Not "feeling the burn"

Options
A couple months ago, I started going to the gym to run and to use the weight machines. I started going a few times a week at the beginning of June. At first whenever I jogged for a while or lifted weights I would feel that pleasant burn in my muscles. It would feel like I was accomplishing something, and my muscles would usually ache a bit the next day.

Now, I don't feel that anymore. And yet, when I try to run faster or for longer increments, or if I raise the weight on the machines, I just feel too shaky and weak to do it, and even if I do manage to do a few reps, I still don't "feel it" in my muscles the way that I was early on.

I just always associated that feeling with the fact that the workout was working, and I associated the faint soreness the following day with success. And now, without them, I feel like I'm not going to be making any progress. Should I be worried, or am I fussing over nothing?

Replies

• Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    As long as you're being honest about how much you're pushing yourself you shouldn't worry.

That being said, try going for failure. Choose a weight just under that weight that makes you feel shaky after only a few reps. At this slightly lower weight, don't stop at a certain rep number. Just keep going until your muscles give out on you.

Also, can't stress enough how much more you'll feel a burn if you pick up some dumbells and plates. If it's something you're interested in, look into a good program.
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    As long as you're being honest about how much you're pushing yourself you shouldn't worry.

That being said, try going for failure. Choose a weight just under that weight that makes you feel shaky after only a few reps. At this slightly lower weight, don't stop at a certain rep number. Just keep going until your muscles give out on you.

Also, can't stress enough how much more you'll feel a burn if you pick up some dumbells and plates. If it's something you're interested in, look into a good program.

I've been thinking of switching to free weights at some point in the future here. The only thing is that I'd want to get a personal trainer first, because I'm so new to weightlifting. Right now I'm going to Planet Fitness because it's so cheap, but as soon as I get the money I want to start going to a nicer gym where I can get a trainer.
  • yosassi
    yosassi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about changing your routine altogether? I had that experience once and it made me realise that my body got used to the workout I was doing to the point where it needed to maintain the status quo. I would suggest looking into group classes at the gym. I know those may put people out of their comfort zone, but they are a way to restart your fitness plan. If you prefer at home workouts, I can suggest a couple of those. I agree with Aliciaaah on the pilates! I never thought I would enjoy that sort of workout, but it is the one from which I have seen the most results. Let me know if you are interested and good luck! Feel free to message me if you want any suggestions!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    And yet, when I try to run faster or for longer increments, or if I raise the weight on the machines, I just feel too shaky and weak to do it, and even if I do manage to do a few reps, I still don't "feel it" in my muscles the way that I was early on.

I just had a look through your diary, it doesn't look like you are logging exercise so it's not clear whether you're adequately fuelled or not. While your calorie goal is reasonable you're petty inconsistent around whether you hit it or not, so if you're not compensating for exercise calories it may be that you're under-fuelled.
  • bobbyguns
    bobbyguns Posts: 33
    Options
    That "burn" you're referring to is lactic acid building up in your muscles. It's not required for muscle growth (hypertrophy), which is what I'm assuming you're after if you're weight training. However, if you increase the weight and repetitions, eventually (usually after 45 seconds of time under tension) you will feel the burn. Also, try slowing down your reps concentrating on the full extension and contraction of the muscle being trained. I guarantee you will feel it then. But again, you could also increase the weight even more, do less reps and not "feel" anything. I only get lactic acid buildup when I do cardio, lol....
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Don't judge yourself on "the burn" as you body gets stronger and used to exercise you will get it less and less, this does not mean you are not pushing yourself!

if mentally you feel you have done a good work out you shouldn't need to measure it by "the burn"
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I've often wondered the same thing. I have the same problem however I have a joint disease and I'm scared of hurting myself. When I reach the 100lbs lost mark, I'm treating myself to a trainer as a reward. Hopefully he will teach me about free weights and I'll get to feel the burn without hurting my joints.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Don't judge yourself on "the burn" as you body gets stronger and used to exercise you will get it less and less, this does not mean you are not pushing yourself!

if mentally you feel you have done a good work out you shouldn't need to measure it by "the burn"

this
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    It's usually when a muscle hasn't been worked in a while or you're working it in a different way. If you're doing similar machines/routines each time, you're not going to feel that burn as much.

I also like the burn, it makes me feel accomplished. XD
  • nezzyphresh
    Options
    Try a group Cycling Class, or group fitness in general... that may get that burn you want! That "burning/itching" feeling you used to feel when you first started was literally the circulation to your extremities increasing. All your little capillaries were expanding from all the exercise. Once you've been at exercising for awhile the initial stretch the circulation will become the norm. You've reached a new "homeostasis" time to switch up your workout routine!