pilates suggestions

Options
I am looking to start Pilates to strengthen my core. Have had back injury in the past so like to be extra careful when I add new exercises.

Was just wondering if anyone have tips on good dvd's as I do all my exercising at home.

Thank you!

Replies

• skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I find all of mine on youtube or through POP Pilates.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to go to a class with a qualified instructor, at least until you have more experience, especially as you have had back problems. You need someone to correct your form and explain how to protect your back as you exercise.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right Litsy. That's how I started off as well, through classes. I use the online workouts now, as in my previous post, but I would definitely recommend learning the basics through an instructor first.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to go to a class with a qualified instructor, at least until you have more experience, especially as you have had back problems. You need someone to correct your form and explain how to protect your back as you exercise.

^With back issues this is the safest route to go^

If you have no access to classes - I would recommend Stott or Winsor. Stay away from 10 Minute Solutions and Crunch, these will be way too fast.

Stott and Winsor DVDs are slower with lots of instruction. They also have beginner/intermediate/advanced labels...check details on Amazon. You might check your library also.

Here are other places to buy DVDs
    https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/category-s/193.htm

http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/pilates-exercise-videos
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Cassey Ho of Blogilates on youtube, fun and free workouts and calendar schedule ;)
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful with Pilates since people can get "certified" in a weekend class. Go with a highly reputable DVD like Winsor Pilates. I have several of them and I love them all. The original one (20 minute Workout) and the circle one are my favorites. I know you can find the circle one with a circle on eBay still. She is with Gaiam now so you can get her beginner DVD for like $8 on Amazon and probably in Target too since they tend to carry a lot of those DVDs. I have not tried those ones but if I see them in Target I will probably pick them up.
  • truediamond11
    truediamond11 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I love love love pilates conditioning for weight loss with suzanne deason. Don't let the title fool you! It is extremely well paced and shows variations for all three levels. Also the moves are chosen keeping in mind heavier bodies and really it is therapeutic. I have had back problems since having my baby boy and this workout has helped loads! You won't regret it

And it is available on youtube :) Go check it out
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngSCeHIDHvk
  • munky_do
    munky_do Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do this DVD: Denise Austin: Mat Workout based on the Work of J.H. Pilates
    I can't keep up with it all the way through yet and there is an advanced workout I have yet to try, but she gives good instructions about form.

I agree about getting instructor input first though, considering your back problems. I've been thinking of getting a 1-on-1 session myself for that very reason.