is my goal odd?

Options
I am 5"0' and currently 243 lb (down from 250). My goal is to be 135 lb which (surprisingly to me) is still considered overweight for my height.

When I was 150 lb I was close to a size 10 or 12 I think. I'm thinking I will be an 8 when I get down to 135 lb. I've never been much smaller than that I and I don't think I *want* to. Is it weird that I don't want to be skinny skinny? Should I pay attention to BMI and try to get under 25 (which would change my goal weight to 128)?

Replies

• kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I think your goal weight should be something that you can feel comfortable with and maintain. When people look at you, you don't have your weight stamped on your forehead, but they can see confidence.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I say, do what makes you feel good. Get to the current goal and see what you want then. A lot can change and then also who knows, you may be happy.. or you may want to push further.
  • beardedwarriortx
    beardedwarriortx Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If your happy then its a good goal. My goal is to get drunk and run the streets in my birthday suit. All i am saying is goals are good.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If your happy then its a good goal. My goal is to get drunk and run the streets in my birthday suit. All i am saying is goals are good.

OK but now I have a new goal to add, same as yours.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I think your goal weight should be something that you can feel comfortable with and maintain. When people look at you, you don't have your weight stamped on your forehead, but they can see confidence.

This.
  • obrien_tj
    obrien_tj Posts: 1
    Options
    I would strongly urge you to consult with your physician. While your goal is not odd, keep in mind that you should still continue to be healthy. After all, although your weight goal is your business, you do need to keep your overall physical health in mind.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I would strongly urge you to consult with your physician. While your goal is not odd, keep in mind that you should still continue to be healthy. After all, although your weight goal is your business, you do need to keep your overall physical health in mind.
    That's a good point. I've never really had a full physical done. Perhaps now is the time to get one, and then later as my doctor recommends. I know he will be happy I am losing weight!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    You need to choose your goal based upon how you want to look. Not everyone wants to be model-thin. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a little heavier than what the standard charts recommend. What you have in mind for a goal is not an unreasonable weight for your height. If the chart says it is "overweight," so what? The wonderful thing about dieting is that you are in complete control of how much or how little you want to lose. Ideal weight for you is whatever number you choose!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds attainable and healthy, given your pants size at 150lbs. Also, it's okay to not have a "set in stone" goal weight. Heck, I've got a shorter ways to go, and I don't even know what my "goal" weight will be. It might be only 5 lbs away, or 20. Depends on what I see, what my lab results and physical show, etc. I've been at a size 4 once, and it was NOT a healthy look for me. Size 8 looks SMOKIN' (or even a 10 or 12 or more) on a fit body (IMHO). As others' have said--it's all about the confidence and positive attitude.

At any rate, I think you've got some healthy goals in mind, such that an actual number on the scale isn't all that important at this time. :flowerforyou:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You can be 135 and flabby ... 135 and muscular ... or 135 and somewhere in between. Simply setting a weight goal overlooks body fat percentages, lean mass amounts, etc.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options

This.
  • joshbond85
    joshbond85 Posts: 28
    Options
    Get down to a number that satisfies you. Along the way (weekly or so), look in the mirror and ask yourself, "Do I look healthy?" If the answer is no, keep tracking and keep going. If the answer is yes, well, stop looking at the scale and enjoy life.

The number is far less important than how you feel. I'm actually back up 10 lbs from my lowest point, but I would say that I look and feel better than I did before (building lean muscle mass).
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I am 5"0' and currently 243 lb (down from 250). My goal is to be 135 lb which (surprisingly to me) is still considered overweight for my height.

When I was 150 lb I was close to a size 10 or 12 I think. I'm thinking I will be an 8 when I get down to 135 lb. I've never been much smaller than that I and I don't think I *want* to. Is it weird that I don't want to be skinny skinny? Should I pay attention to BMI and try to get under 25 (which would change my goal weight to 128)?

As a dietetics student, we wouldn't say that someone who is overweight is unhealthy. In fact, there are a lot of people who are overweight who are perfectly healthy, and moreso than their "normal weight" counterparts. Its when the person slips into the obese category that we get worried. Basically, yes, I think thats a great goal!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I came up with a goal for myself which was just into the normal category. At a doctors appointment after I started losing weight, my doctor came up with a goal weight for me. Not really sure how she came up with the #, but she did. It was actually 7 lbs higher than what I came up with, and kept me in the overweight category. I do get a full physical every year now and blood work done, all good and healthy with that....still haven't reached the ultimate goal weight she gave me, but I will, some day.
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I agree with so much of what everyone is saying. I think it is great to make a goal that is attainable. You pick it for you. Once you get there you can re-adjust.

I also think getting into the doctor is a wonderful idea and an excellent suggestion. That will tell you all the baseline data so that you will know that your health is improving. I had my cholesterol checked recently and I have lost around 30 pounds and it is 123. I have no idea what it was before but am thrilled where it is now.

I had my original goal set to a healthy BMI and now that I am there I have reset for lower and will see how it goes/feels.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    BMI is definitely not what you should go by. Go with what feels good on you. Good luck!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My goal weight in in healthy range for someone is is 5'6. My goal right now is 140lbs with the ultimate goal weight of 120lbs. I am small framed, and a good weight for me is 120-133lbs. However, once I hit 140lbs, it is less about the number on the scale and more about how I look and feel. At that point I plan on starting to lift and do other activities for health. Honestly, that is how is should be. The scale is great to help you keep up with your body, but it is not an end all be all kind of number. Be happy with yourself!
    Edit to add, some people make small weight goals and change them when they reach that goal too. Once you reach your goal, you can set a new one, be it weight related, lifting, running, etc.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If you are weight training and get some muscles BMI in the most inaccurate thing to say anything about a person. I feel body fat% could be a better goal to have
  • katnewk
    katnewk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No.... you know what wt ur comfortable with... health is the most important ... when u reach ur goal and most important maintain .... 135 is healthier than 150...