Metformin and Appetite

Options
I'm going to be making an appt with my doctor for this coming week - but I thought I'd ask here.

I'm one of those super obnoxious people that has trouble meeting 1200 calories a day. I don't eat diet foods, I don't eat "clean". I just eat regularly, but I get full really fast. I now have several snacks throughout the day before I even start to feel hunger to assist in meeting my goal (which is actually 1500ish calories) - and that's helped some, but I'm still not where I'd like to be. It's not mental, I'm not starving myself and I'm not being a pain in the a*s.

I am on Metformin because I'm "borderline" insulin resistant (not quite, but close enough that my doctor wants to get ahead of things).

I was wondering if anyone has had Metformin cause a suppressed appetite. I can't figure out any other reason. I've googled, but I'd like to hear some real personal experience.

PS, I know that being too under my goal is not healthy. I know that it's not the correct way to lose weight, and before anyone asks, I got fat because I was drinking about 1200 calories in sugary drinks a day. I've never been a "big" eater.

TIA

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Bueller?
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    And a final, desperate bump.
  • Edie05
    Edie05 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was on metformin 7 years ago and lost 25 pounds without even trying. I was pre-diabetic. It suppressed my appetite but also upset my stomach, especially when I ate fatty foods.
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My daughter is on metformin as is my husband. It has definitely affected my husband's appetite. My daughter has only been on it since May when she was diagnosed type 2 and she started trying to lose weight. She has remarked her hunger has abated somewhat.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1/2 dose a day of Metfomin and haven't noticed any appetite decline .... but perhaps repost your question in one of the diabetic groups?? you might get a bigger response from others on it there... search under groups for the keyword "diabetes" and you'll find a couple there :flowerforyou:
  • rmcminn89
    rmcminn89 Posts: 37
    Options
    I am on metformin for PCOS. It does decrease my appetite so that I am able to stick to my 1400 calorie goal, but I for the most part always hit my goal. Maybe instead of trying to eat MORE, eat more calorie dense foods like nuts which are small in weight but normally higher on the calorie end.
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    One of the side effects of Metformin is a decrease in appetite. Quite normal. I just started it again for PCOS and have little to no appetite.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Thanks all! I appreciate it!
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My husband has been on metformin for about 12 years. He has type 2 diabetes and was able to lose and gain weight while on metformin, so, no I would say it makes no difference to most people.
  • ToughHippieChick
    ToughHippieChick Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I've been on Metformin for a few years. 2000mg daily.
    I have not seen any decrease in appetite, nor weight loss related to being on it.

:flowerforyou:
  • csdean1
    csdean1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I just joined and I don't really know how this is going to work out yet, but I do know about metformin. It is for help with borderline or type 2 diabetes and it does suppress your appetite. I also know that you really need to push yourself to eat so that you do not get a sugar low. If that starts things really get worse. That is why I joined , I need to lose weight but not the wrong foods.: