I have hit a plateau and I think I am doing it all wrong...

Options
So far I have lost roughly 20 lbs with mfp since the beginning of May and I have hit my first plateau. I workout between 4-6 days a week, doing cardio and weight lifting and I consume about 1,000 cals before exercise...I think that is where I am going wrong, but advice would be great!!! I want to break through this plateau and, while I DO see my body changing and inches lost, I want to see those numbers go down!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary and giving us some stats (height, weight, age, etc.) would be a really big help to anyone trying to give advice.
  • mondak757
    mondak757 Posts: 6
    Options
    Shoot sorry yea that might be helpful...I am 25, 5'6" and weigh 245 currently.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You may find this helpful:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Stick through it and you'll find yourself losing again soon.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    20 lbs. in 9 weeks is huge. Where is the plateau?
  • Kazzam33
    Kazzam33 Posts: 210
    Options
    1000 cals is low. I eat around 1200-1300 on my non-exercise days & 1300-1600 on exercise days.
    I also agree that 20lbs in 9 weeks is awesome. I'm not sure I would be stressing if I were you. :smile:
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    1000 calories before exercise? So even if you only burn 200 calories your net is like 800 calories? That's way too low, you're poor body is probably holding onto every tiny thing you put in your mouth now :( Boost up to 1400-1600 calories, stick with the exercise
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    How long have you actually gone without losing weight? It's normal to go a week or two without dropping pounds or even going up a few. One reason for this can be water retention (due to sodium, increased/new exercise, TOM...), but there are a lot of things that can cause it. A plateau is a long period without losing weight, not just a few weeks. It doesn't mean you've stopped. If you've lost 20lbs since May, I doubt you've truly hit one. Don't stress! Just be patient! The weight will come off. If a month from now you still haven't budged, then it's time to reevaluate.

Now, pretty much unrelated to the plateau thing, I think your calories are way too low. I am your exact height and age and started at 254. I've lost 68lbs so far, and I've never had to net (not eat, NET) below 1,500. In fact, that was my net when I was your weight and the pounds were falling off me (although, yes, I did go a few weeks here and there with no loss). In fact, I'm netting almost 1,800 now and still losing a pound a week now, even closer to my goal. I have yet to hit a true plateau. I'd recommend taking a good look at your intake. Make sure you're fueling your body with enough calories. If you don't, your workouts and your health WILL begin to suffer, as will your state of mind. It's easy to burn out with weightloss. Give yourself the best chance at success you can.
  • mondak757
    mondak757 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have gone about two weeks without dropping. I will try increasing my cals. I thought that was the problem, but I am so new to working out and learning about nutrition and just decided to get healthy and got tired of feeling like crap all the time.