How often should I run?

Options
I wanted to run Mon-Fri, but the HIIT schedules that I liked at have it 3x a week.
It's it better to run everyday or every other day.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's not good to run every day- your muscles need some recovery time, especially if you're just starting out. 3-4 times a week is a good plan.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I was told the same as what Melaniecheeks said - I only do my running on tuesday, thursday, and one fo the days on the weekend.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I wanted to run Mon-Fri, but the HIIT schedules that I liked at have it 3x a week.

If you're only doing high intensity intervals then even three times per week is a bit much.

If you were doing a more balanced programme then I'd say that four times a week might be reasonable, allowing for a rest day between sessions.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Every day or even two days in a row can be too much if you're just starting out. I know when I started running I loved it so much that I over did it and had a LOT of muscle soreness until I got used to it. Now I try to break it up more, it is much easier on my body especially for long distances. I would go like 3x a week and spread it out.
  • xNausicaa
    xNausicaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks you guys! I'll just stick to the schedule
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've been running for six months and the only time that I ran two days in a row it was HELL. Don't do it ;)
  • DinaStewart
    Options
    According to my experience daily running is better than alternate. Try to run daily at least 30 mins. It will keep you healthy and fit and you will also feel fresh.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    According to my experience daily running is better than alternate. Try to run daily at least 30 mins. It will keep you healthy and fit and you will also feel fresh.

Notwithstanding the general advice against running daily, the originator is talking about high intensity interval sessions... Trying to do that every day is a route to rapid injury and potential overtraining.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It's it better to run everyday or every other day.
    Mix HIIT in with other distance runs.

If you are just starting to run then I suggest every other day. I personally like to run 5-6days a week so there of course has to be back to back days in there.

If you are wanting to run more than start at 3 days a week and once that feels comfortable do 2 days of running back to back, then one day off. Repeat.

I personally do 3 on, 1 off in my running. One day is distance. One day is HIIT, and the other is "just a run" and if my body feels good, I go further, if not, I go shorter.