Venting !!

Options
So, I had these lamb patties in the freezer for a couple of months. Each patty 230 cals. So I made this delicious herbed lentil & steamed kale dish and planned to put the patty on top.

so I was recording the calories...and saw the sodium.

O.o WHAT?!?!?! 860 MG in ONE patty???

I've been pounding the green tea ever since, just so I don't blow up like a balloon. I will *NOT* be purchasing those again.

Anyway they turned out to be from New Zealand. I'd rather not have that carbon footprint on my meal.

Replies

• porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Most processed/pre-packaged meats are unfortunately loaded with sodium.
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    I get soooooooooooooooooo mad at how much sodium they put in to mask the food. It seems to me the more sodium, the worse the meat must be? I read in Men's Health about why the fast food's and preprocessed places use so much sodium.....it ruined my week. :sad:
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Too funny...I've been there! I was very excited to try these pizza pizza egg mugs from the Hungry Girl website once. They were delicious, only 134 calories each serving, so I ate two servings. Turned out to have 796 mg sodium in EACH serving! I felt sick! I don't use any Hungry Girl recipes any more. I really should have checked first before I gobbled the food down. Oh well, live and learn.

Have a great day!!
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I get soooooooooooooooooo mad at how much sodium they put in to mask the food. It seems to me the more sodium, the worse the meat must be? I read in Men's Health about why the fast food's and preprocessed places use so much sodium.....it ruined my week. :sad:
    Basically it's all about boosting the flavor to meet the consumers' desires, despite the health risks and zapping of nutritional content. In all honesty, you get what you pay for these days. An inexpensive meal is made with the cheapest ingredients available, loaded with chemicals to mask the cheap flavor that comes with them. God help us if we continue this way forever.
  • blumuse
    blumuse Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Frozen food is always loaded with sodium as a preservative (and most lamb comes from New Zealand, unfortunately). I learned my lesson the hard way too - I wont buy frozen chicken breasts anymore. Fresh is the ONLY way to go. I'll cook up tons of it and freeze it myself for use later. That way I know there's no extra salt in it.
  • minervasp73
    Options
    Yep, I definitely won't be buying these again - it's easier to make my own and freeze them like everything else, but one thing is they were NOT cheap!

Got them at Whole Foods in the frozen section, I guess I needed to look a little harder at the packaging.
  • Janfit
    Janfit Posts: 7
    Options
    Congrats JG job well done ... keep up the good work
  • cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    yup. I love simply steam frozen veggies, namely the brussel sprouts and the garden vegetable medley. They are super fast and I eat them over brown rice with maybe a little cheese for protien.

I started recording my sodium last week. After I went grocery shopping and bought like 20 of them.

There's 860mgs in the brussel sprouts. :sick: Mind you I don't eat the sauce at all, just a light coating on the brussels sprouts so I assume I probably get 1/2 to 3/4 of that sodium but eeew. I've cut back to one pack a day at the most, and then when they're done I will be switching to a different brand.

And here I thought they were good for me...:mad:
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Frozen food is always loaded with sodium as a preservative (and most lamb comes from New Zealand, unfortunately). I learned my lesson the hard way too - I wont buy frozen chicken breasts anymore. Fresh is the ONLY way to go. I'll cook up tons of it and freeze it myself for use later. That way I know there's no extra salt in it.
    Just make sure you're buying fresh chicken breasts without any added chicken broth/liquids injected into them (a lot of chicken breasts are to make them look plumper!).
  • minervasp73
    Options
    CeeLoveJay: How do you tell if they've been injected or not? I've never heard of that but it certainly doesn't surprise me!

Thanks all for your comments - it's good to know I'm not the only one!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i am soooo obsessed with sodium now- that is the second thing i look at now every time i look at the nutrition label.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    CeeLoveJay: How do you tell if they've been injected or not? I've never heard of that but it certainly doesn't surprise me!

Check the package label--the only ingredient should be chicken--if broth is losted etc its been injected.
  • minervasp73
    Options

Check the package label--the only ingredient should be chicken--if broth is losted etc its been injected.

Thank you!!