Weight lifting.. Help?

Options
Hi. :)
So today i finally got some decent information from a trainer in my gym. I actually had an appointment for their free weights program. It's one 'for woman' or for 'people who haven't "lifted" yet' and such.. The only free weight involved was a 4 kg dumbell.....
Anyways, i asked for some help on the stronglifts 5x5 exercises.

The trainer at the gym helped me out very well and i was so happy i finally got into that weight room! it was much better than i expected. I did the exercises with the empty bar (the bar was 10kg.)
(Oh and by the way, i felt really awsome too :D)

But...
the rest of this week i won't have any time to go to the gym because i have to work more than usual..
Next week i can start the program for real (it's 3 days/week)
But the week after that i'm going on vacation.. What should i do?
Wait untill i get back from vacay? or won't it matter much missing a week already?

Also, I did a bench press but when i was doing it the bar was very wiggly, i had a hard time balancing it, any tips for this??
The trainer told me i can use the smith machine for it. (but that felt super easy?)

And my last question;
the stronglift 5x5 program recommends starting the deadlift with 40 kg, but the trainer said it's a very hard exercise and adviced me to start with an empty bar too. He didn't start his deadlift with the bar laying on the ground. He held it in his hands standing up straight and then brought it down, and up again..
Can i keep on doing this when i'm going to add weight to the bar?

Replies

• Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Breaks from Stronglifts (like your vacation) is fine. Just pick up where you left off.

Do NOT use the smith machine for fixing your bench press. It'll be worse for your form, and your weaker stabilizing muscles, which are probably why the bar was wobbly in the first place, won't get much stronger. If you feel like you can't handle the doing the bar, you are better off using dumbells than the smith.

Finally, for deadlifts, try the 40kg starting weight first. Deadlifts (for Stronglifts) should be started from the floor to be done properly. If you must go lower or empty bar, use some kind of stand or a stack of weights so that the bar is starting from about the same height as if it had a normal set of plates on it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    The trainer told me i can use the smith machine for it. (but that felt super easy?)

Definitely, no. Smith machines can have their application but not in SL5x5.
    And my last question;
    the stronglift 5x5 program recommends starting the deadlift with 40 kg, but the trainer said it's a very hard exercise and adviced me to start with an empty bar too. He didn't start his deadlift with the bar laying on the ground. He held it in his hands standing up straight and then brought it down, and up again..
    Can i keep on doing this when i'm going to add weight to the bar?

The conventional deadlift is something in which you don't focus on the eccentric portion of the lift, control it so you don't piss people off but not to the point that the eccentric is a fatiguing part of the lift; slamming the weight a little is fine regardless of what people tell you. IF, the gym has 10lb bumper plates (same size as a 45lb plate) use those to practice the lift from the correct position. If not, stack some weights (or something) until the bar is about mid-shin and practice the deadlift from there. That is one of the bigger errors I see people make with the conventional deadlift; in that they pick-up the bar from a half-rack or squat rack, lower it, then come up. No, the conventional deadlift starts from the ground and primarily focuses on the concentric portion of the lift. This is not the same as the romanian deadlift.

As for SL5x5, you should start it. If anything, take the first week to just learn the form even if it takes more than 5 sets, just practice so when you get back from the trip your form should be a little more comfortable for you. When you get back just start with the bar and progress normally. That would be my recommendation.
  • Zoe_lifts
    Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    thanks ! :)
  • 53welshlady
    53welshlady Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You don't have to start with the Olympic bar if it is too heavy, most gyms have made up bars that are lighter - or use dumbbells. You will quickly reach the stage where you can handle the Oly bar safely.
  • SMKean90
    SMKean90 Posts: 55
    Options
    I go to crossfit classes, they are really good there, and if you get into it (like i have) you can uild up equipment at home for busy days at work. I too find exercise hard to schedule in as a working mum on my own, and i travel a lot, which i s why i like classes as you can go to them when it is convenient and people are so supportive, but on a day like today where i cant go as im travelling, im going to do a home work out.
    At the classes there is a lot more variation than a programme at the gym, which helps if you get bored easily like i do!
    Feel free to add me :)
  • Zoe_lifts
    Options
    I go to crossfit classes, they are really good there, and if you get into it (like i have) you can uild up equipment at home for busy days at work. I too find exercise hard to schedule in as a working mum on my own, and i travel a lot, which i s why i like classes as you can go to them when it is convenient and people are so supportive, but on a day like today where i cant go as im travelling, im going to do a home work out.
    At the classes there is a lot more variation than a programme at the gym, which helps if you get bored easily like i do!
    Feel free to add me :)
    Oh but it's only next week that i have to work extra :) !
    So usually i go to the gym about 4 times a week :D
    Was also thinking of trying a crossfit class..
    But i think i'll do the stronglifts program and less cardio than i'm doing now..
  • Zoe_lifts
    Options
    Also, would it be okay to lift on monday morning and do zumba the same day in the evening?
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Yeah just start now and then go back. I'm doing the 5x5 programme. Last few weeks I haven't been well and never went to gym for 3 weeks :(. Went back to gym mon, lowered the weights a little to where I last left off incase. I was fine just back to normal. Thing a are gonna creep up sometimes in life as long as you know you'll go back it's fine :).
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Also with the Zumba I'd see how you are on the day. I do a bit extra apart from 5x5 and some days I'm crawling out of gym and others I feel like I could do more. Just be careful as you do want your muscles to breathe and to grow.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If you're going on holiday, you'll probably have to go back to where you started when you return, but no reason not to do it. Use that week to get the form nailed. Then when you come back, you're ready to start the program for real, and can add weight straight away as you are comfortable with the form.

For the zumba, just see how you feel, you're not a pro bodybuilder, so don't worry if it's not 100% optimal for recovery from the weight training session. I doubt it's so intense that it will cause over training, and if you enjoy it, do it.