high protein + high fat

Options
My doctor recently suggested a high protein, high fat diet. She explained that the fat metabolizes the sugar (I am diabetic). She says under 100 preferably under 50 carbs. Today is only my second day. I did great today and I am way under my carb count HOWEVER I am going high on calorie counts. My question for anyone and everyone.....if i am counting protein and fat are calories that important??

On a personal note the migraines are killing me, stopping/changing anything cold turkey triggers migraines for me, but I would rather fight a migraine for 2-3 days then drag it out for weeks by slowly changing things.

Replies

• WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    Sounds like Adkins.
  • Justin_SD
    Justin_SD Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’d say they are less important. How much you going over, on average? I am trying to eat macros of 20% carbs (about 120g), 30% protein and 50% fat. I target 2400 calories but I don’t fret if I go over; but eating that much fat and protein, I find myself rarely going over. Typically I only go over on a day when I decide for a nice steak and potatoes dinner and then it’s just a few hundred calories and my carbs are usually pretty close. Overall, I end up under my target for the week by a thousand or two calories.

As for the headaches, I had them for about a week. I attributed mine to drinking far too many sodas (caffeine) before starting.
  • susanbbw1976
    Options
    it is very much like the adkins diet. according to adkins website calories dont matter but the average person following that plan consumes about 1800....anyone else have any experience?? :ohwell:
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    that is exactly the food plan my doctor gave me ... high protein, high fat and low carb. I too suffer from migraines. But I take meds daily for them and take Imitrex when I get one or feel one coming on, so that takes care of them. I eat around 70 grams of protein each day and try to stay around 50 grams of carbs, but definitely under 100. friend me if you'd like and you can take a look @ my food diary.

Edit : oh and I noticed no change in the migraines when I started the diet either. but everybody is different.
  • startheory
    startheory Posts: 63
    Options
    I'm on the high fat high protein diet too. I personally love it since I'm always full. But yes, calories are still high for me too. When I was calorie counting it was 1600 a day. I range between that and 1700 a day doing this plan.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Calories still matter. Be careful with nuts like cashews - they're both very caloric and relatively high in carbs when consumed in excess.