Apple Cider Vinegar

I saw recently where Apple cider vinegar can aid weight loss. I was thinking of adding a little to a cup of green tea daily and see what happens. Anyone had success with this?

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    It's gross. Back when I believed in all the junk they try to sell you with weight loss I tried it. Compared to after I quit, lost the same amount of weight. Unless it's going on my canned spinach, I pass.

Calories in vs out. Focus on that :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    It never did much for me. I love vinegars, though, so I use it lots. ACV is pretty strong, you might want to not ruin your tea and instead just shoot some with a little water, if needed. The research I've seen has to do with metabolic syndrome so if you have that, it might be worth a try.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    I could see how it might help. I now have come to really enjoy about 1 - 2 tbsp. in a glass of water with a little stevia. I have it throughout the day when I want to eat (they say, if you become 'hungry' it might just be your body wanting/needing some hydration instead).
    It does seem to work in that way for me. My 'hunger' usually subsides and if I remain hungry after several minutes, then I know my body needs something more than hydration.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    It was first touted as the big weight loss miracle in the '70's. Since people are only getting fatter, not thinner, I'd put my money on it not doing a thing.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    If it does anything to aid weight loss, the difference is so small as to not even matter.

That being said, organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar is said to have some benefits for your digestion system. I'm not sure of the science on that claim, but it's at least a little more believable. If you like the taste, then go ahead and have a little each day and see how it helps you.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    I've heard this, too. I don't know if it works. I have used it to ease/prevent IBS symptoms and sore throat. Not sure I'd put it in green tea, as it's really strong. I put a tablespoon in about 8oz water and sometimes put some lemon in, too. Maybe dilute it even more for your first try.

I just joined MFP a few days ago, and also just re-started taking some ACV in water first thing in the morning, since it helps with my tummy troubles. If it has weight loss benefits on top of the tummy soothing benefits, great! I also love it with olive oil for salad dressing.
  • jbates62
    jbates62 Posts: 7 Member
    Never did much for me for weightloss. It was horrible for my acid reflux even though people say it helps. Not a fan but I have friends that swear by it. I think it is hit or miss.
  • naptowngirl4
    naptowngirl4 Posts: 204
    Try equal parts of apple cigar vinegar with honey(2 tbs of each) with an 8 oz glass of water. ( I boil a little water first, pour it on the honey then add the vinegar with cold water.) It tastes like a sweet tart drink & it's super healthy for you. Protects your immune system. My family makes it in a 2 qt container & drink it daily & we rarely get sick. Also, a natural diuretic.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    I like to use it to deglaze pans after frying bacon and carmelizing onions. Cook the ACV down until it gets thicker and sorta syrupy, add it to the crumbled bacon and carmelized onions, and use it as a sauce for just about any green veggie, like asparagus, sugar snap peas, snow peas, green beans, etc. This also works with balsamic or any flavored vinegar.

But drinking it straight? Na. It takes the enamel off your teeth and can cause all sorts of damage to your esophagus. No thanks.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Hmm....the only thing I've heard being touted about apple cider vinegar is it's benefits for hair. Like, if you get that organic shampoo soap, then rinse it with the vinegar, supposed to make your hair all soft (once the smell dissipates).

For a weight loss aid, probably not.
  • LucyBzz
    LucyBzz Posts: 47 Member
    I quite like tart things & can happily down a spoonful or two of apple cider vinegar neat, but I really don't think it has any weightloss benefits other than perhaps waking up your tastebuds a little to help you appreciate the taste & textures of foods a little more & perhaps move you away from that lovely mouthfeel of a perfect fat-sugar or fat-carb combo - think chocolate or pastry or ....

try it if you wish, but don't think it's a miracle cure!!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    It's delicious. I chug a bottle every morning and my gray hairs are gone and my dog stopped pooping in my shoe.
  • VTuominen
    VTuominen Posts: 6
    I cannot vouch for its effects on metabolism, but I use it on my hair and face. I replaced store-bought toners with an ACV/water mixture and my acne scars have been fading faster. And I've been no-poo for 2 months now - just baking soda and ACV on my hair. It truly has never been softer, had more volume, or my curls more tame.

I haven't heard about its affects on metabolism yet and will try for a few weeks. I've accidentally swallowed some while washing my hair before, so at least I'm more used to the taste than many people.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    There are no credible medical studies that prove cider vinegar can help you lose weight. And Dr. Oz pushed it as a detox substance, which is absurd. If Oz promotes something there's a good chance it's nonsense.