22 and slowly dying

Options

Replies

• JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    For what its worth bud i know how you feel. I was absolutely disgusted with myself after ballooning up all the way to 380 at my highest. It seems like a dark tunnel with no light at the end but in truth its there, just far away. Im not going to sugar coat it or lie to you and say that it will be an easy journey and there will not be bumps on the road, but i will say that its absolutely possible. Im around 24 pounds to my goal now after losing 131 pounds in a few years and to be honest nothing can stop me. I used to try the fad diets and say nothing works, i cant do it...but in the end i realized it was just me not truly being accountable for my actions. The first few weeks up to a month you will be hungry restricting your calories even if you eat 100% healthy foods and your full amount of calories, but it does go away. You will feel like crap and not want to do anything because your body is used to getting tons of calories and it wont be anymore but it will get better and you will feel better. You have to remember though that this will all go away, it will all get better, you just have to have strength on your end to get through the trying times and the resolve to conquer the obstacles set out before you. If you were in football you know hard work reaps benefits, and you will feel great doing this on your own.

That being said if you feel the only option is something along the lines of a lap band then begin consulting a doctor and find out the best course of action. All the best to you!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Its tough to lose a lot of weight, I'm not going to say it isn't. For people like you and me, food can give us comfort and fill a void in our lives. Losing weight is not simply a physical thing either, you have to stop having a self defeating attitude also. I dont say this to be mean, but because it is the truth. Once I stopped beating myself up for every mistake I made in trying to lose weight, it got so much easier. I would try to lose weight, fall off the wagon for a meal or a day, and say to myself, "I cant do this" and just give up. This time around, I shrugged it off, and kept going forward.
    It can seem so completly overwhelming when you have a ton of weight to lose. You just have to take it a day at a time, sometimes hour by and and even minute by minute. It does get easier though.
    Some will advise you to eat low carb, or low fat, etc. etc. Eat at a calorie deficit, in a way that is sustainable for you for the long haul. I hope this helps.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    OP, read this thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1103164-3-yrs-312lbs-lost-1yr-from-bodylift-and-maintenance

That's Ed. Ed is amazing. He lost over 300lbs and is a tremendous inspiration.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you look into behavioral psychology principles. These are taught by drug rehab programs, weight watchers, etc. and includes ideas such as reorganizing your environment for success, using substitution, gaining social support, increasing motivation by making a list of reasons you want to succeed, etc.

Ways this would work in your case would be things like buying measuring cups and a food scale, not having unhealthy trigger foods in your environment, changing food choices such as using things like baked zucchini fries or sweet potato fries instead of regular deep fried French fries, enlisting support from family and friends and professionals, and thinking about what would motivate you to change toward a healthier lifestyle.

Then take it one step, one day, one success at a time!
  • touslesmemes
    Options
    I feel like my only options are gastric bypass, lapband or end it all.....

Your life is not over. You should not "end it all". You require medical attention, a doctor and a social support system. You can do it. Maybe start a weightloss blog, if you want an online support net. There are those who can relate, you are not alone.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hello myfitnesspal community. I'm a 22 year old male and I can slowly feel myself dying. I have always been overweight but not to this severity. when I was 16 as a freshman in high school I weighed about 250lbs. I played football so I was pretty active for the year. Sophomore year I jumped upto 280lbs and I had stopped playing football. At the end of my sophomore year I had started taking a ADHD medication that had a appetite suppressant as a side effect within 1 month I had dropped down to 233lbs. Ever since then I had only gone up in weight reaching a high of 360lbs for over a year... in the last 6 months I've gone up to 400 lbs. I don't want to live like this anymore. I've tried every fad diet and some of my sister's training but nothing has ever worked for me. I would say my daily calorie intake is between 4000-7000. I know that is way above my means but I can't help it. If something is there to eat I will eat it. I feel disgusted with myself. I want to be fit and healthy for the first time in my life. Can anyone help me.
    The only person that can help you is you. We can give you advice and support but the action has to come form you. You've written a post so it means that you realise something has to change. There are some great links people have posted and also as others have suggested a visit to discuss this with your doctor could be a great next step.

So you've made one step by admitting and realising you need to do something so now for the next step. Good luck
  • knittingayle
    knittingayle Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Some great advice here. Each day, each moment is a choice. Some choices are easier than others. I'm working on making better choices about what I put into my body, and how much exercise/effort I make with my body. I'm choosing to deal with my emotions up front rather than comforting myself with food and buying new things.

We each have our own choices to make. Sometimes there are extenuating factors, but we can make informed choices. You don't have to make drastic changes to see changes in your body. Use MFP to log everything you eat. Everything. Seriously. I thought I didn't eat that much until I started using MFP. It's made a huge difference. When traveling or eating out, I take a photo of my meal and log it later. Am I perfect? No. I have 140 lbs to go and it's going to take a long time to get it off and keep it off. Choose to join us in this journey called life.

About gastric bypass: for some, yes, it's been a miracle. The sleeve procedure, the lapband, etc. has also worked miracles for some. However, I also know folks who lost lots of weight (100+ lbs) and then gained it all back and more. Seems impossible, yes? One friend who was successful told me that he went through a boot camp of sorts before and for 6-8 weeks after the procedure. He had to deal with his emotional baggage, and also learn how to work with his new stomach and new body. For many of us, eating and not exercising is largely emotional -- and if we don't address those issues, then we're not going to have long-term success with weight loss, no matter the method.

Please folks, feel free to disagree. And OP, we want you to succeed. We're all slowly dying, but I've decided to kick it hard while I'm here and breathing! :)

And yes, do see a medical professional!!
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have definitely come to the right place. This is a very caring and supportive board! I'm just starting back up myself and am no expert whatsoever, but may I suggest that you begin each meal with 2-3 large glasses of water? It fills you up quicker and helps flush your system. Eat smaller portions, and more frequently to keep your blood sugar levels from bottoming out. It's better to eat 6 smaller meals than 3 huge ones. Use a smaller plate, too, so you can't fill it as full. Eat plenty of raw vegetables at snack time....They are so low in calories, you can eat as much as you want. Don't eat in front of the TV...we have a tendency to graze more when engrossed in a program. It's better to make yourself sit at the dining room table. Get moving, even if it's only on the couch at first. You can do plenty of leg and arm lifts from a seated position and incorporate dumbbells into your routine. If you don't have a pool, try the local YMCA, or Wellness Center. Swimming is wonderful, and gets the whole body involved. I'm hoping that you don't resort to surgery. I have seen several people go through all of the discomfort, only to put it all back on over time. Oh, I almost forgot...use your food and exercise diaries faithfully. There's something about seeing what you put into your mouth in print that makes you want to do better. If you'd like to add me to your support team, feel free. I need all the help I can get, too! :)
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Hello myfitnesspal community. I'm a 22 year old male and I can slowly feel myself dying. I have always been overweight but not to this severity. when I was 16 as a freshman in high school I weighed about 250lbs. I played football so I was pretty active for the year. Sophomore year I jumped upto 280lbs and I had stopped playing football. At the end of my sophomore year I had started taking a ADHD medication that had a appetite suppressant as a side effect within 1 month I had dropped down to 233lbs. Ever since then I had only gone up in weight reaching a high of 360lbs for over a year... in the last 6 months I've gone up to 400 lbs. I don't want to live like this anymore. I've tried every fad diet and some of my sister's training but nothing has ever worked for me. I would say my daily calorie intake is between 4000-7000. I know that is way above my means but I can't help it. If something is there to eat I will eat it. I feel disgusted with myself. I want to be fit and healthy for the first time in my life. Can anyone help me.

The only person that can help you is you. We can give you advice and support but the action has to come form you. You've written a post so it means that you realise something has to change. There are some great links people have posted and also as others have suggested a visit to discuss this with your doctor could be a great next step.

So you've made one step by admitting and realising you need to do something so now for the next step. Good luck

This - the ball is in your court. I'm only going to add that you should definitely do it NOW. Please do not wait for years and years trying every fad that comes along. You'll end up way down the road with nothing to show except more depression and frustration. Read the links posted earlier in your thread and educate yourself on how to make your body the awesome machine it can be. Work hard, eat right (and enough) and enjoy the benefits of health - while you're still young.
  • soteniliene
    soteniliene Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Double post, sorry!
  • soteniliene
    soteniliene Posts: 2 Member
    Options

A lapband would likely cause more problems for you than it would solve. The only thing that a lapband would do is to lower the size of your stomach, it wouldn't take away that "need to eat it" feeling. In the end, quite a few patients who get them end up stretching their stomachs out even more because of it.

I would definitely reach out to a doctor. Visit your local mental health clinic and see what they have to say. There are a lot of resources that they have that you may not be able to find on your own, and usually at low cost!

Don't give up :)
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You have done yourself a favor by posting your feelings here. Don't hide them from anyone. This site will give you a community to help you through your struggle and as good as it is you may need professional help. Seek medical help. They can direct you to groups that you can join for support. Don't hide. That will not help you.
    My son played football in high school and college. He tore his ACL and is in a struggle now with his weight. He is over three bills as they call it. An ex OL. Portion control is so important as is the choice of what you eat. I see his struggle every day.
    I have heard about a group called TOPS. Taking off pounds sensibly. See if there is one near you. I think it's either free or low cost.
    Please please stay on this site. Add me as a friend. I will send a request. This is a good place for you to find help support and motivation.
    -an ex football Mom.
  • Lila204
    Lila204 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you feel tempted towards something sweet try to have water or another low calorie drink instead. I found sparkling water works besst! Also if you log your calories here it will really help you. Hoep you can find the motivation to stick to a diet.xx:smile:
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are having a tough time lovely. If you are an emotional eater (i am) the best thing i've found is only stock the cupboard and fridge with healthy foods, that way if you want to snack it's healthy and not unhealthy. And if you do want unhealthy food you have to get up and go get it. I'd go and speak to your GP about counselling and if there is anything they can do to help. The main problem you might find is that you might be too heavy for surgery which means you would need to lose weight to be eligible for a gastric band etc so they should be able to help you.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Your life is not over. You should not "end it all". You require medical attention, a doctor and a social support system. You can do it. Maybe start a weightloss blog, if you want an online support net. There are those who can relate, you are not alone.

Exactly. You're not slowly dying. This is still reversible. Have a good read around here, you will be amazed at the amount of people who started off like you.
    Don't wallow in it, seek help and build up a strong support network here on MFP.
  • hoosiermom88
    Options
    Take a picture of yourself and put it on the fridge, then take an old picture of yourself or find a picture of what you want to look like as a motivational reminder. Now, I've done this and it kind of works, but I also put a new background on my phone (one of those before and after kinds). It is a picture I found on google of someone who looked like I do now and now looks like I want to. For me that helps more than the one on the fridge bc I am always near my phone. I also cook my food 2-3 days ahead of time so I don't have any excuses when I am in a hurry or just don't feel like cooking, etc. Another thing I like is literally having a schedule to workout and eat. I'm not much for working out at home by myself-I give myself too many excuses, but I have found that if I schedule it like a doctor's appointment I do much better. Make sure you do it for atleast three days in a row, no matter how much you really don't want to, then you will be surprised at how much easier it becomes. It takes 3 days to make a habit, but 3 months to break one. Try to make a new good habit. Hope this helps, feel free to message me if you want.
  • jasonsdragon
    jasonsdragon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My first suggestion is to see a physician who specializes in obesity or endicrinology. For someone so young you need to see what is causing this. The older you get the more difficult it is to take care of. Surgery is an option but also a MEDICALLY SUPERVISED" weight loss plan is in order. A good way to estimate your Basal Caloric Needs is to take your current weight and depending on your activity. Multiply your weight by 12 for sedentary, by 30 for moderately active and by 40 for VERY active. this will be the calories you will need daily to MAINTAIN your current weight. Most often a nutritionist or registered dietician will work out a calorie goal of 500 to 600 calories per day deficiet to loose weight.
    Good Luck and keep us posted on your plans and goals:happy: :happy:
    Anita
  • Jztime
    Jztime Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you are saying. I honestly feel if I can do it ANYONE can. I have been where you are and there is hope. A little will power and maybe some therapy and you will be well on your way.

There are some therapy services that are in the US that are partially funded. Use the internet to have a look when I get home later I will see what I can dig out for you.

In the meantime try and at least work on your snacking and maybe making other small changes like no added sugar drinks?

Baby steps...
  • ashleyskeepfit
    Options
    I'm doing juiceplus and it's really nutritious and makes you burn fat quickly! Low cholesterol and 26 fruit and veg so you can't go wrong really.....

if anyone's interested add me on facebook

facebook.com/ashleyskeepfit
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

This - the ball is in your court. I'm only going to add that you should definitely do it NOW. Please do not wait for years and years trying every fad that comes along. You'll end up way down the road with nothing to show except more depression and frustration. Read the links posted earlier in your thread and educate yourself on how to make your body the awesome machine it can be. Work hard, eat right (and enough) and enjoy the benefits of health - while you're still young.

^ All of this. I'll add that there are a handful of members here who have lost 150+ pounds. I'd seek them out. You can be healthy and you are capable of making the change. It's a matter of actually doing it. That's up to you.