Being clumsy and working out

Options
I want to try to take a step class at my gym which I was all for UNTIL I had a free hour with a personal trainer and I had to do this thing where you jump up and down on a step and squat. Looked easy enough as the cute personal trainer did it. Ya well when ERICA(me) tried doing it..fricken fell. Thats right, apparently I didnt jump high enough(it really wasnt that high) and My foot like kicked the steps and it made a big noise lol. Thats cute right? Ya so needless to say..i am not litterally AFRAID to take a step class because I will look like a fool

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I want to try to take a step class at my gym which I was all for UNTIL I had a free hour with a personal trainer and I had to do this thing where you jump up and down on a step and squat. Looked easy enough as the cute personal trainer did it. Ya well when ERICA(me) tried doing it..fricken fell. Thats right, apparently I didnt jump high enough(it really wasnt that high) and My foot like kicked the steps and it made a big noise lol. Thats cute right? Ya so needless to say..i am not litterally AFRAID to take a step class because I will look like a fool

*i am NOW literally afraid to take step
  • hkuiuc99
    hkuiuc99 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    you poor thing! I would have probably done the SAME thing if I was in there! (Not sure if that makes you feel any better!)

:happy:
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Oh man this speaks volumes to me! I was so awkward at Step class when I first started a while back. But I am fully capable of laughing at myself and not taking it too seriously. It will come! and give it a month or two you'll be leading the class...

I loved step cuz I can't dance at all, and by the end of class I felt like I achieved something :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    look at it this way. you couldn't do anything worse than you already did right?

Remember, train the core, gain balance. Most people don't realize that the stronger your abs and lower back are, the more balance you will have, core is crucial to agility.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options

Remember, train the core, gain balance. Most people don't realize that the stronger your abs and lower back are, the more balance you will have, core is crucial to agility.

well actually i could..there is a good chance that i could actually fall flat on my face and possible loose a tooth and i know for sure that that aint cute lol
  • cjnorman
    Options
    I feel the same way. Especially when they add arm stuff. I can sometimes get the leg routine correct, but thenI lose track of the arm work. It just doesn't seem like it should be that hard, but I am a clutz. Now is probably the best time to start a class though because there should be lots of newbies. At least some of those newbies will be more clumsy than you :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

well actually i could..there is a good chance that i could actually fall flat on my face and possible loose a tooth and i know for sure that that aint cute lol

bahh, you won't do that. nobody does that in Step. You'll be fine, focus on the victory, not the loss.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I am just like you - clumsy! I'm one of those who will be walking down the street and literally trip over air. My niece does it, too, and my sister swears she's really MY child! lol! Just go do your step class.....you might fall a couple of times, but eventually you'll get the hang of it. :)
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Just get there early and get a spot in the back, that's what I did when I did step several years ago! It was fun although I never really got my arms going the right way because I was concentrating so much on my feet. Most people are too focused on themselves getting the moves right that they don't have any time to watch you:) Most people are pretty nice too if you can laugh at yourself.
  • sarina87
    sarina87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Step classes are tough, you really have to have good cordination. I work out everyday but i am not particulary a good dancer at all, actually i am a horrible dancer. I took a step class once at X sport and i was so embarrassed. Everyones going to the left while i am going to the right. Maybe it was because i had a really bad instructor, but either way, i'm sticking to spinning and muscle max classes. Boot camp is alright too.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I have yet to take a class even though there are some I would love. I prefer to do my flailing, stumbling and falling in the privacy of my own home.
  • bigcoon103
    Options
    Don't give up yet girl, not everyone is born with the skill. I've been doing step for about five months now and at times kick the step during the class. It takes practice, you can do it, keep trying. Take a seniors class twice a week and step on Tuesdays. Be confident in your self hang in there.