What exercises are best for my weight?

Options
Ok so I am wondering what exercises are best for my weight, I weigh 21st (300lbs) I am 26, I have an underactive Thyroid and depression, I also have a bad back, Facet joint lower back which hurts like hell when I walk but I am trying to get healthy and I have lost 11lbs so far. Also with my health issues I cannot work and I hardly go out so it would be exercises to do at home etc. Any advice would be lovely. Thanks.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Can you bike (stationary bike)?
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm working my way to being able to walk without back pain, so I'm doing a lot of my exercise at home, too. Here's what I do:

At home:
    - I got one of these for leg and arm exercising. It looks like it couldn't do much, but it's great! (There are all sorts of other brands too)
    http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Restorator-Bike-Arms-Legs/dp/B000GT2JVI/ref=sr_1_17?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1404066040&sr=1-17&keywords=stationary+bike
    - I use exercise bands to do some rowing type exercises in my chair.
    - I put on music and dance! It's lame to look at, but nobody's looking, so who cares. At first, I couldn't get through a whole song, but it's getting better, day by day.

Away from home
    - I do short walks, getting longer
    - I go to Curves ( they have a back machine that is perfect for me)

Hope this gives you some ideas.
  • lulabelle2687
    Options
    Can you bike (stationary bike)?

No, I don't have one but I am trying to get one. I was thinking some squats, would that be alright exercise?
  • lulabelle2687
    Options
    I'm working my way to being able to walk without back pain, so I'm doing a lot of my exercise at home, too. Here's what I do:

At home:
    - I got one of these for leg and arm exercising. It looks like it couldn't do much, but it's great! (There are all sorts of other brands too)
    http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Restorator-Bike-Arms-Legs/dp/B000GT2JVI/ref=sr_1_17?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1404066040&sr=1-17&keywords=stationary+bike
    - I use exercise bands to do some rowing type exercises in my chair.
    - I put on music and dance! It's lame to look at, but nobody's looking, so who cares. At first, I couldn't get through a whole song, but it's getting better, day by day.

Away from home
    - I do short walks, getting longer
    - I go to Curves ( they have a back machine that is perfect for me)

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Hi, thanks for replying, I will check that out. I have also used my bottom step as like an aerobic step lol sounds silly really but its quite useful for me.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I started off with stationary bike and walks too. I wasn't severely overweight but I had no resistence. You could also try some low impact workout videos on youtube :)
  • lulabelle2687
    Options
    Thanks,

I was also wondering though, would Squats come under strength training or Cardio I know it sounds silly but surely I will burn some calories doing them?
  • kay8577
    kay8577 Posts: 7
    Options
    I would put it under cardio.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Squats would be strenght training which is good and I would suggest it. Make sure you look at some videos so you get the proper form. Form is very important. You need to stick your butt out like you're going to sit down. Body resistence squats are a great way to start.

Edit.
    Any actvity is going to burn calories. Cardio burns more then strenght training but strength training builds your muscles which in the end will burn more calories while your resting.

You should do both. Doing only cardio will burn calories but you will lose muscle if you are eating at a deficit.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    swimming is amazing for a hurtful body back or joints, im not saying you wont be sore for going hard, but its so worth it.
  • judy11351
    judy11351 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent bike .. you sit down on it and your legs are out in front of you instead of a regular bike. I bought it because it is easier on my back. Best of luck to you. :-)
  • battink
    battink Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I find Yoga is really useful - I have lower back pain too, but I go to a class and made the instructor aware of my problem, so she tells me what levels to stay at and adjusts my posture appropriately for me. How do you feel about going to classes?

I also find yoga helpful for depression/anxiety.

also, what butterfly said - be mindful of your Form when doing squats - do them wrong and you could cause more pain.

eta - sorry, just saw you said you hardly go out... yoga classes on youTube might be good? :)
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Youtube Chris Powell and check out some of his level 1 stuff.
  • njadh51
    njadh51 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes...swimming and yoga for now. You have to rebuild slowly from the inside out. As you lose weight, the spine decompresses and there maybe some different pain as it adjusts. For sure with a bad back, yoga would be the best. Also for thyroid issues, you may want to look into the benefits of taking virgin coconut oil
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I would definitely focus on low/no-impact choices. You don't want to cause any more trouble with your back. Swimming, recumbent bicycle, aqua aerobics, yoga (being mindful of your low back) and Pilates are all good choices. You could also try a low-impact DVD workout like one of the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds. They are easy to follow. Best of luck to you-- I have been dealing with back pain on and off for a couple of years and it can be so frustrating!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Chair exercises ....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+chair+workouts

Look up Sit to Be Fit or Chair Dancing......a couple of brands. Video clips will give you some ideas

http://www.collagevideo.com/search?q=sit+to+be+fit

http://www.collagevideo.com/search?q=chair+dancing
  • lulabelle2687
    Options
    Wow thank you all so much, I will check them all out, I already watched a video on squats so I know already how far I can go etc and what I should be doing (I hope lol) I tried searching in the exercise bit to put squats in but it didn't come up with anything.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all so much, I will check them all out, I already watched a video on squats so I know already how far I can go etc and what I should be doing (I hope lol) I tried searching in the exercise bit to put squats in but it didn't come up with anything.

You can use the "strength training" tab in the cardio section.
  • lulabelle2687
    Options
    it's awkward because it doesn't come up with every exercise I have just done and I don't have a heart rate monitor to check how many calories i have burned either.

Today I have done:

20 squats
    20 seated calf raises
    10 sidekick raises
    20 chest press (sort of)
    20 bicep exercises

I would honestly love to know how much that comes to lol
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    it's awkward because it doesn't come up with every exercise I have just done and I don't have a heart rate monitor to check how many calories i have burned either.

Today I have done:

20 squats
    20 seated calf raises
    10 sidekick raises
    20 chest press (sort of)
    20 bicep exercises

Calorie burns depend upon height, weight, age, gender, exertion level & more. Under cardiovascular - strength training - log the number of minutes it took for your routine. MFP will give you an estimate. Keep in mind estimates tend to be generous. People who regularly eat exercise calories back tend to eat 50-75% only.

Strength training is really tough to calculate....it depends (not on heart rate) but on muscle fatigue.
  • lulabelle2687
    Options

Today I have done:

20 squats
    20 seated calf raises
    10 sidekick raises
    20 chest press (sort of)
    20 bicep exercises

Calorie burns depend upon height, weight, age, gender, exertion level & more. Under cardiovascular - strength training - log the number of minutes it took for your routine. MFP will give you an estimate. Keep in mind estimates tend to be generous. People who regularly eat exercise calories back tend to eat 50-75% only.

Strength training is really tough to calculate....it depends (not on heart rate) but on muscle fatigue.

I hardly eat my calories back, only a few, but thanks, that helps, will just continue to try and do as much as possible.