Always hungry

Options
I am always hungry and craving bad foods. How can I stop this craziness? Please give me some tips before I start to eat everything.

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    How big a deficit are you running?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My 5 general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goal is set appropriately. Way too many people skip this step. Don't be that person: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Eat foods with plenty of fat, protein, and fiber. These help us stay fuller and more satiated for longer. If you're using MFP's default numbers, try to get into the red on all 3 every day.

3. Drink plenty of water. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger (but not everyone, obvs.)

4. Play around with meal timings. Some people do really well on 6 small meals a day but it makes others want to gnaw their own arm off. Meal timing won't affect your weight loss. It may affect your energy levels, hunger, mood, etc. throughout the day. Play around to find what works for you.

5. Wait it out. If you're certain you're eating enough, not missing any major food groups or nutrients, and you've tried everything else, you may just have to wait. Bodies send out hunger cues partially out of habit. It can take a little while for those hunger cues to catch up with your new routine.
  • Bananafish06
    Bananafish06 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of potential reasons for this. Here are a few off the top of my head

1. You are trying to lose too much too quickly and need to loosen up your restrictions
    2. You are just starting out and your body may need to adjust to a lower calorie diet (for me this usually only lasts the first couple days or so). If you're making some major changes to your diet you also may need some time to detox from sugar or other foods.
    3. You are going too long between meals. Try eating less food more frequently.
    4. You are not eating nutrient dense foods or not eating a balanced diet. If you are not getting the nutrients you need your body will still stimulate hunger no matter how many calories you consume.
    5. The cravings are stressed/emotional based. The best thing for this is to find alternate ways to relieve stress that don't involve eating (exercise, meditation, counseling, etc.)

Good luck. Without more info that's pretty much all I've got.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I let my self get too hungry I become a bottomless pit.

What usually does it for me is to have some ready prepared chicken in the fridge. Just a few ounces of that keeps me full for a long time. Also if I really need to "put the brakes on" I put a tablespoon or two of olive oil and mix it with the chicken.. add some parmesan cheese and I am satisfied for hours!

Sometimes popcorn is a great hunger stopper.

What isn't a good hunger stopper - refined carbs!

Hope this helps! :smile:
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Try to have small snacks measured and ready. I have seen on here people eating 6 almonds as a snack and I thought how useless is that but I tried it. It works. Protein, fat, and fiber in 6 little nuts. Or go ahead and splurge and have 12...lol...
    But my main advise is be prepared for your rumbling tummy and feed it and water it.
  • amandapanda731
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!!! I keep trying to eat better but I always get hungry and eat bad and sabotage myself. This time I want to stay on track.
  • Ringer1022
    Ringer1022 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sharing your food diary (if you're recording diligently) would be of help too.

If your carbs are high and your protein is low, this could account for hunger. Carbs are very instantly gratifying, but have no long-term satisfaction. Protein however can keep you full for a very long time.

Snacks of fruit or veggies that have a water base can keep you fuller; tomatos, watermelon, etc...
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sharing your food diary (if you're recording diligently) would be of help too.

If your carbs are high and your protein is low, this could account for hunger. Carbs are very instantly gratifying, but have no long-term satisfaction. Protein however can keep you full for a very long time.

Snacks of fruit or veggies that have a water base can keep you fuller; tomatos, watermelon, etc...

+1 for this!

I stay full much longer with more protein and fiber and less refined carbs (or I have those refined carbs with protein). And staying hydrated with lots of water. I also have to make sure not to get too hungry - esp before dinner or I will become a vacuum while preparing dinner.

ETA: When you say you "eat bad and sabotage yourself" - what do you really mean?

Fill your house with good choices and individual portions of treats - basically make it harder to sabotage yourself. If you have trigger foods, don't buy them or only buy one serving and enjoy it. Plan your meals, prelog if you can, make it easy to stick to the healthy eating you are aiming for.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough sleep, for me anyhow it makes it hard to keep on track the next day.

Make sure you're eating enough protein and fat. Tends to keep me less starving.

Increase your calories so you're losing it slower maybe. Less likely to binge and feel defeated.
  • md523083
    md523083 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm in ketosis and have to remind myself to eat. Seriously. This is so freeing!! I'll even prepare my meals for the week or a special keto-friendly dessert just to pass the time... and I won't have a bite. Freeeeeeedom at last!
  • fatbegone85
    Options
    I plan snacks. Even if I have no idea what I'm having for lunch or dinner, I always log some snacks before I eat them. I know myself. I will want them, might as well plan my means around them. So far it has worked out. I eat Breakfast around 6:30, then one snack around 8:30. Then another (maybe) around 10. Then lunch around 11:30/12. Snack again at 1:30. Then dinner. Then snack if I'm hungry and have the calories to spare. If I don't have the calories to spare for the last night snack and I really want it, I exercise. Snack won.
  • amandapanda731
    Options

ETA: When you say you "eat bad and sabotage yourself" - what do you really mean?

Eating fairly healthy and then just falling off the wagon and eating ice cream, donuts, chips, cake stuff like that.