Under recommended calories, but not hungry for more?

Options
baby_bokchoy
baby_bokchoy Posts: 61 Member
Hello! Hopefully I'm not just shouting into the void here. So I'll be completing my second week tomorrow, at which point I'll step on the scale again, but last week I lost 5 pounds. We'll see about this week! But I was just wondering if it is bad that I'm eating less than my recommended intake of 1270 calories (I usually end up eating just over 1000) each day? I don't feel like I'm hungry all the time, or anything, I feel like I'm eating a good amount, but I also don't want to put my body in "starvation mode". Anyone have any advice?

Replies

• ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth.

Eating 200 fewer calories daily is an additional 0.4 pounds burned in one week (assuming 1270 granted you a 500 deficit). That isn't extreme; it's fine. Listen to your body and don't be scared to eat more should you want, but that is sustainable.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Eating 200 fewer calories daily is an additional 0.4 pounds burned in one week (assuming 1270 granted you a 500 deficit). That isn't extreme; it's fine. Listen to your body and don't be scared to eat more should you want, but that is sustainable.

yep that pesky starvation mode again.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    When I first started here I was frustrated and hungry and not losing weight at around 1600 cal per day.
    Now that I've adjusted to eating a lot healthier and have added more less-calorie-dense foods into my diet, I also have been finding myself stuffed and happy at around 1100-1300 calories some days, which I have found surprising. My new goal is set to 1350 and I've been losing weight consistently (though still slowly). I think you're probably fine as long as you get close to 1200 and you hit your recommended macros/nutrients etc.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Perfectly stated!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, it don't eat up to or down to a number. On days I'm more hungry, I eat more. When less hungry, I eat less. If I crave extra carbs before that time of the month, Hello, lasagna. If I want more turkey and fewer veggies, great. If I want no meat and mostly fruit, yay that.

I don't know most of the acronyms people use and I don't do math. That's me.

If sticking to a number works for you, great! It isn't necessary to lose weight, though. :)
  • Twixi1983
    Twixi1983 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the same portions and calories, working out the same amount but I yoyo 3-4 pounds every day?! Any ideas anyone?
  • ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been eating the same portions and calories, working out the same amount but I yoyo 3-4 pounds every day?! Any ideas anyone?

Weight fluctuates. Check it in the morning after a week.

If it's still as you've described, you're underestimating how much you're eating and/or overestimating how much you're burned. No other explanation. Make sure you've updated your goal section for accuracy of the target numbers to which you're trying to adhere.
  • baby_bokchoy
    baby_bokchoy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! This was my first time posting in MPF after lurking for a week, and you were all very helpful! :))
  • Twixi1983
    Twixi1983 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ortho!