Food Steamer

Options
Amanda42657
Amanda42657 Posts: 45 Member
I got a awesome food steamer for Christmas (its the food network one from kohl's), I have used it several times for broccoli and cauliflower. I was just wondering if anyone out there uses a steamer and if so what do you make in it? The book says you can cook chicken, fish, fruits and all kinds of stuff just doesnt really tell you how. Also what do you use to season your veggies that are cooked in a steamer? One more thing, how about rice? It came with a rice bowl, any tips on cooking rice in a steamer (do you put water in the rice bowl with the rice, could I use chicken broth)? Sorry so many questions it is just such a neat and easy little thing and I am dying to know how to do more with it.

Thanks

Replies

• CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Wow, I completely forgot about my steamer! I need to bust that bad boy out! I loved steamed veggies.

Anyway, I've made chicken, shrimp, fish, veggies, etc. Sometimes I season, sometimes I don't. The seasoning makes it a little harder to clean, is all.
  • Amanda42657
    Options
    Wow, I completely forgot about my steamer! I need to bust that bad boy out! I loved steamed veggies.

Anyway, I've made chicken, shrimp, fish, veggies, etc. Sometimes I season, sometimes I don't. The seasoning makes it a little harder to clean, is all.

If you dont mind sharing, how do you make chicken shrim fish etc in the steamer? I was actually wondering if I wanted to season them after they were cooked what do people use? I have just been using a little salt and pepper and some low fat parm cheese but thought there may be other things that I could do to change it up a little. Thank you.
  • sarahanne40
    sarahanne40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I dont have one right now, but when I did I used all the tiers (assuming its an electric stacker one) and tended to have fish one one, veg on another and new potatoes on another - just remember that the higher tier do drop onto the lower ones (so i put fish in a plastic container - to stop everything else having fish juice dropped on!). I never tried rice though, but the instruction manual with my one had a load of recipes too :)
  • debbond64
    debbond64 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Season the food after you take it out of the steamer. I have a dressing that i use some times but I like my veggies just plain. Some people told me they take apple cider vinegar, stevia, dehydrated onions and garlic with whatever other spices you would like for a zero calorie dressing you make yourself without any fats. Mostly I put my veggies in my steamer.
  • mrogus
    mrogus Posts: 94
    Options
    I have steamed lobster and shrimp in my steamer. Its so easy!!!! We have a rice cooker that has a steamer basket so when I make rice, I'll put the rice and water in and then in the basket put frozen or fresh veggies in and let it go. Works perfectly!!!
  • Amanda42657
    Options
    I have steamed lobster and shrimp in my steamer. Its so easy!!!! We have a rice cooker that has a steamer basket so when I make rice, I'll put the rice and water in and then in the basket put frozen or fresh veggies in and let it go. Works perfectly!!!

can you tell how you did the shrimp? Thanks
  • Amanda42657
    Options
    Bump
  • Amanda42657
    Options
    Think Im going to try some Shrimp this weekend, my steamer says not to put seasoning on the food while it is steaming, did you season the shrimp afterwards?