Healthy Winter Recipes Ideas? :)

Options
Nerdphiliac
Nerdphiliac Posts: 136 Member
Hello MFP, :smile:

Whilst I am sure that many of you are enjoying sunny summer weather on your side of the world, I am currently trying to tolerate a frosty Australian winter... without putting on an extra layer of fat. :tongue:

One of my biggest dilemmas is trying to create healthy, low-calorie and moreover, flavoursome winter meals. I'm getting a little tired of eating either porridge, soup or steamed vegetables for dinner each night, haha.

If possible, would anyone be able to suggest some delicious, vegetarian winter dishes?
I'd really appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Winter squash is wonderful You can use any variety -- acorn, butternut, . . .

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-stuffed-winter-squash/

Original recipe makes 6 servings
    3 acorn squash, halved and seeded
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1 pound sweet Italian sausage
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Place squash halves cut side down in baking pans.
    Fill pans with about 1/2 inch water.
    Bake squash 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until tender.
    While squash bakes, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
    Place onions and celery in the skillet, and cook until tender.
    Stir in the sausage and thyme.
    Cook and stir until evenly brown.
    Remove squash from the oven, and carefully scrape the pulp from the rinds.
    Set rinds aside.
    Place the pulp in a bowl, and mash with a potato masher.
    Mix in the cooked sausage mixture, egg, bread crumbs, raisins, and pecans.
    Scoop into the reserved rinds.
    Set stuffed squash in the baking dishes.
    Bake 25 minutes in the 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven, until heated through.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    There's a wide variety of soups and stews, add rice sometimes. :)
  • Nuttynutnuts
    Nuttynutnuts Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi! :) I'm a vegan from New Zealand, I totally understand wanting to eat everything in sight while it's so cold.

I have been eating porridge like nobody's business this winter. I use different toppings to keep it interesting. My favourite at the moment is porridge mixed with half a cup of mashed pumpkin, a couple of dates, some sweetener, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. It's like a dessert for breakfast. Yum. I also like adding frozen berries (pretty cheap in the wintertime), bananas, slivered almonds, pecans, or chia seeds.

This page also has lots of ideas:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/samimain/overnight-oats-recipes-to-restore-your-faith-in-breakfast

I find curry is pretty warming - the spicier the better! This chickpea spinach curry is my go to curry recipe. Eat it over brown rice to make it extra filling.
    http://www.plantoeat.com/blog/2012/02/chickpea-and-spinach-curry/

And you can't go wrong with soups! There are so many different flavours out there and soups are so low calorie. Add some canned beans or lentils and they're very filling.

I also love to drink a lot of tea at this time of year. It's zero calorie and gives me something to warm my hands. Fruit teas and peppermint tea are great.
  • Nerdphiliac
    Options
    Hi! :) I'm a vegan from New Zealand, I totally understand wanting to eat everything in sight while it's so cold.

I have been eating porridge like nobody's business this winter. I use different toppings to keep it interesting. My favourite at the moment is porridge mixed with half a cup of mashed pumpkin, a couple of dates, some sweetener, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. It's like a dessert for breakfast. Yum. I also like adding frozen berries (pretty cheap in the wintertime), bananas, slivered almonds, pecans, or chia seeds.

This page also has lots of ideas:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/samimain/overnight-oats-recipes-to-restore-your-faith-in-breakfast

I find curry is pretty warming - the spicier the better! This chickpea spinach curry is my go to curry recipe. Eat it over brown rice to make it extra filling.
    http://www.plantoeat.com/blog/2012/02/chickpea-and-spinach-curry/

And you can't go wrong with soups! There are so many different flavours out there and soups are so low calorie. Add some canned beans or lentils and they're very filling.

I also love to drink a lot of tea at this time of year. It's zero calorie and gives me something to warm my hands. Fruit teas and peppermint tea are great.

What awesome ideas, thank you!
    Mmmmmmmmmmm... That curry recipe looked divine- I think I might make this Wednesday. :heart:

I absolutely love Winter becuase it gives me the excuse to eat porridge all the time, haha! That variation on traditional porridge sounds delicious, yummm! I can't wait to give these recipes a crack- thank you so much! x
  • Nerdphiliac
    Options
    Winter squash is wonderful You can use any variety -- acorn, butternut, . . .

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-stuffed-winter-squash/

Original recipe makes 6 servings
    3 acorn squash, halved and seeded
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1 pound sweet Italian sausage
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Place squash halves cut side down in baking pans.
    Fill pans with about 1/2 inch water.
    Bake squash 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until tender.
    While squash bakes, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
    Place onions and celery in the skillet, and cook until tender.
    Stir in the sausage and thyme.
    Cook and stir until evenly brown.
    Remove squash from the oven, and carefully scrape the pulp from the rinds.
    Set rinds aside.
    Place the pulp in a bowl, and mash with a potato masher.
    Mix in the cooked sausage mixture, egg, bread crumbs, raisins, and pecans.
    Scoop into the reserved rinds.
    Set stuffed squash in the baking dishes.
    Bake 25 minutes in the 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven, until heated through.

MMMMmmmm!! That sounds delicious!
    I might have to substitute the sausage for some beans or veggie mince becuase I'm vegetarian... But nonetheless, it sounds super yummy!

Thank you! :smile: :heart:
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    This is always a favorite....best to you

Ingredients Edit and Save

Original recipe makes 6 servingsChange Servings
    1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
    1 (11.5 ounce) can tomato-vegetable juice cocktail
    1 cup water
    1 large potato, diced
    2 carrots, sliced
    2 stalks celery, diced
    1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1 cup chopped fresh green beans
    1 cup fresh corn kernels
    salt and pepper to taste
    Creole or any spicy seasoning or pepper flakes
    Check All Add to Shopping List
    Directions

In a large stock pot, combine broth, tomato juice, water, potatoes, carrots, celery, undrained chopped tomatoes, green beans, and corn. Season with salt, pepper and Creole seasoning. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
  • Nerdphiliac
    Options
    Bump. :smile:
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Posole-346329

i eat it all year round but it is really good in winter.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jackiemonx
    jackiemonx Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    vegie/chicken risotto not too unhealthy either if u go easy on the parmasan! whatever veg u got, half cooked chicken, risotto rice, few herbs n spices n cover with stock..stick in oven for 45 min or until stock absorbed, check rice is done, if not add more stock, cook til absorbed n put a bit parmasan on to serve! simples!
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Chicken chili or chili made with lean ground turkey. Add lots of veggies. Sooo good.