Desk job activity

Options
So I spend quite a bit of my time at work sitting and/or in front of the computer...
I currently do these things to try to keep my blood pumping (okay, not at all, but faster :))

-If I need to use the restroom, get water, or go somewhere else within my building, I usually try to run up stairs to the top first (I'm on the first floor, the top is about 6 1/2 floors (no, not Being John Malkovich!)

-I sometimes take a walk around outside (okay, sometimes = next to never)

-I try to at least once/day do stretches in my office (mostly based on yoga)

Any other tips/ideas to share?

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Make it a priority to take a walk. Maybe get up every couple hours or so and take a lap around the office. I find that it makes me less stiff if I do this (I used to work a desk job). Also, make time for a workout before or after work. Your body will thank you for it.
  • tvanderberg
    Options
    I make it a priority to walk laps inside or outside during the day. Those laps add up and so do the calories burned. Taking the stairs is another great idea and parking your car far from the building as well.
  • medangel06
    Options
    I once read an article about things you can do while sitting at your desk. Like concentrate at flexing your abs or butt. Do shoulder rolls and roll your next. These help burn a few extra calories and make your muscles happier.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - I do need to make a point to get outside and walk more - plus, it's outside which is a nice change :)

I tried to estimate how many calories are burned on the stairs - about 88 steps, and everywhere I've looked gives .11 calorie per stair, so I rounded it down to .1 - so about 9 calories per trip..
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If your office allows it, I've heard that getting a stability ball and replacing your desk chair with it is good. Stability balls require you to balance which helps strengthen your core muscles. Plus they are actually pretty comfy to sit on!
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I have heard of people using the exercise ball as chair instead and that wil work your core muscles while you work :) my old job had gym area in it with treadmill and some weights that we could use during our lunch hour if we wanted too.