I am insanely proud of myself. I love this program and am so happy I finally decided to do it. I am excited to continue seeing progress in the next couple weeks. If I can get a bit more will power on the food end of thing I will start to notice the differences then I think.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    SL 5X5 WORKS-

Its simple...Just get your butt to the gym. Learn proper form its only 5, it makes it so easy to learn.

Good luck
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this week, interested to hear that most women are going up by 2.5kg not 1kg like Mehdi mentions his girlfriend did. My gym doesn't have 1kg increments to 2.5 it is!

Same here! I just finished my 3rd week and had to stay at the same weight for standing presses this week because 5lbs was too much! Booooo!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    So far the program has greatly improved my squats. Prior to starting this program, I struggled to get below parallel, but because this program started me out at about 40% of my 1RM, I've really concentrated on my form and getting low and today I actually got so low that I hit the rack a few times! Woooohooooo!
  • myfrogs11
    myfrogs11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've been doing SL about 3-4 weeks. Not a lot of gains, using dumbells so that 5lb increase each is a little much. But with calories deficit and come cardio, my belt notch has gone down by one. Great NSV! Especially since I've only lost a few scale lbs!