Best way to lose weight around your midsection?

Options
I am a newbie, so quick question, is cardio the best way to lose fat around your middle and tighes...weights are to tone after....right?

Replies

• HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    No ! Not after ! If you're restricting your calories at ALL, you need to be doind SOME sort of resistance or weights to retain your muscle so you don't lose it !. Losing muscle only leads to lowering of metabolism and needing less calories. Who wants to eat at 1400 calories/day forever?
    You can't target your tummy. Try some form of cardio 2x week with weights 3x week and you will lose it all over. For me, the stuff that's been with me the longest (i.e. hips, and lower abdomen), is still there, although signicantly deflated. That will be the last to go.
  • Fentyman
    Fentyman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Do both.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You can't target. The weight is going to come off how it wants to come off.
    The only place I still have a lot of fat left is my stomach. You can see my ribs though when I stretch up. (which I hate!)

And no, weights aren't for after. Weights are for the entire process - you will actually burn more calories and shape your body more doing that than cardio. Start NOW
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Definitely do both- don't wait to start lifting!! Look up some programs online and get started. I've noticed a decrease all over pretty proportionately, and I run 3-4 times a week and lift 3 times a week.
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    Thanks guys, very helpful!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie, so quick question, is cardio the best way to lose fat around your middle and tighes...weights are to tone after....right?

Cardio burns fat best.
    Less fat = less visually occluded = firmer body composition and appearance.

Resistance training tones the muscles under the fat.
    "toned" muscle = increased muscular density = firmer body composition and appearance.

Actually growing muscles - increasing volume of muscle fiber - is relatively difficult to do. There will be some muscular swelling after bouts of resistance training, as muscles retain water to promote healing. Don't get discouraged.