how to plan for backpacking trip away from the gym?

Options
hey everyone! just posting because i'm leaving for a 10 day trip, half of which will be backpacking in utah in 90-100 degree weather. i'm a weightlifter, currently on my first cut after my first bulk, so i'm concerned about having to take a break from lifting.

i leave on thursday, so i plan to go to the gym that morning & i hope to be able to use a friend's gym one day on the weekend, but after that, i will most likely be missing 3 workouts, though i will be hiking several miles every day for 5 days.

i worked really hard on my bulk & don't want to see it go to waste - any tips on how i can make sure to retain my muscle during this time away from the gym?

thanks!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    You can still do body weight exercises to keep the muscles "activated". 10 days isn't really a long enough time to lose any appreciable gains made.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mselihar
    mselihar Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    BW plus a resistance band - will only add a few oz of weight and give you lots of versatility.

Make sure you are getting the extra calories to counteract your backpacking burn - which will be high.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds bizzare/corney but when I can't get to a gym I use charles atlas dynamic tension
    it really works when you can't get to a gym or have access to weights
    you can learn the movies on youtube or diagrams online
    you can also use those rubberband cord things they work great for toning.
    these two things will keep you for 10 days.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Have your friends load up your backpack with all the stuff they don't want to carry.

When you're out, you'll see rocks, logs, etc. Lift em up and put em down once you get camp set up. If you see some good cliffs, go bouldering.

You'll be fine, don't overthink it.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    hey everyone! just posting because i'm leaving for a 10 day trip, half of which will be backpacking in utah in 90-100 degree weather. i'm a weightlifter, currently on my first cut after my first bulk, so i'm concerned about having to take a break from lifting.

i leave on thursday, so i plan to go to the gym that morning & i hope to be able to use a friend's gym one day on the weekend, but after that, i will most likely be missing 3 workouts, though i will be hiking several miles every day for 5 days.

i worked really hard on my bulk & don't want to see it go to waste - any tips on how i can make sure to retain my muscle during this time away from the gym?

thanks!

I travel quite frequently and use whatever is on hand for workouts at times -- including lifting my suitcase, doing decline pushups on hills, and pull-ups on tree branches. There will be plenty for you to do to continue lifting if you are ok foregoing a traditional gym environment for those 10 days.

Here's a decent article about overcoming a similar travel/workout challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/25/how-to-stay-in-shape-while-traveling/
  • jadebuilding
    jadebuilding Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Here's a decent article about overcoming a similar travel/workout challenge: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/25/how-to-stay-in-shape-while-traveling/

great article, thank you so much!

i'm foreseeing lots of pushups & planking in my future :)
    Have your friends load up your backpack with all the stuff they don't want to carry.

When you're out, you'll see rocks, logs, etc. Lift em up and put em down once you get camp set up. If you see some good cliffs, go bouldering.
    good ideas, thank you!!! i sort of did something similar on a day when i was rock hunting for obsidian - i just made sure i hauled around a load of heavy rocks!