Happy days! I am now only OVERWEIGHT!

Options
Hanfordrose
Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
That probably doesn't sound much like a SUCCESS, but it is more like a miracle.

An MFP friend pointed out something important to me today. She said, "You're NOT obese. You're overweight." Huh?!!! It had something to do with that BMI stuff.

When my surgeon calculated my BMI in 2012, those letters meant nothing to me. I was used to being told that I was "morbidly obese", according to the medical charts on doctor's office wall.

MORBIDLY OBESE...Hmm? That term says the obvious...so fat that I was inviting death to take me at any moment. :noway:

This 5' 4" old lady was pushing 290 pounds. "Pushing" was the right word, because I was now confined to life in a wheelchair. My destroyed knees could not longer support my weight.

In 2012, my BMI was 48.9, a number that even went beyond the words morbidly obese. Most of the charts don't show the BMI for someone that is that heavy and that short. They all stopped at 250 pounds. The doctor had to use his calculator (not the printed sheet on the wall) to get my real BMI.

Today, I decided to calculate my current BMI using an online program. I was amazed to find out that I am now at a BMI of 27.8 and no longer can be called 'obese'...let alone 'morbidly obese'. My weight of 162 pounds is now on doctor's charts and at the low end of the 'overweight' category. :happy:

What is even more amazing would be the fact that I am getting so close to the HEALTHY WEIGHT classification. I can't remember a time, when my doctors didn't tell me that I was overweight.

This was only possible, because I made the commitment to MFP and logging in my food each day. With the encouragement and inspiration of great friends, I am becoming a new, HEALTHY woman at the ripe age of 69.

Thank you all, MFP friends. :flowerforyou:

Now, I am wondering..."Should I change my ticker goal to 140 pounds?" That is the number on the chart at the top of the 'Healthy Weight' category. Even if I only get there for a day, it would be nice to show that number to my faithful doctor who has seen me through this long journey, first to new knees and now to a better life.

Right now, my ticker goal is 145 pounds, which leaves me at the bottom of the 'Overweight' column. Hmm? Should I do it, friends? Should I push for those extra 5 pounds of weight loss?

Replies

• 3BabyBlues
    3BabyBlues Posts: 24
    Options
    That is wonderful!!! Congratz
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sue that is wonderful! So happy for you my friend! Keep up the great job and inspiration!
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Good job! I'll be so exited when I can celebrate just being overweight, not obese. :) Keep up the good work!!
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • st0rmagedd0n
    st0rmagedd0n Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I'd definitely call that one hell of a success!!
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You've done an amazing job, and we're all so proud of you!
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Go for it, Sue, with your determination it would be such a great day for you, and your good doctor, not to mention special Ed. And having got down there, think of the new wardrobe you can buy. You are so disciplined, you will be able to do it, but knowing that you can get down to a 'healthy' weight, will enable you to go on to maintenance with confidence. And what an example to others - you will be down to less than half the woman you were, but have grown enormously in stature through your huge achievement.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Ronij59
    Ronij59 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Go for it Sue! You have come this far. Why not see if you can make it to the 140lbs mark. You know how far you have come is amazing as it is.
  • Confidently
    Confidently Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Go for it!!! You can do it :):flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Amazing congrats! And I totally don't think it's silly to be excited about that. I'm also 5'4" and I remember recalculating every time I lost a pound. Finally, at the beginning of June, I slipped down to 'Overweight' as well! I was SO excited! I realize I didn't come as far as you, so I can only imagine how elated that feeling was for you :heart:

Edit: My goal is 140lbs. I think that's a nice weight for ladies of our height :) And I'm sure you can get there!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed reading your posts and keeping somewhat up-to-date with you. You have done a FANTASTIC job.

And, YES!! Change the ticker. As you said, even if you get there for JUST ONE DAY, you would have done it. And you have done MUCH MORE than most 69 year olds!!

:-) :flowerforyou:
  • angawilson
    angawilson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Congratulations..... I love you post..... move the ticker you can do it..........
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I read your profile. You are amazing! A true testament of what sheer willpower can do!
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! And I say GO FOR IT!!! I have 3 more pounds to go before I get to be officially overweight, LOL.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Fabulous achievement! I think you can get to 140, if that's what you decide you want to do. The knees will keep getting better over time!
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful success story. Congrats to you and your new quality of life :) I think if you are happy at 145 then that is where you should be but I do not see anything wrong with trying to get down that extra 5 ;)
  • empireman85
    empireman85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Being overweight is awesome!

I hope to join you in about three months.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Okay, Friends.

I did it! I changed my ticker goal to 140 pounds. That is only 22 pounds away. Lord, help me. :happy:
  • PennyHartz
    PennyHartz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Okay, Friends.

I did it! I changed my ticker goal to 140 pounds. That is only 22 pounds away. Lord, help me. :happy:
    Awesome! I think at this point, you owe it to yourself to see how you feel at a "healthy" weight. I've only got about 11 more pounds until I go from obese to overweight, and I'm so excited! Thanks for the inspiration!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Okay, Friends.

That means you'll have lost half your starting weight. You'll have shed an entire person! How cool is that!? BTW, I love reading your blog.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!