What to do??

Options
You know when those "once-in-a-lifetimes" come along? Well, I finally got mine and I'm not sure whether to take it and run or say "no thanks."

My husband and I were married a little young, we have 2 children, and we will be celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary in January. We have never had a honeymoon, and we haven't been alone overnight for 3 years now, with the exception of the birth of my second daughter, who is now 16 months.

Well, my husband found a great deal on a 7 day getaway to Mexico. He is very excited, and he' s not generally the type who wants to take such a big trip, but he is very excited, wants to go get passports now and the whole nine yards.

I want to be so excited...I mean, we DESERVE THIS.. My husband has had his own construction business since he was 18, has a great rep. around town, and works his *kitten* off! I have been a stay at home mom for 4 years now, and alone time with my husband is rare.

Can I possibly leave my kids for 7 days? I am very close to my 16 month old right now as we are finishing up breastfeeding.

Has anyone left their kids for that long? Is that not right to leave in February still having children so young? Becca will be 4 1/2, and Alli will be 21 months. So many thoughts cross my mind. What if something bad happens while we're gone? Who wants to watch 2 kids for a week straight? How will Alli do. Most of all I feel guilty, but at the same time, I need that time with my husband. :heart:

AHHH! What's everyone's opinion on this, please? :sad:

Replies

• AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You know when those "once-in-a-lifetimes" come along? Well, I finally got mine and I'm not sure whether to take it and run or say "no thanks."

My husband and I were married a little young, we have 2 children, and we will be celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary in January. We have never had a honeymoon, and we haven't been alone overnight for 3 years now, with the exception of the birth of my second daughter, who is now 16 months.

Well, my husband found a great deal on a 7 day getaway to Mexico. He is very excited, and he' s not generally the type who wants to take such a big trip, but he is very excited, wants to go get passports now and the whole nine yards.

I want to be so excited...I mean, we DESERVE THIS.. My husband has had his own construction business since he was 18, has a great rep. around town, and works his *kitten* off! I have been a stay at home mom for 4 years now, and alone time with my husband is rare.

Can I possibly leave my kids for 7 days? I am very close to my 16 month old right now as we are finishing up breastfeeding.

Has anyone left their kids for that long? Is that not right to leave in February still having children so young? Becca will be 4 1/2, and Alli will be 21 months. So many thoughts cross my mind. What if something bad happens while we're gone? Who wants to watch 2 kids for a week straight? How will Alli do. Most of all I feel guilty, but at the same time, I need that time with my husband. :heart:

AHHH! What's everyone's opinion on this, please? :sad:
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I saw go for it. I have been married for 11 years and have never had a honeymoon either. I know it is hard to be away from your kids especailly when they are so young. My 10 yr old went on his first camping trip for 3 nights with the cub scouts with out me and I missed him so much. IF it is family that will be watching your kids then at least you know they are in good hands. ON the other hand I havent been away from my children for very long. Although my parents did come and take them to florida for a week 2 years ago and I missed them like crazy. But with picture phones and computers now adays you can always see them.

Not sure if this helped you at all LOL

Connie

86258.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I went for 5 days once - my sister watched my kids for me -

it was hard but I was glad I did it

good luck
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Let me give you a guy point of view. Take it with a grain of salt as I am recently divorced.

GO ON THE VACATION. Ok, maybe going from not spending the night alone to spending a week in Mexico is one extreme to another. But trust me when I tell you that you need your time away from the kids, and whether they realize it or not, your kids away from you. I have many a female friend who are never apart from their children, and almost without exception there are huge issues when the kids start school. Plus, you and your hubby deserve time together to be a couple, especially if you got married young. Doesn't sound like you had much chance to be a couple before you had kids, so you definitely need that going forward. Just one guy's opinion.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I, personally, think you should pack your bags and run with your sweetie. Your kids will be just fine. Can they maybe stay with your parents for half of the week and then his parents for the other half? I'm sure that someone will be willing to watch them and let you guys have some time alone.

I know that it's hard to feel like you deserve it, but you do. Being a SAHM is one of the hardest, most demanding jobs there is, and you deserve to have a good time in Mexico with your hubby.

I know that I would feel the same way you do, and waffle about going or not, but think about it...If you don't go, will you regret it? I know I would.
  • Kirsti
    Kirsti Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you! Married young, no honeymoon and a SAHM to my boys.......

TAKE THE VACATION :laugh:

If you have someone who is willing to watch your babies for a week, then go and enjoy and don't feel bad about it! You and your husband deserve the vacation and the alone time will be wonderful for you both!
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I don't have children yet, so I can only imagine how hard it is to leave them for a week, but I do know how important quality time with the Hubby is!

Getting that much needed alone time will only serve to strengthen your relationship, which is good for the kiddies. I say you should definately go, your little ones will be just fine.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    AND, I forgot to mention, Alli is SUCHHHH a momma's girl! Sometimes she cries if her daddy is holding her and I walk out of the room! She's been like that since she was 4 months. Babysitters are hard to come by with her being like that....but the only people I would ever trust my kids with would be family. Period.
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    Go! Time alone with your hubby is a gift and believe it or not, your kids will be fine.
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Same thing here, kinda.
    We are going to a wedding in Oct. Only 2 nights away, but still, I really have an empty feeling in the pit of my stomach thinking of leaving my kids. I have a 5, 3, and 19 month old. I have never spent a night apart from them. They are staying with family and I know they will be ok, but still.....

But I realize that it is important for us, as wives, to connect with our husbands outside of the kids and our daily life.
    I wish you the best!
  • Steffykins
    Steffykins Posts: 176
    Options
    AND, I forgot to mention, Alli is SUCHHHH a momma's girl! Sometimes she cries if her daddy is holding her and I walk out of the room! She's been like that since she was 4 months. Babysitters are hard to come by with her being like that....but the only people I would ever trust my kids with would be family. Period.

I was like that with my Mum until a late age! Her and my Dad went away on an anniversary break and when she came back I remember thinking "Huh so when she leaves, she isn't leaving for good! She WILL come back!" Hahahaha it sounds stupid, but it made my first day at school and things that like a LOT easier. And it sounds like you guys REALLY deserve it!! :flowerforyou:
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    OMG go! You may never have a chance like this again! As kids get older it is harder to get away even though you would think it would be easier. I have two kids (15 and 18) and with their schedules, it is impossible to get away.
    You deserve a break and your kids will do great without you and your hubby while your gone. Remember that kids know how to get to your heart (crying when you leave the room etc). I bet after you go, they will be just fine.
    Enjoy!!! :smile:
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Go for it while you have the chance.
    Do you have any family around who can watch the kids?
    Time is going to pass faster and faster and you might as well go now while you have the youth to enjoy all the fun and crazy things?
    It will be hard to leave your kids behind, what could possibly happen while your gone?
    I hope you do go and be adventurous!
    remember, dont eat the worm
  • rosemarymint
    rosemarymint Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The vacation is a must. I am not married, and I am not a SAHM, but I am a single mother. Last summer my daughter went away to camp for a week, and it was the best week. I had time to myself, to do what I wanted when I wanted. Sure I missed her, but she will go every summer from now on....cherish the time alone with your husband, you never know when you will get the opportunity again. My vote RUN!!!!!:tongue: