A bit down..

Options
I know it's dumb to feel down when you know better. But I'm just starting out on my life change. (I don't like the word diet, it implies it's not permanent to me) I've been very good, doing whatever swimming I could handle (about 20 minutes) and eating under my caloric budget. Also avoiding bad calories as much as I could, portioning out my "meals" (I eat about eight times a day, tiny portions, but consistent) and drinking about 75oz of lemon/orange infused water a day.

It's only been four days, but I -gained- a fourth of a pound. I kinda freaked out, because.. well what could I be doing wrong? I even researched the right types of foods, oils, vegetables and nuts. I'm totally cutting out red meat and bad fat meats. (eating mostly chicken and fish, and almonds, pine nuts and eggs) And almost everything I cook has kale in it. It makes me feel full and it expands the dish a bit with a ton of nutrients I need.

Then I read that the first two weeks of your new life will leave you gaining weight due to your body basically screaming "CRAP!" and going into protective overdrive. That I wouldn't see any results really until my body regulated itself to the new lifestyle (in two weeks or so).

So I do know better. But still, being fat the majority of my life has left me feeling being thin is beyond me. Impossible. I can't do that. I want to loose as much healthy weight as I can before December, and I have to stay motivated. This needs to be a life change to me, not just a temporary quick fix. So whatever happens, I'm staying this way. I like waking up feeling alive and alert. When I was drinking soda and eating fast food, I'd wake up insanely lethargic and groggy, and pretty depressed.

I could use some words of encouragement. :< I want to be thinner, and I'm only 32. And there's nothing really wrong with me aside obesity. So there's absolutely no reason why I can't shave off some weight.. right?

Replies

• ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    You just need to remember one thing, did it take you 2 weeks to get to the state you are in? Of course not! Weight loss takes time, which isn't a very popular idea. Sustainable, longterm weight loss comes with time and patiences. You will achieve your goals, just keep applying yourself. Feel free to friend me if you want some support :flowerforyou:
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    It's only been four days, but I -gained- a fourth of a pound

I only got this far and stopped reading to be honest. (sorry to be harsh)

You didn't "gain" a fourth of a pound, that is probably just a pee. Your body weight changes +/-5lb on any given day and the only way to measure weight loss is over time - 3 months is a good start.

Try not to obsess about tiny numbers - you say you don't want a 'diet' but a lifestyle change - so act like it. Measure your progress over time and with a long term health goal, not a number on the scale or picture from a magazine
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I know it's dumb to feel down when you know better. But I'm just starting out on my life change. (I don't like the word diet, it implies it's not permanent to me) I've been very good, doing whatever swimming I could handle (about 20 minutes) and eating under my caloric budget. Also avoiding bad calories as much as I could, portioning out my "meals" (I eat about eight times a day, tiny portions, but consistent) and drinking about 75oz of lemon/orange infused water a day.

It's only been four days, but I -gained- a fourth of a pound. I kinda freaked out, because.. well what could I be doing wrong? I even researched the right types of foods, oils, vegetables and nuts. I'm totally cutting out red meat and bad fat meats. (eating mostly chicken and fish, and almonds, pine nuts and eggs) And almost everything I cook has kale in it. It makes me feel full and it expands the dish a bit with a ton of nutrients I need.

Then I read that the first two weeks of your new life will leave you gaining weight due to your body basically screaming "CRAP!" and going into protective overdrive. That I wouldn't see any results really until my body regulated itself to the new lifestyle (in two weeks or so).

So I do know better. But still, being fat the majority of my life has left me feeling being thin is beyond me. Impossible. I can't do that. I want to loose as much healthy weight as I can before December, and I have to stay motivated. This needs to be a life change to me, not just a temporary quick fix. So whatever happens, I'm staying this way. I like waking up feeling alive and alert. When I was drinking soda and eating fast food, I'd wake up insanely lethargic and groggy, and pretty depressed.

I could use some words of encouragement. :< I want to be thinner, and I'm only 32. And there's nothing really wrong with me aside obesity. So there's absolutely no reason why I can't shave off some weight.. right?

Well starving it off isn't going to work, well actually you will lose weight but it will come back and find you and most likely bring friends with... the best is to limit calories and exercise and you're doing that. Some people lose weight fast and I'm like holy cow I'm doing the same darn thing but mine comes off ......s l o w l y..... I got really depressed over it and then I decided to not give up on me and slowly is better than not at all plus I know if I am eating right and exercising I'm making this body healthy and sooner or later it will start looking good on the outside too...

Keep eating right and exercising, I try to do something even if it's just stretching every day so I don't get lazy... just hang in there!
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi you are not alone iv been dieting for the last 30+ years and still not happy trying to lose last few pounds is a night mare up down up down really gets me down so I take one day at a time trying to be good its not easy . Keeping positive. Feel free to add me
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Keep going; you are on the right track. Eat rationally, move more, have patience!

This is my mantra.

Even when the irrational side of my brain takes over (Ahem, that one week a month when no matter what I do I will NOT lose any weight. At all.). If in 2-3 weeks you are still in the same boat, then look to changing something. In the mean time, let your rational brain rule (your rational brain is going through the following check list: hormones? extra sodium/water (a pint of water is a pound all the world round -- that means you drink 2 cups of water and you gain a pound... have you peed lately?)? #2? --- All those things will cause the scale to make you CRAZY mad)!!!

Best wishes! (remind me to read this again in 3 weeks, I'll need it! hahahaha!)
  • achaiadust
    achaiadust Posts: 17
    Options
    @ellij It's easier to take in information when you're not getting slapped in the face with it. But I understand what you're saying. This is all new to me, so please, I'm asking you to be a little more patient than that.

Thank you for the information though. I do appreciate it.
  • achaiadust
    Options
    Keep going; you are on the right track. Eat rationally, move more, have patience!

This is my mantra.

Even when the irrational side of my brain takes over (Ahem, that one week a month when no matter what I do I will NOT lose any weight. At all.). If in 2-3 weeks you are still in the same boat, then look to changing something. In the mean time, let your rational brain rule (your rational brain is going through the following check list: hormones? extra sodium/water (a pint of water is a pound all the world round -- that means you drink 2 cups of water and you gain a pound... have you peed lately?)? #2? --- All those things will cause the scale to make you CRAZY mad)!!!

Best wishes! (remind me to read this again in 3 weeks, I'll need it! hahahaha!)

Yeah I get that irrational brain part. It's gnawing at me constantly. But I'm glad I'm not the only one. :) Thank you! I'll keep all of that in mind. I tend to worry about -everything-, so this is sound advice.
  • achaiadust
    Options
    Hi you are not alone iv been dieting for the last 30+ years and still not happy trying to lose last few pounds is a night mare up down up down really gets me down so I take one day at a time trying to be good its not easy . Keeping positive. Feel free to add me

Well thank you ^_^ I'm looking for new friends. :) Accountability and motivation I think are the things that'll keep me on track. So the more the merrier!