Is there such thing as too much!!

Options
Well today i have burned MANY calories! Is there such a thing as burning too many or too much excercise?

Replies

• 135sb
    135sb Posts: 24
    Options
    good question. I would like to know the same thing..Also all my cardio is running/jogging. I get a good workout is it really necessary to do other cardio programs?
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    I just posted something similar to this, but my question was "how much is enough" I burned about 250 calories today doing the shred. Is that enough? Or should I do more? Or is there something as too much? I'm sorry I'm not that helpful, but I would love to see some thoughts on this! Because its all a bit confusing :huh:
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    NOT saying what you burned isn't enough..something is better than nothing. BUT y-day I burned 850 and I didn't feel like I was gonna die, lmao. So I know 500-800 calories burned has to be normal for me.
    I just posted something similar to this, but my question was "how much is enough" I burned about 250 calories today doing the shred. Is that enough? Or should I do more? Or is there something as too much? I'm sorry I'm not that helpful, but I would love to see some thoughts on this! Because its all a bit confusing :huh:
  • Lacigirl11
    Lacigirl11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    well ive burnt over 1000 :s have u ever tried those 5 hr energy drinks? thats wat got me started and now i dont wanna quit but i dunno if i should quit???
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Well JMO and I am NOT a personal trainer OR a nutritionist. JMO...I would distribute my energy else where..maybe not a workout, but go grocery shopping, buy healthy foods and then come home and chop them up. Or clean your house, wash clothes, etc...you don't seem to be heavy enough to need to burn 1000+ and maybe you should use some of that energy eating some healthy foods, lol!
  • Cindigirl
    Options
    wow Lacigirl: awesome....... wish i had that motavation! keep up the good work
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You can go over what your body can handle. The first time I did a kick boxing class, I went full speed. I felt awesome! The next day I was so sore I literaly could not stand up straight. I felt muscles I didn't know existed! You may not realize you have overdone it right away. Put that energy into a project around the house you have been putting off!
  • jdigjudy
    Options
    I think that there is, like ouryear002 said, if you overdo it, then you lose another day (well, something like that). So, might be better to work up to it - with your baby, you might be tired more than you were before (or sleep deprived!), so working out sometimes can double that exhausted feeling.
    Those energy drinks -- don't have enuff experience to really say, but I'd again agree, do your workout and if you still have energy, put it into other things... unless, of course, you really LIKE your workout!!! :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Well today i have burned MANY calories! Is there such a thing as burning too many or too much excercise?

It depends on what your gaols are really. If you are building up aerobic endurance and fancy marathon running it is probably a good thing.

If fat loss and overall health is your main goal then it may be counter productive to do so much. One reason is that excessive cardio is catabolic and can burn muscle tissue. Less muscle means lower BMR meaning lower fat loss potential if calorie intake remains the same.

However the principal reason it is a bad idea is the stress that too much cardio puts on your body and joints. To be healthy is being injury free in my view. You are opening yourself up to greater potential to hurting yourself or over taxing your joints. In addition there is an increased likelihood of overtraining which could put your out of action for several days / weeks until your body recovers. It is so easy to forget our bodies need adequate rest time and that is vital for health and fat loss.

In my view 45 mins - 1 hour cardio a day at a reasonable (not high intensity) is no problem. If you exceed that amount of time or intensity then be careful.
  • Lacigirl11
    Options
    I enjoy working out and i havent missed a day i just work out the soreness each and every day so that help my body get used to it im jsut so outta shape! i havent done excercises that i work really really hard some of it is even just from playing the Wii
  • Lacigirl11
    Options
    I enjoy working out and i havent missed a day i just work out the soreness each and every day so that help my body get used to it im jsut so outta shape! i havent done excercises that i work really really hard some of it is even just from playing the Wii