Smart ones, lean cuisine.... A good idea?

Options
13»

Replies

• greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I think these are fine in emergency situations, but overall, I find them to be absolutely disgusting. My stomach hurts afterwards, I feel bloated and gross, and I'm hungry not too long after.

It takes about 30-40 minutes in the oven for a chicken thigh to roast. You just leave it in there. Make yourself a salad, and suddenly, in 40 minutes, you have a fresh meal PLUS leftovers! I know it seems like a long time, but that's 30-40 minutes that you can still be doing other things. Someone else mentioned the crock pot. That's a great way to get the main protein for tons of meals, especially if you're only cooking for one.

I agree, that sometimes life gets hectic and you need something quick. However, my body definitely let me know that it didn't appreciate the generic, processed junk. Fresh is ALWAYS better.
  • Samiamy2k
    Samiamy2k Posts: 50
    Options
    This is war. I see it as two main battles, the first being the actual process of getting to a healthy weight, the second being maintaining that. Once you've gotten to a healthy weight range it's a lot easier to experiment, and you can be a little more flexible and forgiving of minor excesses. I don't like processed meals for any number of reasons which include all those above, but as well I don't like the corporate nature of the offering and allowing trans-national corporate scum my dollars. THAT BEING SAID: I used them for the following reasons:
    1. They're low fat, portioned controlled no-brain meals. I don't have to think about it, I know that I"m under 300 calories. That allows me five meals a day in a 1500 calorie diet.
    2. They're essentially the same program as both Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig offer. They're popular because they work.
    3. I'm not particularly sodium sensitive, but I do augment the meals to the extent time permits. I just try to add fresh proteins and veggies, rarely carbs (except sandwich thins, english muffins and fresh tortillas- can't give up EVERYTHING) I don't use salt at all in my cooking, so it tends to balance out the processed sodium coming into my diet.
    4. I only plan on using them during the actual weight loss part of my battle. Once I achieve a tenable weight range, I'll be far more comfortable preparing meals that might have leftovers, or might be a little higher in calories than I can afford now. Right now the last thing I need is temptation or room for error.

Point being, they're cheap, they're convenient, and if you're not at risk for hypertension or other sodium sensitive health issues, they're basically passably healthy- at least far healthier than our former diets. Ergo they have a high chance of providing success. Logic. Reason. Human nature. We have to include all of these in our calculations when we try to change habits. I say as long as you don't resort to meth or other drugs to loose weight and you do it in a relatively controlled, safe manner the weight is more danger than the drawbacks of the processed meals.
  • AMSull19
    AMSull19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    On a rare occasion I will eat these. A lot of time when I'm in a pinch, I resort to a low sodium soup instead or my favorite is to bring packaged salad and chicken to store in the fridge at work so I have a quick healthy lunch for a few days.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    you need to learn how to cook smart and snack smart. Using those are just being lazy. For instance, when you cook a chicken breat cook 5 instead of onw so you have a quick chicken sandwich or chicken salald to eat.

I don't think that is lazy, she might have a very busy schedule or may not know how to cook. I cook my meals before hand as well but for people who schedules are a bit busier it could be diffucult. OP i think it is best for you to try and cook your own meals but if you are in a rush for time, lean cuisines should be no problem,

I'm somewhere in between these views. I think packaged meals are great in food emergencies, particularly if you have dietary restrictions. But somewhere down the line, learning to cook is the best thing. I have a busy schedule too, so I make lunches and snacks for myself the night before, usually when I'm making dinner. That way, I'm in the kitchen once, but cleaning up etc. for multiple meals.

www.theleangreenbean.com has a weekly post devoted to how people prep healthy food for themselves for the week ahead. Even someone on shift work could get some ideas on how to take control of what and how they eat by prepping on their time schedule.
  • histomom
    histomom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I always have a couple of Lean Cuisines or Smart Ones in the freezer for a emergency. Most of the time I try to bring left overs from dinner. But with a husband and two tweens in the house that is not always possible.
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I used them in the past to lose 60 pounds....I would eat them every day for dinner and either a slim fast shake or lean pocket for lunch.That being said, I'm not doing that this time around.I do have them on ocassion but I'm now eating more real food that I can see myself eating for the rest of my life.They are convienent when you have no other choice, so I keep a few in the freezer.I've lost 20 pounds so far and this time I don't feel so deprived.
  • whosurdaddy107
    whosurdaddy107 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They are extremely healthy! compared with all the crap out there. If you eat one cheeseburger, its nearly 760 calories and more sodium. I've been starting this diet with cereal, LC and slim fast...and no fast food. lost 9 lbs in 3 weeks. all it matters is calories. there's no such things as good or bad fat. keep it simple you will lose weight!
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    They're okay, and pretty dang tasty, but every time I told myself "I'm gonna GET HEALTHY!" and fell back on freezer-meals, I always, always failed. If you have more guts than I do, and can stick with it despite the convenience-factor (seriously, I think the convenience made it too easy for me to fall off the wagon), then I don't see much problem in 'em. Still, I'd recommend exploring healthy homecooked options along the way, so you can truly transition into a new lifestyle that is hardfast, so your dietary/fitness changes will be easier to maintain.
  • Karababy51
    Karababy51 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I will occasionally have one of the lower calorie Lean Cuisines when I'm short on calories for the day. Some of them are quite tasty and despite the high sodium content, have a decent amount of protein. A few of my favorites are the Glazed Chicken, the Roasted Chicken & Garden Vegetables and the Grilled Chicken Primavera! :)