Raw food diet is dangerous! frustrated!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I don't think you can completely blame a raw food diet and call it dangerous when that wasn't the only factor in your situation.

"I think it is because I did the raw food diet AND stuck to only 1200 calories a day AND did cardio and/or strength training everyday without factoring in the calories lost from that."
    This. You have very little to lose. You ate a wildly UNbalanced diet (not enough calories, no fat, very little protein). Bad things happened. Now you can fix it.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    A raw food diet is not dangerous. A 1200 calorie diet plus overexercising is dangerous tho. But there is nothing inherently dangerous about raw food, especially if you plan your meals- which is recommended for any diet ("diet" as the biological term to describe a food plan, not a weight loss plan necessarily) to ensure a balance of nutrients. If you did a vegan diet, additional care is needed, but it is not dangerous. A bit of research goes a long way.

I eat 2500-3000 calories on my fully raw food days depending on if I work out. On my 75% raw (Rt4) I eat around 2300. I meet my micro-nutrients only because of the amount of calories I consume and planning. Failing to plan, is planning to fail. I don't think you planned well.

It appears as though you crash dieted and over exercised. Bummer. That's really unhealthy, I don't know why you thought that was a good idea. Fix it by not crash dieting and stop expecting overnight results. Good luck, honestly, I hope things get better for you.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    It is more likely the low calories and lots of exercise stopped your cycle as opposed to the raw diet.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    It is more likely the low calories and lots of exercise stopped your cycle as opposed to the raw diet.
    I'm pretty sure the low calories are directly related to the raw diet. So your statement really doesn't make sense.

In other words, the fact that the food was raw was not the problem. Any diet with extremely low net calories and extremely low dietary fat and protein could have caused the same symptoms.
  • mommyrunning
    I'm pretty sure the low calories are directly related to the raw diet. So your statement really doesn't make sense.

What I am saying is the actual foods probably weren't the problem but the low calorie intake and exercise probably were
  • mommyrunning

In other words, the fact that the food was raw was not the problem. Any diet with extremely low net calories and extremely low dietary fat and protein could have caused the same symptoms.

Thank you
  • bumpkinz
    bumpkinz Posts: 7 Member
    Smoothie every morning with chia seeds, avocados included regularly, lots of fruit and yes nuts pack the calories in big time!
  • bumpkinz
    bumpkinz Posts: 7 Member
    I just overworked myself. I think I am going to take a break from losing and just focus on eating whenever I am hungry but I will still eat a ton of fruits and veggies (raw and cooked) but include healthy oils and quinoa and rice. We will see how that goes...
  • mommyrunning

What I am saying is the actual foods probably weren't the problem but the low calorie intake and exercise probably were
    The fat intake is the problem. Fat.

Fat may be the problem. But excessive exercise or suddenly exercising a lot more than before can also disrupt menstrual cycles. Women are complicated :blushing: and many things can mess up our cycle.
  • balanceandnirvana
    balanceandnirvana Posts: 51 Member
    That is flipping crazy! You cannot blame that on the raw food diet lol. You can only blame yourself. Sounds like somebody didn't do the proper research before starting an extreme change. You're supposed to aim for at least 2500 calories when eating only raw foods or else ya you're going to be starving yourself especially with that much exercise. I live off of mostly raw foods and average on 2000-3000 or more calories, It made me lose weight at first but now i maintain since I've been doing less exercise. You really need to eat A LOT
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    What a nightmare this last diet has been. There is a reason I never do these things. I have lost 10 lbs but now I am no longer getting my time of the month. I think it is because I did the raw food diet AND stuck to only 1200 calories a day AND did cardio and/or strength training everyday without factoring in the calories lost from that. My body will not lose anymore weight this way and it thinks I am starving. This week I started eating more and will continue to do so...

Just wanted to rant and warn people about the dangers of the raw food diet. I was very stupid thinking I could go on 1200 calories. DO NOT make my mistake. I am only mid twenties I am afraid my reproductive future may be compromised. :(

Lack of fat will make your monthly cycles go away
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Do not eat raw food except for raw fruits and vegetables.

I eat raw beef liver quite often. Best source of iron and its yummy. Grass fed and finished of course from a local farm source.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    I don't know how you could even call your diet a RAW diet looking back on your diary you didn't eat anything really . A raw diet would be a VARIETY of vegetables and fruit nut and seeds things like beans broccile califlower cabbage spinach spring mixed salad carrots cucumbers kale radishes celery avocados almond butter or almonds pumpkin seeds flaxseeds coconut oil raw nut cheeses I could go on forever Eating Raw wasn't your problem eating nothing is your problem .
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Just want to say that it is true, you need to eat as much as possible on the raw food diet to lose weight. I'm talking lie fat high carb raw vegan. You eat unlimited amounts of fruits and veggies and the weight falls off...atleast 2000-2500 calories. I lost a bunch of weight in a month, and I felt really good, but then I started missing chicken... And now I just can't decide if a total vegan diet is what it best....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I don't know how you could even call your diet a RAW diet looking back on your diary you didn't eat anything really . A raw diet would be a VARIETY of vegetables and fruit nut and seeds things like beans broccile califlower cabbage spinach spring mixed salad carrots cucumbers kale radishes celery avocados almond butter or almonds pumpkin seeds flaxseeds coconut oil raw nut cheeses I could go on forever Eating Raw wasn't your problem eating nothing is your problem .
    I just looked at it as well. No wonder she's feeling badly.
  • There's a really good article about veganism that you might want to read:

http://vedgedout.com/2014/07/08/under-the-banner-of-veganism-deprivation-diets-eating-disorders-and-orthorexia/
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Why on earth are you eating 1200 calories on a raw food diet. I eat mostly raw and I know people who eat full raw and none of them are eating 1200 calories. I ate 1200 calories and felt like ****. I ate 1200 on high raw and felt like ****.
    Looking at your diary (assuming the days you did log were full days) you are low on ALL of your nutrients. You cannot function like that.
    You need to educate yourself before venturing into a lifestyle.
  • lyndsayfletch
    lyndsayfletch Posts: 26 Member
    I don't think you can completely blame a raw food diet and call it dangerous when that wasn't the only factor in your situation.

"I think it is because I did the raw food diet AND stuck to only 1200 calories a day AND did cardio and/or strength training everyday without factoring in the calories lost from that."