In need of a little encouragement

Options
I am just starting with myfitnesspal but not new to trying to lose weight. I have been trying to lose weight since February. I messed around with stupid crash diets (the military diet) that of course worked at first but now I have gained back the weight plus some. I was at around 137 pounds when I started trying to lose weight. After crash dieting I got down to about 133. I did the military diet four times and each time would drop down to 133 pounds and then get back up to 135/136 when off the diet. Now I have been off the diet for two months and am at 144 pounds, even after running 2/3 miles a day, 6 days a week and trying to watch what I eat. I decided to try the app and got it is my second day. I just am wondering if using the app and jogging 2 miles a day/5 days a week should help me. The app has me eating 1200 calories a day in order to lose 1.5 pounds a week. Will this actually work and be something worth sticking with?? Help!!!

Replies

• RunTheMountain
    Options
    I think it works! Mine has me eating 1700 calories a day to loose 2 lbs a week.

You can do it!
  • langlinaisemily
    Options
    How long have you used the app? What is your exercise routine like? And lastly, have you lost any weight??
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have lost 13 lbs in the last 150 days on the app. I am at the tail end of how much I want to lose but I think the app has been a great tool. Which I found it sooner. I also have it set to 1200 but rarely eat that. I exercise and eat bad a chunk of my workout calories... Average 1350 to 1800 calories a day of food eaten. You can check out my open diary if you want. Again I LOVE the app!

Hope it works for you.
  • langlinaisemily
    Options
    Thank you! What is your exercise plan like?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    "Trying to watch what you eat" is not going to cut it, I'm sorry to say. That's like saying "I try to keep my eyes on the road while driving in heavy traffic.". Well, ARE you, or AREN'T you? Sorry to go all Yoda on you, but there is no try. Do it or don't. If you are not keeping accurate tabs on your eating, how in the heck are you ever going to know for certain that you are eating at a deficit?

You could be spinning your wheels for MONTHS, "trying to watch what you eat", and still be gaining weight because you are simply eating more calories than your body is burning off.

Start tracking your food. Honestly, consistently, and accurately. 1200 calories is most likely not the right number for you to be eating. Find your TDEE,: go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.
    You'll lose weight. Your body will have no choice if you do it right, and trust the system. :flowerforyou:
  • langlinaisemily
    Options
    So should I not follow what this app is telling me to do?
  • RunTheMountain
    Options
    I've been using the app for about a month. I don't weigh myself often. Last time I did I lost 12 pounds. Now it's probably around 20. I lost much more than the app predicted. But, I also weigh more than you, and I am a male, so it's different.

My exercise routine consists of running, 2-6 miles, 2-3 times a week and lifting weights. But, for the past couple weeks I haven't exercised and I'm still dropping lbs just by watching what I eat.

It's a very simple idea. Just eat the right foods in the right portions and your body will use it all for energy and won't store it as fat. I think the main thing is TIME. Wait for results before you judge if it works.

"It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world." -I've seen this quote on the web.
  • langlinaisemily
    Options
    RunTheMountain - Thanks! Can't wait to see what time brings
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    With such a small amount to lose, aiming for 1.5 a week may be too aggressive and that's why your calorie goal is 1200. You should be aiming to lose .5 pounds a week.

ETA this link for you to read...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • langlinaisemily
    Options
    Thank you! I will bump down to 1 pound a week, see how that goes then gradually change to .5 a week
  • ujineekim
    ujineekim Posts: 1
    Options
    You can do it! It's a battle with your mind. Control your mind and you will control your body.