Injury?

Options
Wednesday, While at the gym with my sister I decided to practice squats with a straight curling bar (empty). I placed it on the soft part of my neck and after only 2-3 reps I felt a dull pain in my head which was like a headache. Now jump to Friday, I tried warming up squats with 5lb dumdbells but the pain was sharp this time and I stopped.

Did I injure myself, I've been resting since then

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Go see a medical professional.

You don't rest the bar on your neck. You may want to read something like Starting Strength before you attempt something like this again (after you've healed - obviously).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Go see a medical professional.

You don't rest the bar on your neck. You may want to read something like Starting Strength before you attempt something like this again (after you've healed - obviously).

Yeah, this. The bar doesn't go across your neck.
  • GoldFinch22
    Options
    Go to a doctor. You may have a herniated disc in your neck..Not fun at all.
  • KaleDOG
    KaleDOG Posts: 37
    Options
    It happened again while walking into college, I dont want to see a doc, maybe a chiropractor will fix it
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Dr. or Chiropractor but go... you're neck is no joke. Hope you get to feeling better!
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It happened again while walking into college, I dont want to see a doc, maybe a chiropractor will fix it
    A chiro is a doctor. GO! NOW!!!
  • jimmmer
    Options

Why on earth not? Go seek medical assistance you silly young man.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Yes, much better to be diagnosed by strangers on the internet.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Go see someone and make sure you are ok. Then research how to do squats properly. The bar never goes on the back of your neck no matter how much weight is on it. Take care of yourself.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Yes, much better to be diagnosed by strangers on the internet.

Well, to be fair, random strangers on the internet > WebMD.
    To the OP: go to a doctor! Then read up a bit on proper bar placement during a squat.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Or start with the Student Health Center... but you should get medical attention, stat. And don't mess with heavy weights again until you're fully healed and you've read up enough to know what you're doing. Weightlifting is very safe if you do it with proper form and know your limits.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I want to add something... we're not all beating up on you here. We're just concerned for your safety. A neck injury is not something to take lightly. Looking at your post history, I get that it's taken you some courage to start resistance training, that you're starting from a point where even the lightest weight is a challenge, and that you may be a bit shy about getting assistance to do the compound lifts properly.

Given all this, SL or SS may not be a great starting point for you... You might do well to begin with a body weight training program like Convict Conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym. Or this beginning program from Nerd Fitness.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Body weight programs are a great place to start because they're so scalable and they don't require extra equipment. This means you can do them pretty much anywhere and there's less stuff to worry about, so you can concentrate on your form. That helps when you start adding weight later.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Why on earth not? Go seek medical assistance you silly young man.
    If there's something wrong with your neck, you don't want someone who's just going to crack your knuckles, you need someone who can diagnose and treat the problem.
  • Kevindgolden
    Options
    LOL... your killing me Kid! At least you were smart and started out with no weight on the bar! A lot of kids load up as much as possible and get one horrible formed rep out of it and walk around staring at themselves in the mirror. If this does not get better do yourself a favor and SEE A DOCTOR! you are young..you don't want to injure yourself further. you can go onto bodybuilding.com website and watch little videos that explain how to perform most strength training exorcises. Its pretty cool. and then you can go into Gym and practice form with real light weight like you tried. Better to do exorcise with proper form and light weight than to load up with heavy weight.... who cares what the meat-heads think! you will find that most people in the gym are pretty helpful and cool.
  • KaleDOG
    KaleDOG Posts: 37
    Options
    Sorry I haven't posted updates :(

I did see the doctor on campus, The kind doctor explained to me that I strained a neck muscle. Which she recommended that I rest for a month and take ibuprofen if the pain spikes again.

Thank you for your advice everyone :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I did see the doctor on campus, The kind doctor explained to me that I strained a neck muscle. Which she recommended that I rest for a month and take ibuprofen if the pain spikes again.

I'm just glad you didn't have a herniated disc. :flowerforyou:
  • jimmmer
    Options

I'm just glad you didn't have a herniated disc. :flowerforyou:

Agreed.

Glad you went to a doctor, kid. Now, go and get a copy of Starting Strength and do it the right way!