Eating healthy on a budget

Options
I'm trying to find meals that I can eat weekly that wont cost a fortune.
I have dropped 80 lbs before but I ate the same foods basically day in and day out
Mornings scrambled eggs with onions. skim milk. wheat English muffins with natural peanut butter
lunch would be tuna or salad
dinner would be Chicken with brown rice
I would snack on nuts/granola bar and managed to drop 80 lbs during wrestling/football season and have gained it back. I'm really wanting to drop the weight and more. advice on meals would be great.

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you like within your calorie allotment and lose weight. Healthy is in the context of your whole diet. You can still enjoy yourself and lose weight.

In terms of finding deals. Farmer's markets are my new favorite go to. Fruits, veggies , etc that are in season are often on sale. I'm really only buying my non food items now at places like Walmart, etc.

Try to focus on nutrient density, not so much whether its good or bad. It'll give you better variety and sustainability long term, so you don't get in a rut and risk relapsing on bad habits. Make new ones that include things you enjoy. Moderation ;)
  • nwjames1310
    Options
    Thanks I appreciate it. So basically just eat a decent breakfast lunch and dinner. Don't eat fast food. no sweets or sodas. Healthy snacks. I was thinking about doing that for a month to drop a few easy pounds and slowly start adding in healthier breakfast then lunch and dinner.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Walmart if you're on a budget. If you don't mind the sketchy origins for their produce and meats (their meats look pretty decent, surprisingly), it will save you a lot of money.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Fast food and sweets are okay here or there. Just have to stay within your calorie limit a for weight loss. Balance your macro/micronutrients for overall health. I eat ice cream every day. I did during weight loss, too. I'd be so miserable if I didn't treat myself a little. Have you read this? It's a great read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • balanceandnirvana
    balanceandnirvana Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    try to find a store with cheap prices for the items you need. I eat a diet based mainly off of fruits and veggies and i found some mexican supermarkets near me that sell them super cheap so i can spend maybe $50 a week at the most on the produce i need. if i spend more it's either because I get enough fruit to last me for several weeks and freeze some or It's because I indulge on the more expensive varieties. Besides produce though they do have cheap eggs and meat. i don't buy many household things like paper towels/plates because i can just use hand towels and proper dishes and i don't buy lotions, shampoos, or conditioners because it's easy to make your own and it really cuts down grocery bills. You can find ways to make all kinds of household cleaning solutions as well. There are asian supermarkets in other places that sell really cheap food too.
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Aldi's if you have one near you.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    My pressure cooker and crockpot help me save time and money. We eat lots of beans. You just soak over night and pressure cook them the next day. Many cheap veggies, like carrots, yellow squash, celery , radish, hominy, great beans etc. taste great when cooked on low for 6 hours with meat. The only thing I don't put in the crockpot is chicken breast. They over cook too easily. Chicken thighs and pork necks are fabulous and very budget friendly
  • preferhealthys
    Options
    You can also find some healthy recipes here : http://www.preferhealthystyle.com. FInd the recipes that suits you at the recipe sections.
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to watch how much you're spending at the grocery store, perhaps try couponing? Most grocery stores have apps that will sync coupons automatically to your preferred shopper's card. It takes just a few minutes to sift through the coupons, and can even be done over a commercial break for instance if you watch a television show.

I found that I was able to save anywhere from $10-15 dollars per grocery trip. If you have an iPhone the following apps are really easy to use: Coupons.com, SavingStar, and Ibotta (offers rebates for commonly purchased items).