Looking for other moms in similar situation.

Options
I am looking for friends that have lost or are in the process of losing 50 + pounds to join me on my journey. I am a working mother of six, happily married and a stress eater. Next year I will turn forty and I know I need to get healthy so I will be around a long time for my kids and someday grandkids. I actually love to exercise but my last pregnancy went very badly (no more kids :) and I have gained a lot of weight. I want to reclaim my health back and get my stress eating under control. I am starting from couch to 5K today and off work until mid August. I am hoping to lose 105 lbs total.

Replies

• 8Nuya8
    8Nuya8 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am new as well. I gave birth to my first child on 27th of march this year and I gained lots of weight during the pregnancy.
    I am 25 years old and I want to change my lifestyle towards a more healthy diet and more physically active every day routine.
    In this community I am looking for people with similar goals for mutual support.
    I want to loose 23kg (not sure how much that is in Ib I think a bit more than double something around 50-60Ib? Not sure I will try and find a converter since almost everyone in this community seems to be using the non-metric system.)
    You really have many children. :) did you always know you wanted many kids?
  • JenniferRHughes
    JenniferRHughes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did not think I would have this many but I always new I wanted a big family. I was married for 16 years (My first four were from that marriage). I remarried and have two now with my husband and he had a son as well. So we are up to seven all together. I teach high school during the school year, so kids are kind of my thing :) The weight makes me feel bad though. I do so much and yet i feel like a failure because of this. I want to change that and have more self-esteem. I am actually starting couch to 5 K today and planning on running a 5K on August 23rd..its called the glow run :)
  • hopingtoloseweightthistime
    Options
    Hi! I also gained a lot of weight during pregnancy. I have 3 kids. In my opinion, if you can raise 6 kids then losing weight will be easy in comapison :) I have 3 kids and that is challenging enough. I gained about 50 pounds during my last pregnancy about 3 years ago. I lost of bit since then but still had about 44 pounds to lose when I started the couch to 5 k program a year ago.
    It is a great decision and its an amazing program. When I started it I could hardly run for 1 minute. Today, I am still not very fast but I can run for an hour. Since I started the c35k program I lost about 22 pounds. I also eat as a result of stress and that made it a little more difficult BUT running has really helped. In the beginning you dont lose as much as I expected to lose from running BUT running is great for stress which makes you want to eat less. Also, it makes you feel good about yourself and then I find that I dont want to eat as much.
    The fitter I have become the more healthy my food choices have become. The more I run the less motivation I need. It seems to come more naturally which is something that never happened before. I still binge on chocolate more often than I should but it happens a lot less today than it did in the past.
    The one thing that I wish someone had told me when I started is that it is 95% food and 5% exercise. When I started the c25k I thought that now that I was running I could eat a lot more. In the beginning you don't burn off that much so make sure that you don't overcompensate for your running. I started running because everyone that I knew lost so much weight running but I wish that someone would have given me that advice when I started which is why I decided to join this post. Most of the weight I lost has been since I started using my fitness pal a few months ago. It is an amazing tool to keep track of how much you can eat and how much you can add after sport.
    Another great tool is PACT. It keeps me on track. There are those days when I'm totally stressed and eat way too much. Then I often find it hard to get back on track. PACT helps me do that. I start getting back on track so that I don't have to pay a fine but then it just helps me get back into it and reminds me how much better I feel when I am working out and eating healthy food.
    This has become a LONG post. Good luck and I hope that we can all help each other :)
  • acparks9
    acparks9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm also a working mom, but with only two kids. :smile: I'm 44 years old, have been married for 21 years and my kids are ages 13 and 10. With a career as a research director at an ad agency and a mom, I too struggle with work/life balance and finding time for me.

I'm relatively new to My Fitness Pal and am just now seeking contact within the communities in hope that connecting with people in a similar situation will help keep me accountable and allow me to help others as well. I have another 59 pounds to lose to simply not be overweight anymore and plan for this to take about a year. My initial goal is to lose another 28 pounds to no longer be obese. Both of my parents and just recently my older brother have Type II diabetes, and honestly, losing the weight is the only way I know to reduce my risk for also developing this horrid disease.

I know from my previous behavior, though, that I will need to continue to track and stay connected to keep the weight off. Feel free to add me as a friend!

Amanda

68227910.png
  • Bananafish06
    Bananafish06 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm a mom of 2 who is needing to lose somewhere around 50 lbs. I actually did manage to lose most of the weight after my last pregnancy, but then over the past couple of years between a thyroid condition and a tendency toward emotional eating I gained everything back. I weigh more now than I did at 9 months pregnant and I have had people congratulate me on my "baby bump":frown: Anyway, in addition to being overweight I'm also very out of shape (I've been alternating C25K jogging and 30 Day Shred about 5x a week and it's KILLING me). I think that even more than losing weight I really want to have energy to be active with my kids. I'm not on any special diet, but I'm hoping that just clean eating, portion control, and exercise will be enough.
  • JenniferRHughes
    Options
    What is pact?
  • Alliern45
    Alliern45 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Would love to join in for the support as well. I am a FT working mom (work as an Oncology Nurse) of two teens. Almost 13 and 15.5. I never had a weight issue until my second child ,was born. After him I kept on about 30 unwanted pounds...then 5 and 8 years ago respectively, I lost both of my parents rather tragically and packed on 40 more....UGH. I am 46. Married 21 years to a fit and athletic man. Both of my kids are athletic, active and trim. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I recommitted to MFP and C25k when I had to go on a beta blocker for my BP last month. I also struggle with general anxiety....YES. I am a HOT MESS! LOL! Let's support each other!
    Allie
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a mum of three, currently on maternity leave. My youngest is 8 weeks old. I'm a teacher (secondary school French) and will be back at work in March. My other two kids are 5 and 3.

I lost 66lbs after my 2nd child, making me the thinnest I'd been in a long time. I exercised and logged through pregnancy but still gained :(. I reckon I have around 30lbs to lose.

I've been back at the gym for 2 weeks now and seriously logging for 5 weeks. I'm really impatient and want this weight gone now!
  • deborah6300
    Options
    you can add me..I am a mom to 5 and raising my16 yr nephew with autism and a grandmother of four. I need to lose 60 pounds or so I am 5 ft.tall and 200 pounds:smile:
  • deborah6300
    Options
    you can add me..I am a mom to 5 and raising my16 yr nephew with autism and a grandmother of four. I need to lose 60 pounds or so I am 5 ft.tall and 200 pounds :smile:
  • deborah6300
    Options
    you can add me..I am a mom to 5 and raising my16 yr nephew with autism and a grandmother of four. I need to lose 60 pounds or so I am 5 ft.tall and 200 pounds.
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to friend me, too. I am mom to 4 boys (ages 3, 5, 7 and 9) and will also turn 40 next year. My goal is to get as fabulous as I can by 40. I know it's hard to fit in all you have to do in the day and still find time to exercise or even care how healthy your meal is. We could help each other! :flowerforyou:
  • gottigirl4life
    Options
    HI there,

I'm fairly new here too, I'm a mom to 2, and have gained my share of weight over the years. My daughter (who is almost 9) was a twin (that I lost very early) but my body continued to act as if I was carrying twins. My daughter was 11 lbs 2 oz and 23 1/2 inches long. Anyone who has had children can do the math on how much weight I gained, when I left the hospital at my pre-pregnancy weight. I am 43, and want to lose about another 40 lbs. I've already lost 50, on my own, over the last 5 1/2 years since I met my husband.

Feel free to send me a request, or message if you want to connect :):flowerforyou:
  • gottigirl4life
    Options
    Hi there,
    I am new as well. I gave birth to my first child on 27th of march this year and I gained lots of weight during the pregnancy.
    I am 25 years old and I want to change my lifestyle towards a more healthy diet and more physically active every day routine.
    In this community I am looking for people with similar goals for mutual support.
    I want to loose 23kg (not sure how much that is in Ib I think a bit more than double something around 50-60Ib? Not sure I will try and find a converter since almost everyone in this community seems to be using the non-metric system.)
    You really have many children. :) did you always know you wanted many kids?

There are 2.2 lbs (roughly) in a Kg :)
  • kellyk0425
    kellyk0425 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm a single mom of a beautiful and energetic 5yr old girl. My moment was when I said I was too tired to play and she looked at me with such disappointment and said "again!!!!" That broke my heart. I've struggled with weight every since I was in high school. Now my marriage of 13yrs has come to an end. I'm ready for a new beginning. I would like to be apart of this support system. It's only been a month and I'm doing well but I sometimes feel discouraged because I'm not losing the inches I want. I can't wait to be apart of these great people.
    WE CAN DO IT!!!!!!!
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey! I have two little ones and about 70 pounds to go (90 total). In am also training for my first 5k! Welcome!
  • JenniferRHughes
    Options
    You all seem wonderful! Feel free to add me if I left someone out. I also started a 5K newbie board if any of you want to join. :)

-J
  • itsgottaburn
    Options
    I am a working full-time mom with a blended family of six. It's a revolving door at our house but when we have all six, I make poor choices and I'm also a stress eater.
    I'm turning 40 in October and it's time to be fit and stay fit!
  • laura2813
    laura2813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ....YES. I am a HOT MESS! LOL! Let's support each other!
    Allie

Allie,

I don't see you as a hot mess..... you've been thru a lot. I'm 48 with 3 children and between my children and my family I've been to hell and back. It get's better & support is AWESOME!!! I don't know what I would have done without great friends to support me.

Good luck!

Laura