Force Feed?

Options
agartin
agartin Posts: 274 Member
I try to eat breakfast 1 to 1.5 hours before hitting the gym. My breakfast is usually below 300 calories.

After the gym, I am NEVER hungry and would likely go until near dinner time without eating if I didn't think about it. Now it's past two and all I've had is breakfast.. and already gotten a workout in. I have no idea what to eat and on top of that, I'm not hungry but I know I need to. This is very different for me because I used to over eat all the time and did little to NO activity. A complete couch potato.

Any advice on what I can do to help this? Do I need to force feed myself? I know I need to consume the calories...

Replies

• MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I try to eat breakfast 1 to 1.5 hours before hitting the gym. My breakfast is usually below 300 calories.

After the gym, I am NEVER hungry and would likely go until near dinner time without eating if I didn't think about it. Now it's past two and all I've had is breakfast.. and already gotten a workout in. I have no idea what to eat and on top of that, I'm not hungry but I know I need to. This is very different for me because I used to over eat all the time and did little to NO activity. A complete couch potato.

Any advice on what I can do to help this? Do I need to force feed myself? I know I need to consume the calories...

Maybe try having some chocolate milk. It's a great post-workout bevvie and won't fill you up too much, but will give your body some good nutrients.
  • lisay9
    lisay9 Posts: 18
    Options
    Depends on how long you have been feeling like this.
    Some weeks I am starving whilst I am working out, other weeks I hardly eat anything in the hours following.
    Just do what your body is telling you.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Skim Chocolate Milk is my go to also, It's great for after a workout when I want to shower and make dinner before I actually eat anything (I workout in the evenings).
  • traceytoo
    traceytoo Posts: 163
    Options
    I agree, maybe some protein shakes, will help your body repair after your work out give it the nutrients it needs and you won't feel like you are force feeding yourself, it's what I used to do, exercise can sometime make you feel less hungry .. give it a try
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options

Maybe try having some chocolate milk. It's a great post-workout bevvie and won't fill you up too much, but will give your body some good nutrients.

Mmmmmm! Agreed.

I'm the opposite. I have to force myself to eat dinner - even after a work out. I like to have a glass of chocolate or skim milk and raw veggies/salad, string cheese or cereal just for energy, not usually for hunger.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You do need to eat! But maybe you could drink SOME of your calories. That's easy to do! Eat things like almonds, avocados, etc.!
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Try eating something that is low-bulk but nutrient dense. I used to have this same problem, and it took me some time to get my body used to eating more frequently than it used to. I used to eat about six ounces of greek yogurt with some fruit or granola for lunch all the time when I was getting used to the new food schedule-- it wasn't as bulky-feeling as most lunch options.
  • jodygard
    Options
    I was feeling like that too! but the great thing about tracking your food is you can go back & see how you felt on days that you did or didn't eat lots. I found that I was eating a lot of very low calorie things & needed to bulk up on some things (for example - throw a chicken breast on my salad or try a fibre 1 bar). also, shakes are a great way to get your calories & nutrients ... if you can stand the taste
  • jatbe
    jatbe Posts: 18
    Options
    I have the same problem............I don't get hungry so I don't think about eating. To top that off, I have an underactive thyroid for which I take medication so I have crappy metabolism in the first place. I do now eat breakfast when I get to work and usually force myself to eat something mid afternoon before I go to the gym on the way home from work. Although, I have been tryingt o get away from my desk around lunch time for a bit and then I will eat something.
    The other issue is that after I workout- I'm not hungry either. So again, I have to force myself to eat to at least get somewhat close to my calorie goal for the day. ...... and who wants to eat a buch of stuff before bed.
    Some days are better than others, but weekends seem worse since I have a much more flexible schedule and don't think to eat. One of my goals for 2011 is to TRY to eat at least 3 regular meals a day if possible to get in a routine......... maybe then I'll get hungry once in a while once I have an established routine.
    Good luck.
  • agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, ladies.

I only drink fat free milk, is that ok?

And I don't have any chocolate, but I have Carnation Breakfast Essentials no sugar added rich chocolate and I also have Jillian Michael's triple chocolate protein shake.

Would these work?

Maybe if I mixed the two?
  • Loribell23
    Options
    Drinking a Protein Shake would be perfect!