Intervals without Apps

Options
Hello all,
Starting in late April, I began walking/jogging. I usually just walk and pick a couple of points in my eyesight to jog/run (from light post to light post, this mail box to the street corner, etc) and it feels pretty awesome. I am not timing myself or anything during these and it feels pretty great.

But is this an efficient way to get better?

I feel that I have slowly extended the distances that I jog and challenge myself without exacerbating my asthma or IBS.

What do you guys think about using apps in interval training? Does anyone use them or do you like being in command of what distances/time you run or jog?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I prefer going at my own pace. IMHO, certain programs aren't set up very realistically anyway - you go along at a nice slow increase then bam, 2/3rds in and all of a sudden you go from running 5 minutes at a time to 10 minutes at a time or more. And when people can't handle those big jumps, they feel like failures. It's just silly. Your body will thank you for doing nice gradual increases.

Plus, some improvement is better than none! Keep up the good work!
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I prefer going at my own pace. IMHO, certain programs aren't set up very realistically anyway - you go along at a nice slow increase then bam, 2/3rds in and all of a sudden you go from running 5 minutes at a time to 10 minutes at a time or more. And when people can't handle those big jumps, they feel like failures. It's just silly. Your body will thank you for doing nice gradual increases.

Plus, some improvement is better than none! Keep up the good work!

^This. I started C25K a while ago, and ended up quitting it. I felt like it wasn't actually preparing me for any running increase. Just because I can run for 90 seconds, doesn't mean that I can run for 3 minutes, and that's the kind of jumps it was expecting. Right now, there's a loop near my house, about a mile and a half, that I run a few times per week. The goal is to run just a little farther today than last time. It gives me a steady standard of measurment every single time- I know I ran from the corner to that mailbox last time, so today I'll pass that mailbox and go to the big tree. When I can run the whole thing, I'll double it and call it my 5k training.
  • mellose2win
    mellose2win Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Question and answers. I am moving from walking to jogging and with the couch to 5k app I feel discouraged that next week I will have to maintain a higher level I need to go at my own pace too so I think I will! keeping in mind that distance and or time needs to be increased when my bodies ready. My shins are Killing me however!!!!!