upset with my body can someone help

Options
im a healthy bmi of 20 but i feel fat and to be honest i look it aswell because i have a tummy like santa and i dont know why...
i did a body fat calculator test which came up 28% which is in average range and i thought women needed a higher percentage than men but i just don't know any more

Replies

• elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Weight training. Lift heavy. You will get firm and sculpted (not bulky). Try a (free) progressive program like Stronglifts 5x5

I'm also BMI of 20 and using weight training to recomposition my body (build muscle, lose fat)

Edit to add: online fat calculators are literally rubbish. Callipers are the only accurate tool to measure fat. Women at 20% fat are considered very healthy, so 28 isn't as bad as you might think.
  • jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    Options
    thank you! if you have any usefull other links for weight lifting i would be great full just message me but how would it help my belly? :/
  • jess17587
    Options
    and also thanks for the tip on body fat calculators
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to lose weight also? Or just lose body fat? You might want to also integrate a couple HIIT trainings into your program to help get you lean quicker, just a thought.
  • jess17587
    Options
    i just want to lose some body fat or thats really what i think anyway all i know is i want my stomach/tummy to go down like a bit more flat
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Women have to go to 20% BF or less to see abs. A progressive lifting program combined with adequate protein, etc. will get you there. However, my tummy was the same even at 16% BF and I found out that I had Diastasis recti. Traditional ab exercises can actually make it worse, but there are a few things you can try.

http://www.dailyhiit.com/hiit-blog/hiit-life/pregnancy-motherhood/diastasis-recti-properly-train-strengthen-core-flat-abs/

If this is what you have, though, it's the advice in that link or a tummy tuck. I'm a very impatient woman...I had the TT. :)

Best of luck!
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    skinnybythanksgiving Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My tummy shrinks like mad when I reduce my carbs. Not no carb or super low carb, just more protein and veggie choices. Lactose intolerance can cause tummy bloating too, as well as eating Foods you are intolerant to.
  • jess17587
    Options
    how many inches should my stomach messuer from the belly button all the way around?
  • DanceswithWow
    Options
    Hello jess17587

My name is Dances with Wow..

Your question is rife with disconnect..BMI and belly distention are unrelated..

BMI health is not your concern so your question will illicit wrong solutions to the problem..

Distention is a result of either intestinal inflamation. repeated overuse use of diuretics, gout, food allergy, famine,

with out a picture..it would be difficult to get a read. or provide an for certain answer..

Assuming its intestinal inflammation and nothing more serious, like gout , a food allergy lactose intolerance for instance, or famine related your body is starving..

Your bdoy is trying to indicate it that there is a chemical substance creating an imbalance with the fluid in your body..creating an expansion in your intestinal wall which is trying to find its way out or be counter balanced by another compound.

Its unlikely to be simply exercised away..

If its an exercise distortion vs distention of the lower stomach..them an exercise application depending on motorskill development can be effective at flattening it out

My name is Dances with Wow.. I help people just like you discover indomitable life force through fitness..

Yours is just a friend click away
  • jess17587
    Options
    i have looked up a few things on the nhs and none of the symtopms relate to me but thank you for the help and i might see my gp
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right about lifting heavy, but I, honestly, don't have time to do that.

What I did do that helped my core muscles (back and abs) a lot was sitting on a Pilates ball at work all day and walking. Both help your back and stomach muscles. I also lay on my back, put books on my stomach, and push them out and hold for 10 seconds, then in and hold 10 seconds, for a few minutes a day. It is not a lot. It does help strengthen the muscles that hold in your gut.
  • jess17587
    Options
    thank you will do x
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You have to follow a proper fitness plan. Do exercises targeting your tummy fat. You can do some exercises like crunches, twist crunches, side crunches etc... you can also join a gym. Sometimes your bmi is fine, but tummy has excess fat. You have to change your lifestyle and eating habits.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You have to follow a proper fitness plan. Do exercises targeting your tummy fat. You can do some exercises like crunches, twist crunches, side crunches etc... you can also join a gym. Sometimes your bmi is fine, but tummy has excess fat. You have to change your lifestyle and eating habits.
    Exercises don't target fat. It's not an active mass. It can't be exercised.

Strengthening your abdominals can help flatten it somewhat, but most of all you just need less fat. A small deficit and regular progressive resistance training will achieve that.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If you BMI is only 20, your 'sticking out tummy' could be something as simple as bad posture! Make sure you pull yourself upright from your pelvis, not just stick your shoulders back and chest out and see if this improves your shape.
  • sandryc
    sandryc Posts: 33
    Options
    Sometimes our own image of what our body is can be incredibly inaccurate. I would suggest going to a Dr for a physical first. They can evaluate you. Strength training is generally not a bad idea at all but I would make sure to get a professional opinion to verify if your goal is reasonable for your body.