Things People Do not tell you about weight loss!

Options
1 You are going to be hungry!
Especially the first three days. You are going to be hungry! You are going to have to fight through it! I don't get why people think that while you are trying to lose weight. You shouldn't be hungry at anytime! You are decreasing the amount of food you are eating and your stomach isn't used to that. Of course you are gonna be hungry!
2 It will take a lot of work!
It's not easy! When I started at the end of March I was blown and torn by all the work. But I still did it and I lost 14 pounds so far . And I have hypo throid on top of it. So I am just saying that you will have to work hard everyday. So be sure this is something you want to do.
3 People Will Be Jerks!
"Your pretty,you don't need that!" "You don't need to restrict, just eat the right foods!" "Just have one,it won't kill you!" You are making a difference in YOUR life, and YOUR health. And not everyone will support your decision.
4 You will have to be selfish sometimes.
Like there are times where you will have to reject other people for yourself. Like not go out to an ice cream party they invited you to,or not eat the cake they made. Again your gonna have to deal with it
5 You will feel some discomfort
Your body is shirting to whole different body. And your body is changing faster than your mind. And that may explain why your the last person to notice weight loss. So you will feel out of sorts sometimes during your journey.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but have to note that I did not have these experiences. Yes--it is slow going and frustrating sometimes, but I hardly suffered at all. I'm going at it with patience and don't care when I arrive at goal. I lost 20lbs so far and would like to lose another 10. I prefer losing the weight slowly. I cannot let you tell everyone that it's the way you say. I recommend just chugging along, eat enough not to suffer, excercise as much as you can and you will get where you want to be. Best. :smile:
  • amr122393
    amr122393 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree, suffering should not be part of it! Life is hard enough already, we should be treating our bodies with patience and love, while knowing that we are doing the right thing by feeding it healthy foods and doing workouts! :smile:
  • Tim_CNY
    Tim_CNY Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of these, just want to post some observations/rebuttals :)
    After a while, your stomach gets used to eating less and you'll find you're full from eating far less than you used to.
    It was a little taxing in the beginning, however you'll find you eat mostly the same things each week so adding them becomes fairly easy.
    3 People Will Be Jerks!
    Most people will be supportive, frankly I haven't had anyone say anything cruel to me. It really makes my day when I haven't seen someone in a while and they comment on how much I've changed.
    You'll be able to go to parties and either not eat the bad food, or eat smaller portions to fit within your goals. Also, you'll find eating badly for one day won't ruin all the work you've put in.
    When you put on a smaller size shirt or pants than you were expecting, you'll feel like you're being pranked. When you try on several others and find it's correct, you'll feel amazing.
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    100% on board with you ^^
    1. Yes, true. Especially at night for me because I tend of stay up a bit late.
    2. Workout = hardwork because our body would like to NOT exercise and be lazy.
    3. People aren't going to taken in consideration that if what they are doing is helping you or hurting you.
    4. Say no to going out and eat out is a must. Not all the time but must be if your friends eat out 5 days a week. It's alright to do that once a week.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I agree, suffering should not be part of it! Life is hard enough already, we should be treating our bodies with patience and love, while knowing that we are doing the right thing by feeding it healthy foods and doing workouts! :smile:

I agree too. I have never felt hungry to be honest, and don't really feel weight loss has been "hard work" although as I get closer to my goal it's requiring more patience to see a drastically slower loss.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've never felt deprived or starving at all on my weight loss journey! It doesn't have to be a part of it. You just have to find foods that are filling and nutritious and it isn't a problem.

Some people aren't supportive, but you can't expect everyone to be! Not everyone supports you through everything and that's life.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Things people didnt tell me?

That it isnt rocket science. I didnt need new shoes, or new clothes, or some special bit of eqt, or a book, or a supplement. I didnt need to go through all the complicated stuff.

It is simply a math problem.

The kind of math you learn early in grade school.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    1. No - not if you have a reasonable goal, and make smart substitutions in what you eat in order to feel satiated. My #1 rule: if hungry, eat.

2. Work? that is subjective. Commitment and determination, yes. Work, depends on your personal definition.

3. Depends on the sort of people in your life.

4. You do need to prioritize, but I'm not sure that is selfish. Sometimes you have to take care of yourself first. Think of the instructions for an emergency when on an airplane: put the oxygen mask on your own face first. You can't save your kids, etc. if you are incapacitated.

5. Maybe. There are fleeting moments when I'd love to down 1/2 a big greasy pizza. But its just as enjoyable to have a piece or two (though less grease is preferred) and enjoy the taste, and not have the major discomfort LATER from over-indulging.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I thought it would be really hard and if I had done it the way I was going to before joining here, it would have been.
    I don't have to be perfect.
    The scales lie.
    I no longer want to be a certain weight, I want to be fit.
    The in between clothes sizes stinks!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    1. The beginning was hardest. I used to eat a lot more. Once I went...I don't even think it was a week...eating smaller portions, it became easy. Your stomach shrinks and you no longer feel like you have to eat a ton. A friend who eats massive amounts of food decided to diet and complained about the hunger and asked me what you do. I said, "You have to BE HUNGRY. Give it a week! It gets easier." A week was too long. Fine, you want to weight 360 pounds, do that! Just don't complain to me!

2. It's not that much work, I don't work harder than I did before, but it had obstacles. It's actually easier now that I see progress as I go. :)

3. My very fat friend is the only one who is jerky. Says things like, "Well, I don't want to be a Skinny Mini." Because if you weigh less than 200 pounds, you're too skinny? Lots of small, mean comments. My favorite was, "Wish someone would give me a magic pill!" Had to point out that my "magic" pill just gives me what she already has. She has issues, obviously. Everyone else has been really supportive. They even asked if it was okay to eat things in front of me. Like I'd say, "No! If I can't have ribs, NOBODY CAN!" :)

4. People do get very rude about forcing food on others. They can't hear "No, thank you" and respond appropriately. "Oh, have a small piece!" "Go off your diet! One little pice can't hurt you!" I know they were raised by people who didn't teach them any better, but it's annoying. I've found that if the third rude "encouragement" comes, a simple, "I have made my decision. No, thank you" will shut them up.

5. I don't know. I think I notice it less because I see myself every day. When people from out of town show up, they flip. I never flip because I see me every day. I knew I was losing before anyone else noticed, though. It is still hard for me to walk to the non-Fat Lady section, though.

It was so awesome the first time I went to Kohls and all the clothes in the Fat Lady section were too big. I was like, "What now? They're too big!" It really took a moment before I remembered there were other sections and that maybe...I belonged over there now! I felt a little uneasy walking to the normal section, like an imposter. Like I'd get caught and someone would say, "Back to the Fat Lady section, where you belong!" But I felt like a Queen when I walked out with a bag containing two new shirts, size XL, from the normal section. That was a GREAT day. Kind of pathetic, but great! :)
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    1. The beginning was hardest. I used to eat a lot more. Once I went...I don't even think it was a week...eating smaller portions, it became easy. Your stomach shrinks and you no longer feel like you have to eat a ton. A friend who eats massive amounts of food decided to diet and complained about the hunger and asked me what you do. I said, "You have to BE HUNGRY. Give it a week! It gets easier." A week was too long. Fine, you want to weight 360 pounds, do that! Just don't complain to me!

2. It's not that much work, I don't work harder than I did before, but it had obstacles. It's actually easier now that I see progress as I go. :)

3. My very fat friend is the only one who is jerky. Says things like, "Well, I don't want to be a Skinny Mini." Because if you weigh less than 200 pounds, you're too skinny? Lots of small, mean comments. My favorite was, "Wish someone would give me a magic pill!" Had to point out that my "magic" pill just gives me what she already has. She has issues, obviously. Everyone else has been really supportive. They even asked if it was okay to eat things in front of me. Like I'd say, "No! If I can't have ribs, NOBODY CAN!" :)

4. People do get very rude about forcing food on others. They can't hear "No, thank you" and respond appropriately. "Oh, have a small piece!" "Go off your diet! One little pice can't hurt you!" I know they were raised by people who didn't teach them any better, but it's annoying. I've found that if the third rude "encouragement" comes, a simple, "I have made my decision. No, thank you" will shut them up.

5. I don't know. I think I notice it less because I see myself every day. When people from out of town show up, they flip. I never flip because I see me every day. I knew I was losing before anyone else noticed, though. It is still hard for me to walk to the non-Fat Lady section, though.

It was so awesome the first time I went to Kohls and all the clothes in the Fat Lady section were too big. I was like, "What now? They're too big!" It really took a moment before I remembered there were other sections and that maybe...I belonged over there now! I felt a little uneasy walking to the normal section, like an imposter. Like I'd get caught and someone would say, "Back to the Fat Lady section, where you belong!" But I felt like a Queen when I walked out with a bag containing two new shirts, size XL, from the normal section. That was a GREAT day. Kind of pathetic, but great! :)

Nothing pathetic about that at all! Great job!
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I concur. The last time I remember not being hungry was.... when I ate my entire daily calorie goal in one sitting. Mmmm, love Texas Roadhouse.... Can't say that the continual hungry feeling it only lasts 3 days though....

It is not a lot of work. It is way more than that. Full time job on top of the others you may have. Constantly fighting wanting to eat something that tastes good rather than something that fits in your calorie goal. Wanting to eat seconds because you are still hungry and completely unsatisfied with what you ate... working more hours at your paying job to pay for the food cause "healthy" food is more expensive than junk food. (Looking at my power bill, cooking is expensive too. HUGE usage spiked when I make dinner.)

People are jerks. *nods* Individuals can be nice.

If I was being selfish, I would eat what I wanted. Not going to earn enough for private school for the kids looking like this.... This journey isn't for me. Guess I can't necessarily agree on that one.

Who doesn't feel discomfort? I can't remember the last time I would say I was comfortable between the hunger and the back pain accompanied by irregularity. Yay fun!

No, Just kidding. Not a fun ride at all.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nothing pathetic about that at all! Great job!
    Aw, thanks! After decades in the Fat Lady section, it was a huge deal for me. :)
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've struggled with hunger, but I am a recovering binge eater. I ate until I made myself sick and my stomach is used to those huge amounts. It's going to take time, but I'll eventually shrink it to where I won't deal with hunger.

Yes, keeping up willpower can be hard work.

Yes, some people will be jerks but that does not apply only to weight loss.. some are jerks about everything. Takes all kinds to make a world.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    For lasting results you can not diet in a way you can not maintain. It is unrealistic to have to live hungry. Better choices and more activity you can live in a world where you can have your cake and eat it too. Small piece of cake (mos people I see cut slices give you 3 or 4 servings in one piece) Just eat food and do not eat a lot of it. if you need bulk pick better choices. I Love spaghetti squash!
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    It is ALOT easier to put on weight than it is to take it off..and it burns my butt when people say "well, you did not put it on overnight, it will not come off over night"..well tell ya what, if I binged...it would be put on overnight and it would take me weeks to lose...uggghhhh
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Keeping it off takes just as much work as losing it...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    the only time I have ever lost weight was when I was miserable, going to bed with growling stomach every night...

now I eat until not hungry, work out to my heart content, but I am not losing. that's just my case.
  • Adejito
    Adejito Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you, i literally almost teared up because its such an emotional struggle for me and I could relate to everything you mentioned. I never realized how much mental discipline losing weigh would require. Thanks for sharing!
  • Adejito
    Adejito Posts: 2
    Options
    Especially the first three days. You are going to be hungry! You are going to have to fight through it! I don't get why people think that while you are trying to lose weight. You shouldn't be hungry at anytime! You are decreasing the amount of food you are eating and your stomach isn't used to that. Of course you are gonna be hungry!
    It's not easy! When I started at the end of March I was blown and torn by all the work. But I still did it and I lost 14 pounds so far . And I have hypo throid on top of it. So I am just saying that you will have to work hard everyday. So be sure this is something you want to do.
    3 People Will Be Jerks!
    "Your pretty,you don't need that!" "You don't need to restrict, just eat the right foods!" "Just have one,it won't kill you!" You are making a difference in YOUR life, and YOUR health. And not everyone will support your decision.
    Like there are times where you will have to reject other people for yourself. Like not go out to an ice cream party they invited you to,or not eat the cake they made. Again your gonna have to deal with it
    Your body is shirting to whole different body. And your body is changing faster than your mind. And that may explain why your the last person to notice weight loss. So you will feel out of sorts sometimes during your journey.