Need help with Diabetes Type II food

Options
I (admittedly), need to lose 7% of my body weight and I am supposed to be on a low carb, low sugar, low GI diet. I have found a select few things that I can eat, but I am not getting enough calories. I am not, and never have been, a huge meat eater. I have always been a fruit and veggie grazer and now I can only have strawberries and raspberries as snack/grazing foods and quite frankly, it is depressing.

I need to stay at 1250 cals per day to accomplish weight loss. Can anyone take a look at my diary and make suggestions? I am so frustrated! I am 100% committed to eating right and making lifestyle changes but I can't seem to overcome this major hurdle. But please be kind, don't fuss at me...I am really emotional and this is all new to me.

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed.

How much fruit are you eating? I'd say eating too much of it might not be a good idea with Type 2 as the fructose will peak your blood sugar.

Basically one of the key things for type 2 diabetes is low GI foods which there is a wealth of information on the internet. There are plenty of vegetarian options too if you don't want to eat so much meat.

Basically avoid refined white carbs (switch the brown wholegrain versions), avoid junk food and saturated fats.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    You will need to spread your carbs out thru the day, so you don't have a lot all at once. I believe the generally rule is no more than 30g per meal. Also, have protein with the carbs, to help slow breakdown of sugar. High fiber carbs are better as well, for slowing down the insulin spike. Check out the low carb groups on here for great food ideas
  • rheannaraye
    rheannaraye Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I've enjoyed doing is using a spiralizer. I made zucchini noodles so I can enjoy spaghetti and chicken alfredo, sweet potato "fries" (I bake them, not deep fry), and have even made warm apples with a tad of brown sugar and butter as a treat. Yum! Just a thought. I have a Paderno, which you can find here: http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade/dp/B0007Y9WHQ

If you're interested, I have a whoooollleee pinterest board I've been collecting with ideas. I haven't made much yet, and need to look through some closely to make sure they're actually good and NOT sneaking in carbs in bad places, but it may help you: http://www.pinterest.com/rheannaraye/diabetic-friendly-recipes/
  • laurabritton54
    laurabritton54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    so you want to lower your carb intake and up your protein. some non meat options: cheese, cottage cheese greek yogurt, beans lentils, what about fish? as was said, switch to whole wheat, brown rice, sweet potatoes vs. white, avoid processed foods as they tend to be high carb and when you do have them watch your portions. it better to pair your carbs, meal and snacks, with a protein. so for a snack one small apple and a couple T of peanut butter, or cheese and crackers. I had gestational diabetes with both boys and was insulin dependent with my second. my diet consisted of 30 carbs for breakfast, 45 for lunch and dinner, 2 15 carb snacks and 1 30 carb bedtime snack. not sure what has been recommended for you. your dr. should have you working with a nutritionist.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Get a nutritionist. They suck for many things, but are a huge help when you say, "Here. Here is what I have to eat and can't eat. These are the doctor's instructions. Help!"

My grocery store had one. For $60/hr, she actually shipped with me, went over the vitamins and their schedules, whole bit. Best $120 I ever spent. She also said she really liked helping people like me, who had qualifications and knew nothing because it was what she wanted to do. She was so helpful and enthusiastic.

I learned to read the labels and all that stuff.

It's depressing, going through the store and finding out that just about every single thing you like is now Off Limits...but it was very helpful. :)

The only thing she couldn't really answer was what constitutes "food" when you have to take something "with food." It's a pretty easy question: "How many strawberries is 'with food'?" She suggested the doctor, who suggested the pharmacist who suggested the doctor or a nutritionist, lol. If nobody knows, it can't be that important, so I make it up as I go. :)

It's very hard to eat all healthy food and still get up to the numbers MFP recommends. Check with your doctor next time you're there. Tell them what you did well, what you didn't and ask for advice. :)

Also, some people here get seriously bent out of shape if you don't eat like they think you should. They kind of wig out. If you click on their name and click on Ignore, you can eliminate the nonsense. :)

Good luck!!!!
  • Shedayz
    Shedayz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yes, I am following the under 30 g carbs rule along with under 15 carbs for snacks. I know HOW to do this, just stumped for food idea since I am not a big meat eater and too few cals is just as bad as bad for Type II. I think a better worded post would be-Can you guys out there with Type II give me an idea of what you are snacking on?
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Other than the high fruit intake for this morning's breakfast, your diary looks pretty good. Good job on keeping carbs in line and getting in enough protein.

To up your calories, I would suggest losing the low fat foods. Don't be afraid of healthy fats. You will need the extra fat to replace the carbs you are losing. Upping your fat will get your cals up where they should be, and will also help you feel fuller thru the day, which will help with hunger tremendously.
    Peanut butter is a good addition, but be sure you weigh it. It is high calorie and can easily be under measured.
    Eggs would be a great breakfast addition, and don't be afraid to have a slice or two of bacon or sausage if you like that.

So far so good!
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    yes, I am following the under 30 g carbs rule along with under 15 carbs for snacks. I know HOW to do this, just stumped for food idea since I am not a big meat eater and too few cals is just as bad as bad for Type II. I think a better worded post would be-Can you guys out there with Type II give me an idea of what you are snacking on?

My go-to low carb snacks are

Cocoa roasted almonds. (Not chocolate covered. These are cocoa-dusted, no sugar added)
    Aldis turkey sausage snack sticks
    Turkey Jerkey
    and pork rinds. They are a great substitute for other chips, and have zero carbs.
    full fat string cheese.

Atkins has a few bars that I like. I enjoy the ones with whole nuts in them, like the Hazelnut, and the dark chocolate almond crunch, and the caramel peanut clusters are all very good.

They give me my chocolate fix without the added sugar.

I also add avocados to my egg omelets, and salads. Great source of healthy fats and helps with upping calories.

Someone else mentioned the spiralyzer for zucchini noodles. I have a Vegetti that I bought at Walmart, and I LOVE it. I make zucchini noodles quite often. Add a little garlic and spot of butter, pop in the microwave covered for 2 minutes and ready to eat.
  • elsie0o0
    elsie0o0 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This website might be useful

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

My go-to low carb snacks are

Cocoa roasted almonds. (Not chocolate covered. These are cocoa-dusted, no sugar added)
    Aldis turkey sausage snack sticks
    Turkey Jerkey
    and pork rinds. They are a great substitute for other chips, and have zero carbs.
    full fat string cheese.

Atkins has a few bars that I like. I enjoy the ones with whole nuts in them, like the Hazelnut, and the dark chocolate almond crunch, and the caramel peanut clusters are all very good.

They give me my chocolate fix without the added sugar.

I also add avocados to my egg omelets, and salads. Great source of healthy fats and helps with upping calories.

Someone else mentioned the spiralyzer for zucchini noodles. I have a Vegetti that I bought at Walmart, and I LOVE it. I make zucchini noodles quite often. Add a little garlic and spot of butter, pop in the microwave covered for 2 minutes and ready to eat.

I second all of this, except for the Atkins bars (I'm not a fan of snack bars, and have never had the Atkins bars, so I can't speak for them).

Also:

Strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries (or any combination thereof) with heavy cream (liquid or whipped)
    Hard boiled eggs for snacks
    Avocados in or on anything, or even by themselves
    Cook with coconut oil, or even eat it straight if you're so inclined (seriously, coconut oil is spectacular for a number of things, including positive effects on Type II Diabetes symptoms)
    Peanut butter, almond butter (or insert favorite nut butter here), coconut manna, cream cheese, or avocado on a vegetable (carrots, celery, etc)
    Full-fat plain yogurt, with fruit to sweeten if it's too tart (you can also make your own to ensure there aren't any additives)
    Cream cheese clouds ( http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cream_cheese_clouds.html )

It pretty much boils down to -- if you cut carbs, you have to increase fat. Protein is building blocks for repair, and not very calorie dense. You need fuel, and carbs and fat are fuel sources. As you've found, if you cut carbs and don't increase fats, then you end up short on calories. Even worse, keeping both carbs and fat low sets you up for nutrient deficiencies and issues relating to too high a percentage of protein (see also: rabbit starvation). So, don't be afraid to get more fats in.
  • countesscharleyangel
    countesscharleyangel Posts: 39 Member
    Options

My snack ideas:
    light yogurt, craisins or raisins mixed with peanuts, 1 cup almond milk, string cheese, peanut butter on top of apple/cinnamon rice cake, 1/2 banana
  • laurabritton54
    laurabritton54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    also cinnamon is good for diabetes and can possibly help lower glucose levels.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'll second the Atkins bars. I eat one almost every day for breakfast just because I like that they are low in sugar and high in protein and they are easy to eat at my desk.

For a great list of foods, check out the Atkins Phase One and Two foods lists. There are lots of veggies listed on them but few fruits beyond berries since most are high in sugar. You don't have to be following Atkins to use these helpful lists but I know a few people with Type II diabetes who do since it's basically the way you need to eat anyway.

http://www.atkins.com/program/phase-1/what-you-can-eat-in-this-phase.aspx

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-2/What-You-Can-Eat-in-this-Phase.aspx

I'd avoid the dairy in the Phase Two list but the list of nuts and berries is good.

Snack ideas (I'm probably repeating some):

Nuts especially macademia nuts and almonds
    Sugar Free Jello with full fat whipped cream
    Atkins has some great treat bars
    Celery with Almond butter
    String Cheese
    Summer sausage and cheese slices
    Sugar free hard candy (there's plenty of brands that have sugar free versions like Jolly Ranchers, Werther's and Life Savers)
    Pork Rinds (I've also use them crushed in place of bread crumbs to make meat loaf)
    Jerky
    Olives
    Sugar free popsicles (not ice cream)
    A hard boiled egg
    Pickles

ETA: The Atkins site also has a great recipe collection and the recipes are marked for which Phase you are in. Since you're keeping to under 30 grams per day you'll want to stick to the Phase One and maybe Two recipes. Good luck! Also, if you sign up on their site they'll send you some free bars to try. Free is always good.

http://community.atkins.com/Templates/RecipesSearch.aspx
  • jaegging
    jaegging Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, I am type 2 and stuggle to eat enough while keeping my carbs where I want them. I can echo a few suggestions here like cheese (I go for string cheese and pepperjack slices most often) and nuts. I enjoy Dannon Light & Fit greek yogurts. Hard boiled eggs are great. I get turkey sticks which are delicious and at 45 calories per stick I can fit in a bunch of those.

I love a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter. Fresh green beans with hummus. I also eat a lot of Fiber One products like protein chewy bars. The peanut butter chewy bar is only 13 net carbs. Unsweetened applesauce is another of my favorites.

Overall, I eat more carbs than you do as I try to keep my meals <60 and snacks <15. You're welcome to add me and scour my diary for snack ideas if you'd like!

P.S. Please keep eating all the fruit you want!!
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You will need to spread your carbs out thru the day, so you don't have a lot all at once. I believe the generally rule is no more than 30g per meal. Also, have protein with the carbs, to help slow breakdown of sugar. High fiber carbs are better as well, for slowing down the insulin spike. Check out the low carb groups on here for great food ideas

this is not accurate. Its no less than 30g Carb per meal for diabetes. The actual meal amounts will vary person to person, based off calorie needs. at 1250 you are looking at about 140g Carb per day which is about 45g per meal, or if you have 15g snacks you can do 30g at each meal with a 15g AM, PM and bedtime snack. that is not many carbs though and most women average about 45g at lunch and dinner.
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When my husband was diagnosed with type 2 he was sent to a diabetes educator (RN certified in diabetes education) and a dietician. Do they not have that option where you live or can you ask your doctor to refer you?
  • kgreenRDLDN
    Options
    also cinnamon is good for diabetes and can possibly help lower glucose levels.

Not always. It varies person to person and research is 50/50 on whether it works or not. I have counseled many diabetics patients who it didn't work for and some that it did. Ground cinnamon is better than buying cinnamon pills from the vitamin section and much cheaper.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    Options
    When my husband was diagnosed with type 2 he was sent to a diabetes educator (RN certified in diabetes education) and a dietician. Do they not have that option where you live or can you ask your doctor to refer you?

This is the best option. However there are CDEs (certified Diabetes Educator) that are RDs (I'm one of them...lol) If you are only concerned on the nutrition side I would recommend finding either a Registered Dietitian (RD) or a RD, CDE. Most insurances will cover diabetes education.
  • VTRutz
    VTRutz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Im not Type II, but I do eat VLC (keto-ish) with a daily carb goal of 30-40g. I almost always hit my 1200 calorie goal...my diary is open to everyone, so feel free to pop in and see if there are any items that pop out at you!
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to lower your carbs? Is this doctors orders or do you think it'll help control your blood sugars better? I'm type 1 diabetic and carbs make 40% of my diet. It's all about eating the right carbs...fruits, sweet potatoes, carrots, greens, lentils, whole grains, etc. I eat roughly 150-250g of carbs a day (and about 40g fibre) and I have way better control of my blood sugars than I ever did before on low carb.

Now if this is doctor's orders, your best bet are eggs, greens, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, peas (which have amazing protein) avocados and other good fats (good fats help stabilize blood sugars too), edamame, lupini beans, and good old fashioned protein supplements.

However, if you have kidney disease or kidney problems caused by diabetes, you should know that high protein diets tend to escalate the problem.