No sancks!!! Help at a lost

Options
Well tommorow I'm going to the grocery store and I'm stuck on what kinda of things to put on my list for snacks. Keep in mind I have to get stuff for kids and I pack their lunches. I just want to be sure I'm not puting stuff in the house to tempt me. And, well not sure other than maybe some fruit or nuts what kinda of snacks I should eat better yet buy. So if you guys can help me form a pretty good list of snacks that would be great.

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I usually buy Quaker rice cakes, 100 calorie snack packs (cookie section), bananas, apples, Special K cereal bars and I just found Jello pudding 60 calorie packs.
  • mharbaug
    Options
    I have the same issues with snacks. My husband likes to have a snack in the evening and I know that if it is something I like I will eat it all. Pick things your kids like that you don't really like. That is the only way I can do it. Fruit Cocktail cups are good, also the jello cups are good.
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I loaded up on 100 Calorie snacks from Nabisco in the cookie aisle. Lots of fruits and or veggies, rice cakes, applesauce, yogurt...
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks, nuts, hummous, popcorn are my fav's :smile:
  • MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    Options
    "Ants on a Log" Celery sticks, peanut butter and raisins. Kids dont even remember that it's vegetables :wink:
    and it's delicious!
  • jennigriff
    Options
    Where in the UK can you get the Quaker brand rice cakes?
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, so I can't help there. But I do buy string cheese, trial mix and snack packs for my bf for his lunches! Low/no sugar apple sauce is good too.

My snacks usually include banana w/ pb, almonds, protein shake or some other shake. Veggies and fruit make great snacks!
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    low fat cheese sticks, pretzles, apples and natural peanut butter, yogurt...
  • jenroseb
    jenroseb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do not have children yet but I love to snack on a handful of almonds, fruit, carrots (which I dip in mustard - sounds weird but its good!), strawberry greek yogurt and all natural granola bars...... You could try to find some all natural fruit roll ups for your kids that way even if you have one its not a terrible snack!
  • bjmk19047
    bjmk19047 Posts: 123
    Options
    Someone just told me sugar free Hunts chocolate pudding -- 60 calories!

I buy the kids the 100 calorie snack packs of stuff -- crackers, cookies, etc. I know its a little more expensive but at least this way they are eating healthier too! Fruit, cut up vegetables (both of them love baby carrots), and yogurt!
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I love the fiber one granola bars... 9g of fiber per bar! so you'll stay fuller longer! I also get almonds, string cheese, yogurts. Stuff that's easy to carry if you're out and about! Any kind of fruit also.

Hope that helps!
  • cjjohnson
    cjjohnson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love the Laughing Cow cheese wedges, only 35 cal. per wedge! add it to 1 serving of pretzels and you have a very satisfying snack for less than 200 cals!
  • eyerisz
    Options
    Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop (94% fat free) saves me when I'm craving a snack. The whole big bag is 240 calories. I share it with a friend. Sugar free Jello cups are good too. I goofed and froze one and not only was it good, it lasted a little while longer. I think it's only 10 calories.
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I live off of popcorn. I looove cooking it myself on the stove top, so much tastier than microwave. String cheese, apple sauce, clementines, rice cakes, 100 cal snack packs (kind of pricey, but I love the Fudge Petites.. that's where I get my chocolate from!)... granola bars are also good, and other fruits as well. Cottage cheese, yogurt, almonds (or other nuts). :)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Veggies (cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, cucumbers are faves here) and fruits (grapes, apples, Cuties oranges are all current fave here) are always a good bet for you and the kids. Pretzels aren't that bad though they are high in sodium. I also snack on cheese -- get a block and cut into 1/2 or 1/4 oz cubes and grab a few to eat with an apple, or get string cheese if you like it. Peanut butter on whole wheat crackers is a higher calorie snack that is always a favorite here too. Ants on a log is a favorite here, but maybe not so portable for school lunches. Light popcorn with parmesan cheese (yum!) or a few chocolate chips thrown in, or homemade trail mix is good too.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    To keep myself from the pre-packaged foods, yesterday I roasted a few bunches of broccoli and 1.5 zuccini with olive oil and Cajin spice. I also made Spicy, Crispy Chickpeas which I like (though my husband doesn't) I bake them till they are extra crisp and they are more like nuts, but lower in fat. Two days ago I cut up a whole pineapple, a cantalope, a honeydew melon, and washed a pint of bluberries for easy snacking. If I buy stuff for my kids that I don't like, then prepare healthy stuff ahead for myself, I'm far less tempted to go for the junk.
  • StaceysPaige
    Options
    The best thing to eat for snack is something that has lots of protein so you can stay full longer!
    Yogurt is my number one, also fiber one bars, are really good and keeps you full. Good luck, oh and by the way, Buy your kids stuff you don't really like so you won't be tempted to eat it. Although, it might be good to train them how to eat now, so when there older they won't have to struggle like all of us!!!:wink:
  • Pat_Johnson
    Pat_Johnson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I have alot of great ideas now. I can't wait to try some snacks that I haven't tried before