Gaining Weight By Walking?

Options
2»

Replies

• homemadehippy
    homemadehippy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I gained 2 lbs when I first started walking this spring. I always have a little gain when I add something new to my exercise routine, but then it comes off the next week. From what I've read, when you use a muscle or joint that you haven't used much in the past, your body surrounds it with fluid to help cushion it for a few days. Kind of like a blister cushions a sore spot on your foot. It protects the joint/muscle from further injury. As long as you are measuring and logging properly, the weight will come off. Don't give up ! :)
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    weight will fluctuate often daily. naturally. if you dont already, save yourself sanity and weigh only once a week on the same day of the week, at the same general time of day in the same state of dress or undress. try to resist the urge to weigh daily.

as you work out weight loss will start to look like it is decreasing, hen in fact you are rebuilding or building muscle. especially if you werent using them much for a long time and now use them very regularly.

i have been stuck at the same weight for month and a half but i took up running around that time. my measurements are lower and my legs are rediculously toned and thin (not caught up with my mid section yet)

try taking measurements every couple weeks too, see if you are losing size even if your weight isnt changing.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Walking for 10 minutes 3 times a week won't do much at all, regardless - it's a good start to something that will help, but you need to have a higher heart rate for 15 minutes minimum for it to be effective in any way. It won't make you gain weight. Try being diligent with calorie counting and don't include the calories burned from walking until you're walking at least 30 minutes a day (for now).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    weight will fluctuate often daily. naturally. if you dont already, save yourself sanity and weigh only once a week on the same day of the week, at the same general time of day in the same state of dress or undress. try to resist the urge to weigh daily.

as you work out weight loss will start to look like it is decreasing, hen in fact you are rebuilding or building muscle. especially if you werent using them much for a long time and now use them very regularly.

i have been stuck at the same weight for month and a half but i took up running around that time. my measurements are lower and my legs are rediculously toned and thin (not caught up with my mid section yet)

try taking measurements every couple weeks too, see if you are losing size even if your weight isnt changing.

O.......M.......G. The OP states they are in a caloric deficit and only added 10min of walking. It's not muscle building affecting the scale, especially at 1-2lbs per week. Steady state cardio just doesn't do that, especially 10 min of walking.

Sorry OP, I'm not trying to be harsh.

There may be some water weight there, my question since you were losing before exercising is:

Are you eating back exercise calories? If so, what %? What are you using to estimate the burn.
  • luckyFairy81
    luckyFairy81 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Check your Thyroid levels. I gained almost 10 pounds due to low thyroid levels.

The more i diet ,the more i used to gain.

This is because of screwed metabolism.

say you are eating 1200 cal /day,and your Metabolic rate is say 1400. that means you are eating 200 cal less ,so you have to reduce weight. But if your body slows its metabolism because of bad endocrhrine system and wrong signals it recieved ,that means if your metabolic rate is reduced to 1100 ,that means even though you are eating less ,you will will still gain weight ,beacuse as per your body ,you are consuming 100 cal extra,

so check your blood work if you find any issue
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It definitely isn' tmuscle. I'm not trying to sound rude, but I highly doubt the op is going to build muscle from 10 minutes of walking.

Most likely case scenario is one of the following:
    1) It isn't an actual gain, but a fluctuation. As it is normal for weight to occasionally go up or down 1-2 lbs, even on maintenance. When I'm really bad bloated (gallbladder disease and ED recovery suck) I can gain FIVE lbs! If I freaked out over that, I'd never be sane lol It's not a real gain, though. Just bloating. As can be the case for any minimal gain.
    2) If the Op is logging the ten minutes of walking and eating back the exercise calories, they could be overestimating the calories burned. Walking at a moderate pace doesn't burn much at all. I think I burn like 20 or 30 calories walking for 10 minutes. That's it. Walking slowly burns less. I would guess that it'sone of thesethings.
  • amandawillard3551
    Options
    I've lost 14lbs in a month, by roughly sticking to 1200 calories per day (sometimes over coz of meals out), plus I walk at least 3 miles every day and the most being 15 miles in a day. But reckon over the month I've averaged about 5-6 miles per day. So walking has helped me. It has also given me more energy to be more active around the house and garden, which means I'm burning more calories without even realising it, and the house and garden are tidier :)

I only log the walks I do as a "work out" and not the day to day moving about, so if I walk to the post box and back, that doesn't count in my log. I also tend to round down my walking minutes, so over the month I'll be burning more calories than I've logged from walking.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone can gain weight by walking. By walking you can maintain your weight but can not gain. To gain weight need to eat more than your daily need.